When are you going fully electric?

James May talking a lot of sense here, both positive and negative about EVs. He makes a very valid point in that the concern is not range anxiety but recharging anxiety.

Anyone with an Ev knows this is the reality. Hence why range anxiety doesn’t exist in ICE. You can refill very easily

James May talking a lot of sense here, both positive and negative about EVs. He makes a very valid point in that the concern is not range anxiety but recharging anxiety.

Absolutely. Hence why I try to stick to the decent charge providers, and check they're operational before I leave.

Better range gives you more flexibility to be selective where you plan to stop, and to find alternatives enroute.

If i look at the network 3-4 years and look at it today, its hugely better. I can make one work, and i do 20k miles a year (famous last words) If it wasnt for cost, I even have a ultra fast charger 5 min walk away that i could use if i didnt have a drive way.

EV needs to be seen as part of the solution, not the only solution. I fear the rightwing press has done the damage now, EV is seen as something for the hippies or the priviledged few.

He makes a very valid point in that the concern is not range anxiety but recharging anxiety.

So he's picked up what others have been saying for well over a year or two now, but because he is slightly famous people pay attention and pass it around social media etc. He also predicted hydrogen was the future, and owned a couple of hydrogen cars, but now where are they?

the whole charging debate or issues won’t go away until EV is ubiquitous.

The EV market and the charging networks are still emerging from their infancy really the way I see it. Even with Tesla network, they aren’t in any places I want to go for staycation so I will have to rely on destination charger or local charging networks.

So future problems with public charging network is saturations, standards and as more and more EVs are on the road potentially queuing.

I just dread for those people who have EVs with 100miles or less range and end up on motorways and need stopping at every charging station along the way.

A bit of consolidation in the charger network might help user experiences as well.

Last edited:
You’d be a fool to buy an EV with 100 miles range for use on regular long journeys. Why would you even do that?

Once a year? They probably don’t care if the other 99% of their milage costs basically nothing.

Your right about the first part though, the whole EV charging debate will still be going on in 2050.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of the repair side of EV ownership? Just saw EVMan on YouTube talking about this because he wanted to see if local garages would do repairs on out of warranty cars and most wouldn't (as yet). He would have a 60mile trip to get it repaired.

You’d be a fool to buy an EV with 100 miles range for use on regular long journeys. Why would you even do that?

Once a year? They probably don’t care if the other 99% of their milage costs basically nothing.

Your right about the first part though, the whole EV charging debate will still be going on in 2050.

We’ll be far too busy in our flying cars by 2050

Has anyone thought of the repair side of EV ownership? Just saw EVMan on YouTube talking about this because he wanted to see if local garages would do repairs on out of warranty cars and most wouldn't (as yet). He would have a 60mile trip to get it repaired.

I have a few friends in the garage repair business, and it’s only now that they have woken up to the EV repair game. Mind the basics are the same for EV and ICE in reality.

After a test drive yesterday, the ID7 has been ordered this morning, price had been steadily dropping on our company car scheme, so decided it had hit a point that was too good to turn down. All options ticked apart from Towbar and HP, and it was still 1/3 of the price of a Model Y on the scheme.

The choices for EV family chariots are really good right now imo. Its been a tough decision to decide between the likes of the Ionic 5, I4, Enyaq, Merc EQB etc. I wanted to wait for the Tavascan but not sure when thats likely to be released, and the internal guidance is that we must order the replacement 6 months before the end of the current car.

Now comes the agonising wait for a shiney new thing, I have to wait till October :(

Who did you order with? Tusker are quoting 16 weeks on these but not sure how accurate that is. I really like the look of this ID7, has a great spec and comparably cheap; an Enyaq sportline plus would be more expensive on our scheme and worse spec.

I have a few friends in the garage repair business, and it’s only now that they have woken up to the EV repair game. Mind the basics are the same for EV and ICE in reality.
True it's only the electrics after all(says someone who gets the garage to do the work). Once they start getting training they with be doing more and more EV work

It's almost as though Jame May has a background as a serious journalist :) I agree, really like him.
Well 16 years ago he referred to electric cars with the following.
"So far, most electric cars have been appalling little plastic snot boxes that take all night to recharge, and then take half a minute to reach their maximum speed of 40mph, and then run out of juice miles from anywhere”.

He also lorded his opinion that hydrogen would take over the automotive world, as the price of hydrogen was the same as petrol (in California)

How times have changed.

It's a shame that shell has pulled out of supplying hydrogen in california for fuelling stations.

Who did you order with? Tusker are quoting 16 weeks on these but not sure how accurate that is. I really like the look of this ID7, has a great spec and comparably cheap; an Enyaq sportline plus would be more expensive on our scheme and worse spec.

This is through Lex. I’m not sure on Leadtimes, I don’t need mine till October.

It's not surprising at all though, of the ~1 million EV's on the road, the vast majority of cars are still under full warranty and nearly all of them at still under their drive train warranty.

Matt Cleevely did a podcast with Quentin Wilson last week on the fully charged channel and even despite them being "the EV workshop" in the UK, they said they are only about 40% EV through their workshop. The rest of it is made up with ICE servicing/repair. It's probably quite hard to make money off EV specific repair because you do so few of them, it takes a lot of time (and therefore money) to learn and get the relevant experience to offer the service as an independent.

Well 16 years ago he referred to electric cars with the following.
"So far, most electric cars have been appalling little plastic snot boxes that take all night to recharge, and then take half a minute to reach their maximum speed of 40mph, and then run out of juice miles from anywhere”.

He also lorded his opinion that hydrogen would take over the automotive world, as the price of hydrogen was the same as petrol (in California)

How times have changed.

It's a shame that shell has pulled out of supplying hydrogen in california for fuelling stations.

16 years ago - so your choices were the Tesla Roadster or the G-Wiz, I'm guessing he was walking about the latter and in this case, his not wrong.

Why is it a shame Shell pulled out? They are not going to do it unless its profitable at scale which after a very long and well trodden trial, its pretty clear its not going to be a money spinner in the short to medium term and the long term prospects look fairly bleak as the wholesale cost of green hydrogen is not expected to fall as expected. The cost of renewable energy needed to create it is starting to rise rather than sticking to its falling trajectory.

You only have to look at the Tesla Semi to see what's in the art of the possible today with BEV, let alone 10 years from now.

Last edited:
is he really 60 miles from his nearest HEVRA garage? there are 2 that I know of near me (within 5 miles) and surely more I do not know about and I just live in a small town
I guess I have read so much utter nonsense in the media most of which is demonstrably BS that I don't really trust any influencers any more without confirmation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom