What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Associate
I have a few for different platofrms.

PS1 - Metal gear solid, i remember having it on a demo disc and played through it many times until i finally got the game and i think its the only game i have replayed 10+ times all the way through.

PC Online gaming- 3 games, Delta force 2 & Delta Force Black Hawk down, i played the crap out of these online and joined a clan and played matches, which was extremely fun and look back on them days fondly, still great friends with a few people 15 years later! And of course WoW Vanilla, nothing quite like it back in the day and i remember my first raiding experiences with 40 people, what a time that was!

Soldato

PS1 - Metal gear solid, i remember having it on a demo disc and played through it many times until i finally got the game and i think its the only game i have replayed 10+ times all the way through.

PC Online gaming- 3 games, Delta force 2 & Delta Force Black Hawk down, i played the crap out of these online and joined a clan and played matches, which was extremely fun and look back on them days fondly, still great friends with a few people 15 years later! And of course WoW Vanilla, nothing quite like it back in the day and i remember my first raiding experiences with 40 people, what a time that was!
But you have to choose one. So which is it?

Soldato
OP
Factorio made the list yet? I couldn't see it. The ultimate time sink and with the mods I just can't see it ever getting boring, and it's just so damn satisfying

Is that a firm vote for Factorio ?

If you can choose one for me :)

Soldato
If you were going by hours played, its Football Manager, but i wouldnt say its my favourite game off all time. Original Mafia was a consideration and i greatly enjoyed the remake.

My vote for game of all time would be Civilisation II. Its the only game ive ever played where i literally lost track of time playing it, i got so engrossed when i started playing it that a whole night went by and when i went down for dinner i thought id been playing for 30 mins, it was 6 hours later, my dinner was cold and my ex-wife was furious with me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is exactly why I created this thread, this kind of story :D games that absolutely engrossed us playing them!
Yeah and when that does not happen these days I just uninstall and move on. Civ games are bloody time sinks (in a good way).

As Mentalface Mark said hours and hours can go by without realising. Though I would not put Civ games in my top 10 as it is just a different type of game where you don't look by and think wow, that was cool..

Soldato
If I can only vote for one GOAT, that would be Witcher 3 with all expansions. It has ridiculously good writing and quest design, and it adapts and continues my favourite book saga. Gorgeous world to explore. It is as good as videogames can get.

witcher3_2016_08_25_28yqz6.png

However there are few more 10/10 games:

Kingdom Come Deliverance
Red Dead Redemption 2
Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas
Deus Ex
Vampire Bloodlines
Metal Gear Solid 2
Hitman Blood Money
Mafia
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Sleeping Dogs

Last edited:
Associate
For me the list is pretty clear
#1 Final Fantasy IX - cliched story of a guy chasing the princess but so many twists on the way, and even some philosophy, huge story and so much to do in the game. Much more vivid characters than 7 and by far the best soundtrack of any game in history.
#2 Mass Effect 2 - a game so good that mass effect 3 could not have succeeded in any universe. Multiple possible endings, branched gameplay, fun interactions between characters and amazing world-building.
#3 GTA: Vice City - perfect theme, vibes, music, gameplay was top fun. Best sense of humour of any game series in history.

WoW, Witcher 3, Civ4 and Rimworld are my next 4 but i don't know in what order.

Soldato
Majorly surprised there are no real sims on this list.

I've spent the last 25 years as a train sim addict (and now these days a developer)....
Still remember the first sim I ever found- Mechanik (DOS based, somewhere about 1997)
That almost gets the nomimation for the sheer amazement I felt when first running it :)

Then I moved onto the BVE series shortly thereafter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BVE_Trainsim
Created plenty of stuff for this :)

The story (and my nomination I suppose), ends with OpenBVE.
This started life as a clone of BVE for non-Windows systems, along with better animation etc. etc.
For some reason (I don't know why, really.....), I've managed to acquire the job of principle maintainer / developer for the engine well over 6 years ago now. Maddness!

http://openbve-project.net
http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom