What watch do you wear?

Soldato
50 years old today

On 26th March 1965 I walked into Watches of Switzerland in New Street Birmingham and walked out with a new watch.

I had seen it in the window for a few weeks so asked my Mom and Dad if they would buy it for my 21st birthday.

Answer was yes and there it was – Mine – Up till then all my watches were made in China from recycled bed springs and were completely accurate to within 12 hours a day.

I did have a strap on it but soon got myself a bracelet.

It was on my arm every day till 1974 till it lost time and chrono stopped working – My wife treated me to a new Seiko automatic and so watch went in a drawer not to see light of day till 2009 when I sent it off to America to be cleaned and repaired - As it's a base metal watch it couldn't be polished so still has the battle scars of using big boys toys.

I now have that smile I had in 1965 whenever I put it on again. :):):)

411022997.jpg

At the time I hadn't a clue who or what Breitling were - not until late 1980's - should have treated myself to a new Navitimer every year and stashed it way.

Dave :D

Associate
Lovely story. Mine is similar, except I lost my 21st birthday watch within 2 years (left it on the bench at the the swimming pool like an idiot).

I didn't replace it until my father died and left me a small sum to do it with, but I also inherited my grandfather's Longines dress watch.

Caporegime
Can someone spec me a watch?

Had to put mine in for repair yesterday and it's going to take 8 weeks! :(

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd watch anyway. Any suggestions?

Has to be automatic, I like a clean face with thin pinpoint style hands (I don't like the chunky hands of most Steinherts for example) - leaning more towards a dress watch style watch.

Max budget £150-£200

Any suggestions? :)

Soldato
http://www.creationwatches.com/

Go nuts Jake. :p

For a super simple auto movement the Seiko 5s seem good value...especially ones like this but creation has loads of options at sensible pricing right now...they aren't manual wind though if that's an issue.

I'm sure others will have much better suggestions, I've just been eyeing up a replacement for my awful quartz watch and thought about the Seiko 5s (albeit the larger 42mm SNZG) but have decided I might as well wait and get a Kemmner Pilot when he's got stock and I have the spare cash.

E: I know naff all about watches though to be fair, so don't listen to me, listen to JanesyB and many of the other proper watch nerds. :D

Caporegime
Can someone spec me a watch?

Had to put mine in for repair yesterday and it's going to take 8 weeks! :(

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd watch anyway. Any suggestions?

Has to be automatic, I like a clean face with thin pinpoint style hands (I don't like the chunky hands of most Steinherts for example) - leaning more towards a dress watch style watch.

Max budget £150-£200

Any suggestions? :)

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...2/orient-classic-automatic-er24004b-3706.html

YnyYAit.jpg

One of them.

or

Pjiv132.jpg

http://www.seriouswatches.com/orient/automaat/orient-fd0j003a.html

Last edited:
Soldato
What are people's opinions of Frederique Constant, Raymond Weil and Baume & Mercier watches? I'm not a big fan of watches with too much going on, or ones that have steel bracelets, so I'm looking into the above brands because they seem to do simple and elegant styles. Any other brands I should be looking at? Max budget is about £1000.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I had that (Bambino) for a short while. The watch itself is very elegant and a nice throwback to the classic dress watch format. The strap was a bit pants though. The leather cracks very quickly. Amazing price but expect to add £15+ for a decent quality strap.

Back
Top Bottom