What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Can only appologise for the potato phone camera photo.

This is my first ever watch. Never worn watches as I have tiny wrists and think they look stupid. However this is the first "big face" watch I've really like the look of.

Sm6ZkME.png

Associate
None...last watch the batteries went flat and I've not got round to replacing them. Now I've not worn one so long I'm not bothered. Interested to see what Smart Watches come out this year though.

Soldato
I pulled the trigger on an Ocean 1 Black last week. I have been lusting after a Steinhart for well over a year now.

To sum up my feelings after this late night Christmas impulse Baileys fuelled purchase:

+ Ceramic bezel

+ Would need a beater homage if I was ever to go down the sub route in the future :p

- Remembered that a cyclops magnifier on a watch is the root of all things evil

+ Soldering iron or sharp knife cyclops removal technique could on the cards ;)

Swings and roundabouts. ;)

Soldato
I'm a bit nervous about it I got to say Ray, I have always thought that they get in the way. Shall see how it fairs when it arrives, probably next week.

It's a hell of a lot of watch for the money if you're willing to accept the homage aspect of it. The ceramic bezel option was what tipped me over the edge versus their other offerings in a similar price bracket. Sapphire crystal + ceramic bezel + swiss movement. It's a mighty tempting spec list and I suspect it will stand up to quite a fair amount of accidental abuse.

Caporegime
I'm a bit nervous about it I got to say Ray, I have always thought that they get in the way. Shall see how it fairs when it arrives, probably next week.

It's a hell of a lot of watch for the money if you're willing to accept the homage aspect of it. The ceramic bezel option was what tipped me over the edge versus their other offerings in a similar price bracket. Sapphire crystal + ceramic bezel + swiss movement. It's a mighty tempting spec list and I suspect it will stand up to quite a fair amount of accidental abuse.

I've had it over 15 months now, here is my take on it. I have the bog standard mode, no ceramic bezel.

Very good spec.
Fairly accurate...for an automatic.
The crystal is still scratch free after all this time.
I have scratched the bezel when accidentally wacked it against a metal desk whilst on holiday
a month ago, a link came off, the pin is screw in, it must have worked itself loose over the year. Luckily I managed to find it and put it back, with no tools but my finger nail (!)

Soldato
Sounds overall positive and it could be a keeper if I can live with the data magnifier.

I remember reading that the links are screw in, much prefer it to be that way.

Sorry to hear about the scratch. Character forming some say though!

Caporegime
Sounds overall positive and it could be a keeper if I can live with the data magnifier.

I remember reading that the links are screw in, much prefer it to be that way.

Sorry to hear about the scratch. Character forming some say though!

Well, it's on the bezel, they actually sell replacements so in theory i can replace it for like £20. It's not a big deal. :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's one of the great benefits of having a Microbrand watch, parts are easily purchasable and the makers are often more than happy to go a little extra mile for a happy customer.

Anything with a more well known brand name and prices start in triple digits and only climb fast for stuff like new bracelets :eek:

Thankfully whatever the piece you have most things can be user serviceable such as scuffs and scratches, link pins/bars and suchlike can be sourced online at reduced rates too.

Still, having the option is always good.

Man of Honour
I pulled the trigger on an Ocean 1 Black last week. I have been lusting after a Steinhart for well over a year now.

To sum up my feelings after this late night Christmas impulse Baileys fuelled purchase:

+ Ceramic bezel

+ Would need a beater homage if I was ever to go down the sub route in the future :p

- Remembered that a cyclops magnifier on a watch is the root of all things evil

+ Soldering iron or sharp knife cyclops removal technique could on the cards ;)

Swings and roundabouts. ;)

I sacrificed the option of a ceramic bezel to avoid the cyclops and ended up with the Vintage Red:

Steinhart%20Vintage%20Red.jpg

But actually over this past year I've come round to the idea of a cyclops; it doesn't offend me nearly as much as it used to. My experience with my Steinhart has been very similar to Ray's.

Scratch free crystal but links that work themselves loose. I tightened all the screws with a tiny screwdriver a few months ago and they've stayed tight ever since, though.

I try to keep it wound by wearing it at least every other day, not least because getting the screw-down crown to bite and sit tightly against the watch is quite difficult. It sometimes feels as if I'm over-winding the watch when I'm just trying to tighten the crown up.

But yes. Lots of watch for the money, no doubt about that. I'd love one of their refreshed O1 Vintage Military pieces but it's just too similar to mine to justify, or so I keep telling myself!

Soldato
I sacrificed the option of a ceramic bezel to avoid the cyclops and ended up with the Vintage Red:

Steinhart%20Vintage%20Red.jpg

But actually over this past year I've come round to the idea of a cyclops; it doesn't offend me nearly as much as it used to. My experience with my Steinhart has been very similar to Ray's.

Scratch free crystal but links that work themselves loose. I tightened all the screws with a tiny screwdriver a few months ago and they've stayed tight ever since, though.

I try to keep it wound by wearing it at least every other day, not least because getting the screw-down crown to bite and sit tightly against the watch is quite difficult. It sometimes feels as if I'm over-winding the watch when I'm just trying to tighten the crown up.

But yes. Lots of watch for the money, no doubt about that. I'd love one of their refreshed O1 Vintage Military pieces but it's just too similar to mine to justify, or so I keep telling myself!

That was another one the potential list for my first Steinhart, they do have some great watches at very attractive prices. I think I may be ok with the cyclops, I think I'll know quite quickly if it's a keeper or not. Am tentative at the moment.

I've noticed that quite a large number of people are unhappy about the refreshed Vintage Military, as the dial colouring is now a grey/charcoal colour rather than the previous black.

Soldato
I've just ordered an Ocean One black too, no ceramic bezel though - Don't like how it kills the marking around the edge. If they did the ceramic bezel but with the brighter markers of the aluminium version I'd be on it. I was also tempted by the red for the lack of cyclops (I prefer no date subs like uniQ's above), but the greener lume doesn't look as good as the white of the standard Black One, IMO.

Again, it's all the little things. I'd pay double if Steinhart offered a 'watch builder' section where you could customise all your own bits! Interested to see just how good this thing is though - Heard lots of good things about them especially for the price. I wouldn't want to spend much more for a beater.

Back
Top Bottom