What's your (most tenuous) claim to fame?

Man of Honour
My uncle Tommy lived in Hollywood for close to 70 years and was an extra in many movies I am told. Passed away this year aged 97

Caporegime
I once lived in the same house as David Bailey and Marie Helvin.

And god first thing in the morning meeting her in the hall on the way to the local newsagent, she looked rough!

I also went to school with Ade Edmundson

Soldato
I once sold Angelina Jolie a phone, technically I sold her agent a phone as she didn't have a UK bank account, but it was for her.

Associate
Have met a couple of famous people in my time, Bernie Ecclestone & Chris Eubank probably most notable. I was once what I can only describe as the "ball boy" for the World Marbles Championships for a few years only due to the fact that I live down the road from the venue and me and my old man used to turn up when I was a boy and get stuck in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_World_Marbles_Championship

Soldato
Stephen Fry called up my then place of employment to ask why he couldn't get internet access. I asked where he was. He was in some little town deep in the Amazon rainforest. I pointed out that we didn't offer coverage in South America, never mind the Amazon rainforest. He seemed satisfied with that and went on his merry way.

Associate
Stephen Fry called up my then place of employment to ask why he couldn't get internet access. I asked where he was. He was in some little town deep in the Amazon rainforest. I pointed out that we didn't offer coverage in South America, never mind the Amazon rainforest. He seemed satisfied with that and went on his merry way.

What a peculiar but very interesting claim to fame :)

Soldato
My mum once gave Hugh Grant directions to the local sandwich shop when he was in our small town. Later, my mate's mum, working in the local golf club for which he was an occasional guest, saw him arrive and throw half a baguette in the bin, before buying some snacks.

Soldato
I played 7-a-side against Bristol City's Scott Murray, a former Scotland B-international :D

It was a few days before his final Bristol City appearance at the end of the 2008/9 season - His brother was in one of the teams in our league, and I guess he was using it as a sort of tune-up for his last game.

Despite being at the tail end of his modest, though solid, career he absolutely ripped us to shreds.

Soldato
I had a teacher at school who was once in the Crazy World of Arthur Brown (I am the god of hellfire and I bring you...)

I stood next to Branson at a Simple Minds gig as he was directing a movie oddly.

Richard Branson patted me on the head as a child. I think he was implanting genius or something.

edit: Also someone at work was recently on the final of Bbq Champ!

Associate
I once walked into Edward Fox and knocked him into the road.

I sat behind - that dreadful Scottish woman on breakfast TV, can't remember her name - on a flat back from Pisa.

I stood in a queue in front of John Nettles.

I was in the background in an opening sequence for an episode of Bergerac playing cricket (wish I could find that).

My parents sold their house to former boxer Billy Walker.

Associate
Some of mine

• My great uncle was Buster Edwards the great train robber
  • I have sold Timmy Mallet a Camcorder
  • In the early eighties my class at school was on a television programme with Chris Tarrant doing a piece on Thorpe Park. I was chosen to sit next to him on a ride while they filmed and was on telly.
  • I have sold football boots to Glen Hoddle for his son.

I have been met and had drinks / conversations with the following football players
Rudd Gullit
Zola
Dennis Wise
Lea Sharpe
Ian Rush

Associate
Amy Williams used to drink in my pub. Andy Partridge of XTC fame is a regular, and Van Morrison, Midge Ure and Peter Gabriel were occasional visitors. Brian May once came in on my night off (Grrrr!).
I've had a beer with Neil Morrissey, Rory McGrath, Ian Rankin and Andrew Marr, although not all at the same time. And I'm on first-name terms with Gary from Eastenders, did have his phone number once.
And I am (was) distantly related to both Thomas Hardy and Michael Ryan. Yes, that Michael Ryan...

Oh yeah, Michael Eavis has a huge water-feature statue in his garden- I sold him the pump to power it!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Used to live in the same village as Timothy Dalton's dad and sometimes used to chat with him in the local pub when he was visiting his parents.

Associate
OP
Thought of some more.

My mum's best friend used to be Paul McCartney's neighbour, and her son dated Stella for a while.

My cousin used to live next door to happy hardcore DJ Hixxy.

Apparently one of my wife's relatives runs the firm that was in charge of security at a Robbie Williams gig in Germany years ago when a fan stormed the stage and tried to attack him.

My uncle knew the guys who built the staircase in multi-millionaire Nicholas van Hoogstraten's mansion. NvH was convicted of conspiring to commit murder.

I stood next to Nicola Duffett, Nigel's wife in EastEnders back in the mid 90s, in Carphone Warehouse a couple of months back.

Back
Top Bottom