When are you going fully electric?

Except my Ohme commando version. ;)
Ohme Go commando £465
Tesla mobile connector £180 plus Tesla commando pigtail £38.

It’s also discontinued and I’m pretty sure if you buy a new Ohme these days they only include smart features for 3 years. After that you have to pay and they don’t have WiFi so you have to pay use their data connection or it becomes a dumb charger.

Do I win?

Last edited:
Does legislation mandating smart charger new install , say whether they can fall-back/revert as dumb ? otherwise that remains a mechanism for govt to track kwh's

grannies - neighbour/id4 needed approval from his landlord to plugin a granny charger in garage, a hot topic for agencies.
I've not looked to see if the sockets are of good MK quality (if they are still a good brand), or chinesium, pressure washer, on 16A plug, hasn't cooked one yet though.

Wasn't aware it was a competition, but mine is over 3 years old and still works.

Anyhow was just pointing out that they do exist. *Shrug*

I know, I wasn't being entirely serious, more just to say you can get dirt cheap EVSE's if you don't need smart ones. More emoji's required next time.

It didn't used to be time limited but Ohme added the clause in a couple of years ago and its buried in the small print on their site, I don't imagine many people will have noticed it and will only find out after 3 years.

Does legislation mandating smart charger new install , say whether they can fall-back/revert as dumb ? otherwise that remains a mechanism for govt to track kwh's
Yes and put down the tinfoil.

grannies - neighbour/id4 needed approval from his landlord to plugin a granny charger in garage, a hot topic for agencies.
I've not looked to see if the sockets are of good MK quality (if they are still a good brand), or chinesium, pressure washer, on 16A plug, hasn't cooked one yet though.

It's just another 3 pin appliance, why would you even ask for permission in your home which you pay the utility bill for. Odd.

I know, I wasn't being entirely serious, more just to say you can get dirt cheap EVSE's if you don't need smart ones. More emoji's required next time.

It didn't used to be time limited but Ohme added the clause in a couple of years ago and its buried in the small print on their site, I don't imagine many people will have noticed it and will only find out after 3 years.
Im so excited as im nearly there, you will take great glee if it doesnt work anymore i suspect. :p

I’m pretty sure if you buy a new Ohme these days they only include smart features for 3 years. After that you have to pay and they don’t have WiFi so you have to pay use their data connection or it becomes a dumb charger.
oooo is that the case? that would really .... me off! I hope zappi have not slipped in that kind of nonsense. I am having some issues with my zappi install - hopefully getting sorted soon - and i was wishing i had gone for an Ohme pro however if that is the case then i am glad i didnt, i have no interest in paying a sub to run an electricity plug.
however i bet if you let it revert do dumb mode then features like Intelligent Octopus (which is the only reason i would want a smart charger over a dumb one) will stop.

Not really, my V2 hypervolt is now the ginger stepchild of their product stack, that’s life with consumer tech.
the hypervolt was another charge point i looked into, on the surface it seems great, it looks tidy (if you like a bit of LED bling), supports solar and last i hard they were working on Intelligent Octopus support.............. however i read a pretty scathing review from an installer who does a tear down on all chargepoints, with shonky build quality and less than robust software. it put me off, hence going with the very expensive toilet seat. (zappi)

After a test drive yesterday, the ID7 has been ordered this morning, price had been steadily dropping on our company car scheme, so decided it had hit a point that was too good to turn down. All options ticked apart from Towbar and HP, and it was still 1/3 of the price of a Model Y on the scheme.

The choices for EV family chariots are really good right now imo. Its been a tough decision to decide between the likes of the Ionic 5, I4, Enyaq, Merc EQB etc. I wanted to wait for the Tavascan but not sure when thats likely to be released, and the internal guidance is that we must order the replacement 6 months before the end of the current car.

Now comes the agonising wait for a shiney new thing, I have to wait till October :(

Last edited:
After a test drive yesterday, the ID7 has been ordered this morning, price had been steadily dropping on our company car scheme, so decided it had hit a point that was too good to turn down. All options ticked apart from Towbar and HP, and it was still 1/3 of the price of a Model Y on the scheme.

The choices for EV family chariots are really good right now imo. Its been a tough decision to decide between the likes of the Ionic 5, I4, Enyaq, Merc EQB etc. I wanted to wait for the Tavascan but not sure when thats likely to be released, and the internal guidance is that we must order the replacement 6 months before the end of the current car.

Now comes the agonising wait for a shiney new thing, I have to wait till October :(
Really been liking the look of these. The estate looks fantastic.

the hypervolt was another charge point i looked into, on the surface it seems great, it looks tidy (if you like a bit of LED bling), supports solar and last i hard they were working on Intelligent Octopus support.............. however i read a pretty scathing review from an installer who does a tear down on all chargepoints, with shonky build quality and less than robust software. it put me off, hence going with the very expensive toilet seat. (zappi)
I've had my HyperVolt since June 2021 and its worked okay for me.

I've had my HyperVolt since June 2021 and its worked okay for me.
Mine too in fairness but then I don’t really use the smart features and I have really good WiFi everywhere.

However both the charge point (white) and the holster for the plug have both been yellowed/faded by the sun - not great for a product which is meant to go outside….

I also say it’s the ginger stepchild because the V2 runs on a different platform to the V3’s they are now selling and they will not get feature updates for an undisclosed time after V3. V3 is getting Ovo anytime support in a couple of weeks, no date for V2. They are allegedly working on Octopus intelligent integration also, who knows when that will come to the V2 platform.

Polestar 2's are back down to really reasonable prices for leasing

4 months too late for me.

Not just them but all lease cars. My X5 45E has dropped over £392 per month in the last 4 months.

Last edited:
Ohme Go commando £465
Tesla mobile connector £180 plus Tesla commando pigtail £38.

It’s also discontinued and I’m pretty sure if you buy a new Ohme these days they only include smart features for 3 years. After that you have to pay and they don’t have WiFi so you have to pay use their data connection or it becomes a dumb charger.

Do I win?

Ohme, still haven't decided what they'll do re the 3G/4G connection after 3 years.

I messaged them the other day, that was their answer "we have not yet decided if there will be an extra payment required, or if indeed "we" Ohme will continue this free of charge".

I've still decided to go with Ohme because of tie up with both Octopus & Ovo, just for the energy deals for EV charges.

I've had my Ohme granny charger for 3 years now, it's my "device" on Intelligent Octopus Go (I didn't want either car registered), I do hope that the free connectivity remains, though I guess I could be convinced to pay a small data subscription charge, it's preferable to registering the cars with Octopus.

Back
Top Bottom