What's your (most tenuous) claim to fame?

Soldato
Been out for a night out with some of the top snooker players more than once, friends of a mate.

Met Jimmy White.

Was in Daniel Ayala's house the other week (Boro defender)

High fived Simon Webb (some boyband singer)

Bumped into Pierluigi Collina (bald football referee) coming out of the toilets at Schiphol airport.

Oh and nearly got run over by Shane Lynch at Teesside Autodrome when he took a corner too tightly (drifting) and he came straight at me when I was taking photos :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Great idea for a thread.

I saw Sting when I was about 12 in Turkey. I had no idea who it was at the time
I went on a 'date' (alton towers) many years ago with Eric Claptons daughter. Nothing good happened :(
I met timmy mallett in a club on a student night. He was doing some standup or something. It was as terrible as it sounds

Soldato
Met Frank Bruno at Odeon in Southampton many many years ago.

There are a couple more but involve my family and various relations, for that reason I won't detail these ones!

Soldato
once went white water rafting in Colorado with Harrison Ford and his kid.
My (then) brother in law had been teaching his son to snowboard in the winter.
At the time (I was young) I didn't equate Harrison Ford with the actor.
When we got back the penny dropped, I'd spent most of the time talking to his son (couple of years my junior).

Last edited:
Associate
I was on an ITV kids show once, I played a yob that threw a water container at an ice cream van!! Can't even remember what it was called.

Met Sean Connery quite a lot in a cafe in Belgravia, likewise Madonna jogging and her two gaurds and various MP's.

Associate
I used to go to the same school and played in the same team as Paul Caddis (Birmingham City player).

I got booked for snapping Steven Naismith (Everton player) when I was playing against him about 15 years ago.

I met Jasper Carrott in Majorca about 20 years ago.

I shared a flight to Ibiza with 3 Celtic players and many other Scottish footballers as I was attending my brothers stag and they were all joining Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic player) on his stag.

Associate
Kris Marshall is a semi-regular in my pub. Forgot to mention him before...
Stephen Fry, Jeremy Vine, Andrew Marr have all been in, Ali Vowles off of BBC Points West local news pops in from time to time, and Ashley Pharoah (Ashes to Ashes creator) is also a semi-regular. Chatted to him for an hour before I found out who he was. Lovely bloke.
Oh yeah, Jeremy Guscott too.
Mike Catt (few years back)
Did I mention Amy Williams? I did? Oh well, Amy Williams. I was sat down, she was stood nearby talking, and no joke, her, umm, situpon was about 6 inches from my face. Never been so tempted to earn myself a place on the register...
And yes, she's just got married. Sigh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lived next door to Joey Dunlop for a few months when I was a kid. Later painted a house for his brother Robert, two very down to earth guys. Both sadly killed in racing accidents.

Soldato
My favorite "tenuous" connection is that the office building I am working in (sitting right now) was regularly used as a film set for a few episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Their production office I believe use to be just around the corner.

Soldato
I sat next to Colin McRae once on an internal flight in Finland. He was out there testing and said that if I found out where he was testing and came down, he would take me for a spin. Never found out where he was testing. RIP Colin. :(

I used to speak to Julian Clairy quite a lot on the phone, a colleague of mine looked after his finances. He always made me laugh without trying to.

I also met Suggs a number of times as he used to bank in the branch I used to work in, in Camden. He even gave us one of their gold album plaques when one of their albums went gold. Can't remember which one it was. We hung it up in the branch.

Spoken to Jeff Lynne of Electric Light Orchestra fame a lot, as he was a client.

James Rushent of Does It Offend You, Yeah? used to be a very good mate of mine when we were young.

Colin McFarlane was at my Dads wedding last year. He is a very well dressed man and he told me my suit was 'dapper'. :D

Duncan Norvelle was a family friend when I was a kid. :o

Soldato
I was a BAe apprentice alongside the drummer from Fields Of The Nephilim.

I've stencilled "Tractor Spares" in Afrikaans on crates of weapons being shipped to South Africa in the 1980s.

I watched Piper Alpha burn.

Associate
I can be seen in a 1995 episode of MTV's Headbanger's Ball. Whilst Vanessa Warwick is speaking to the camera I can be seen in the background of Metallica's "snakepit" at Donington.

Still have it on VHS somewhere, but don't have a VHS player ha!

Back
Top Bottom