What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
I wondered if anyone has a view on this vintage speedmaster.The serial appears to be correct for year but the bezel appears to be from a much later watch (so I assume the glass is too). Also there is some damage to the face between 1 and 2 and from the images I suspect the hands may have been painted.

Would all of these significantly devalue it or does it seem about right for year and condition?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/381168318547?nav=SEARCH

Thanks.

Associate
I wondered if anyone has a view on this vintage speedmaster.The serial appears to be correct for year but the bezel appears to be from a much later watch (so I assume the glass is too). Also there is some damage to the face between 1 and 2 and from the images I suspect the hands may have been painted.

Would all of these significantly devalue it or does it seem about right for year and condition?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/381168318547?nav=SEARCH

Thanks.

you must really want a moon watch i guess. if its a genuine pre-moon watch then its worth it, but id hold out for one in a bit better condition and where the seller knows whats hes selling. From what I know it needs to have a specific calibre to be considered a pre-moon, otherwise you may as well get any year. Looks like it needs a decent service too.

Associate
Thanks for the feedback. The reason for wanting a 1969 is because of my birthday (21st July 69 when Apollo 11 had landed on the surface).

Another option, although slightly out of budget is a 40th anniversary addition:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231499100385?nav=SEARCH

It would be my only watch and certainly the only expensive watch I have ever bought.

Honestly.. I'd dump the idea of getting a birth year watch if its your only watch. No issues buying second hand but you could get something in much much better condition than the moon watch you linked earlier. Also bear in mind the moon watch speedy is a manual calibre and you might prefer an auto? I'd have a look at the Tudor range at your price point too. GOTO chrono24 and get some ideas

Associate
Hades,

If you're wearing every day then I can't see a problem with a manual wind. Winding your watch in the morning is a nice little routine to follow. If you go for an original condition vintage model do remember that unless the dial and hands have been replaced there will be no life left in the lume.

Other than that a well maintained Speedy will be fine as an everyday wear. Remember to budget for a service maybe every 5 years or so. If it has the Hesalite rather than sapphire crystal you'll probably want to get some Polywatch to polish out any scratches.

Couple of pages that might be worth a read:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/vintage-speedmaster-daily-wearer-689310-print.html

http://blog.dreamchrono.com/2014/05/vintage-omega-speedmaster-buyers-guide/

With a manual wind I'd also be sorely tempted to get a crystal case back fitted to see the movement! - see here:

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=21

As an aside, my Rolex GMT Master is now 44 years old (like me) and keeps very good time. It loses about 3 seconds during the day when worn and when I take it off at night I lay it face down and it gains the 3 seconds back again. It's actually the most consistent mechanical watch I own and I wouldn't hesitate to wear it every day if I wasn't rotating it with my other watches.

Good luck with your search!

Man of Honour
Thank you both. Yes I do like the Tudors but given my birth date then I think a speedy is the right watch. And if it's a speedy then it has to be a manual wind. Vintage vs new is still a difficult one but I guess it depends what comes up. I will pass in the vintage one I linked to as I think I wouldn't be happy with the condition.

Thanks again.

Associate
If you go for an original condition vintage model do remember that unless the dial and hands have been replaced there will be no life left in the lume.

Other than that a well maintained Speedy will be fine as an everyday wear. Remember to budget for a service maybe every 5 years or so. If it has the Hesalite rather than sapphire crystal you'll probably want to get some Polywatch to polish out any scratches.

Hades, just bear in mind that a lot of the value in vintage watches is tied up in the originality of them. If you buy an original speedy pre-moon and then have it serviced over-zealously it could well devalue it, as they may polish the case too far, replace hands etc. Its the original patina which gives the value. You certainly couldnt polish the hesalite too much, or replace the case back without it losing something of what makes it valuable.

Thats what I was thinking when I said bin the birth year idea. Id happily wear a vintage watch, but I wouldnt want that as my daily beater given all the imperfections, scratches, dinks and issues with lume etc.

Good luck in the speedie search. There are plenty about so you shouldnt have a major problem finding one, and they start at £2.5k new so should eaisly be in price range.

Soldato
Daily/work watch is a Casio G-Shock G2210, more 'dressy' watch is a Casio Edifice EF-539D-1AVEF. Only recently getting into watches, and have a very limited budget to work with atm (student, no money, lack of knowledge atm!).

Bought a MVMNT watch just yesterday, love the minimalist design and I've wanted a leather strapped watch for everyday/smart casual since getting into it all. I'll put up a little post on my impressions if people want?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
RJL0XlO.jpg

wNbp2jj.jpg

A hand made strap from the States arrived today. Really soft vegetable tanned leather with waxed linen thread and matte SS buckle. Not really seen any pics of the Pelagos on a decent leather strap yet.

I think a dark grey distressed leather one might be on the cards once this one wears out.

Soldato
I hate you guys. Now I've started taking an interest in watches - mainly due to having spent time recently with a watchmaker and being long involved in the engineering field.

Got a Tissot PRS516 on it's way to me now. As a kid I've never got along with watches - I always broke the things and then proceeded, like most of us do to rely on our mobiles for timekeeping. However I can't use my mobile at work (defence) so I do need a watch...or two and having spent some time with a watchmaker recently I was blown away at the sheer amount of work they do in assembling these things.

Caporegime
Yeah it's easier to check your wrist in a meeting (happens a lot) than pull your phone out.

They say you should never meet your heroes, but after a colleague bought this 116610LV today I had to try it on.

2IylGjM.jpg

The green sunburst dial is gorgeous. The glidelock clasp is awesome. I want one even more now, although I'd prefer a 114060 "no date" as the green is a little marmite.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Duty free prices often aren't that much cheaper, depending on wherever you are going you might be better off buying from a dealer. Especially if you're in the EU zone, seeing as the euro is shot to bits at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom