What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Can someone recommend me a diver's watch(not actually a diver, just prefer the look of them :p) for around £100?

I have seen a lot from Seiko but dont know which ones good for the price.

Thanks.

edit: Also like the looks of the Orient Ray/Mako. What are the chances of the watch being fake?(if possible) when buying from an eBay store/seller.

Massdrop have the Seiko SNZH range for about that, not really a true divers watch as it doesn't have a screw down crown.

Alternatively you can find a seller on Rakuten and get a Seiko SKX007 or 009 for around £80 and that's a proper ISO certified diver that will outlast you. There's a store called "seiko specialty store 3s" on Rakuten that I used and they were good - you just have to use google translate.

Orient Ray is a good shout too, screw down crown and it's a nice size and quite low profile whereas the Seikos are a bit chubbier. Cost me about £65 from Massdrop.

Speaking from experience for all 3 because I have too many watches... My wrist is just under 7" for reference.

SNZH53
4WmW9WV.jpg

SKX009
QSe7LnO.jpg

Ray
YjhKTrw.jpg

Others worth looking at are the Seiko SRP309 "Orange Monster" and the SNZF17.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the pictures!

Makes things a little easier.
Im now looking at the following:
SNZF17J1
Orient Ray
SKX007K

Did you have to pay any import tax when ordering from the shop from Rakuten?

Soldato
CreationWatches are good for Seiko and Orient lines too. I have an Orient Mako pepsi bezel I bought from ...I forget where, an Amazon retailer I think, some years ago, great watch, it's my cheapest watch too, I paid £100 for it. Very good value for money.

As for their authenticity ...I have never heard of anyone 'faking' watches at this price range really, about the cheapest watches I am aware of that you might see faked are Squale and we are up over £300 for any of their mechanicals

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks.
If you dont mind me asking, how much was the tax

The watch with postage was £75, tax was £15 and the handling fee was £5.

I also have a SNZF17J1 too...

yvWaOrQ.jpg

CreationWatches are good for Seiko and Orient lines too. I have an Orient Mako pepsi bezel I bought from ...I forget where, an Amazon retailer I think, some years ago, great watch, it's my cheapest watch too, I paid £100 for it. Very good value for money.

As for their authenticity ...I have never heard of anyone 'faking' watches at this price range really, about the cheapest watches I am aware of that you might see faked are Squale and we are up over £300 for any of their mechanicals

There's fake SKX007s around but you'd be unlucky to get one.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife bought me a Tag Heuer 300m Aquaracer Auto for my 40th two years ago. That went back twice in 8 months as the movement wasn't auto winding even in a watch winder. I swapped that watch for a Raymond Weil Freelancer which was all good until I went to Florida this summer and it developed condensation inside, so much so there was a bubble of water on the second hand as it went around. RW have said they need to replace all the insides under warranty including the face and hands but their warehouse in Switzerland is closed for reorganisation until Sept.

Now the shop this was purchased from has agreed to either replace the watch like for like or for me to pay some extra and buy a new watch, which is what I'm going to do. I have narrowed it down to two choices and dont want to spend any more, I just wondered whats peoples thoughts were on each watch.

The first is the new Tag 300m Aquaracer chrono Calibre 16 with the Sellita SW500 movement.

and the second is on sale at the minute which brings it into my price bracket is the Rado Hyperchrome Chrono with the ETA 2894-2 movement.

Im leaning towards the Rado but I am worried about how brittle the ceramic is although it will be on my house insurance for accidental damage.

I know Tag Heuer isn't particularly liked on here but I'd appreciate peoples comments on each.

Associate
Not very lucky with reliability there! When sinking that amount of money into a watch, you'd assume it'd be bulletproof in terms of QA really!

That Rado looks very nice... Personally if I had the problems you had with your Tag, I'd stay away... it's a pretty basic QA failure you had, and also failure to repair -- how can you trust them afterward...?

Soldato
bought my new daily wearer for work last week

Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph

unfortunately my photography skills don't do it justice

e0jx3m.jpg

http://uk.tissotshop.com/mens/mens-classic-collection/tissot-couturier-quartz-chronograph-6.html

Soldato
Im leaning towards the Rado but I am worried about how brittle the ceramic is although it will be on my house insurance for accidental damage.

I know Tag Heuer isn't particularly liked on here but I'd appreciate peoples comments on each.

Steer clear of the Tag - you've had one bad experience, and I'd let that steer you!

Can you give us a clue as to your total 'budget' (you've mentioned being able to return your failed piece and add cash)? So the total cash equivalent of the current watch and the amount you'll top it up to.

Soldato
The Tag is £2450 and that's the max I can go to. I am also limited to what's for sale on the Goldsmiths website. The Rado is on sale down from around 3k to 2270, I really like it but I'm unsure as to how brittle the ceramic is. There's a few reports of watches and bracelets shattering but the web isnt littered with them.

Tag on the other hand are apparantly trying to bring the brand quality back up and the new aquaracer seems to be a nicer watch and bracelet than the old model. The SW500 seems to be a reliable unit too. I am torn by how bad the last one was though.

Soldato
The Tag is £2450 and that's the max I can go to. I am also limited to what's for sale on the Goldsmiths website. The Rado is on sale down from around 3k to 2270, I really like it but I'm unsure as to how brittle the ceramic is. There's a few reports of watches and bracelets shattering but the web isnt littered with them.

Tag on the other hand are apparantly trying to bring the brand quality back up and the new aquaracer seems to be a nicer watch and bracelet than the old model. The SW500 seems to be a reliable unit too. I am torn by how bad the last one was though.

Ouch, yes, Goldsmiths...though they do do second hand pieces too. Is that an option?

An Omega that takes your fancy from a few years back?

Or a Speedmaster Professional perhaps? Take your pick from the options. My money would go on a manual wind, but they do do some Speedmasters with day/date functions too (although they're automatic and not the Speedmaster that would get my cash).

Man of Honour

A speedmaster is in budget with no discount. You end up with a brilliant quality, proven, icon

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-Moon-Mens-Watch/p/17333226/

Caporegime
I'm after a new watch and this has caught my eye...

CqH3yg5.jpg

Anyone got experience of the Edifice watches? Reviews seem to be very positive. I like the fact it's set and forget so it will always be the right time. :D

Back
Top Bottom