When are you going fully electric?

is he really 60 miles from his nearest HEVRA garage? there are 2 that I know of near me (within 5 miles) and surely more I do not know about and I just live in a small town
I guess I have read so much utter nonsense in the media most of which is demonstrably BS that I don't really trust any influencers any more without confirmation
No, there are a few near him but they would only do basic work on EVs such as servicing and MOTs. They would not do any repair work, for example if your PTC heater failed on your 9 year old Model S/Leaf/Zoe, they wouldn’t/couldn’t replace it.

His point was that the HEVRA logo is meaningless if all they do is service and MOT.

Last edited:
is he really 60 miles from his nearest HEVRA garage? there are 2 that I know of near me (within 5 miles) and surely more I do not know about and I just live in a small town
I guess I have read so much utter nonsense in the media most of which is demonstrably BS that I don't really trust any influencers any more without confirmation
He was saying that he likes to support local , he's from Yorkshire and freely admits to not wanting to pay main dealer prices when a car is out of warranty. I think he's is stating its the same as when EVs started on the scene there were no charging facilities, same for garages. You will need more garages now to cater for the cars that will becoming out of warranty in the near future.

Last edited:
It's not surprising at all though, of the ~1 million EV's on the road, the vast majority of cars are still under full warranty and nearly all of them at still under their drive train warranty.

Matt Cleevely did a podcast with Quentin Wilson last week on the fully charged channel and even despite them being "the EV workshop" in the UK, they said they are only about 40% EV through their workshop. The rest of it is made up with ICE servicing/repair. It's probably quite hard to make money off EV specific repair because you do so few of them, it takes a lot of time (and therefore money) to learn and get the relevant experience to offer the service as an independent.

16 years ago - so your choices were the Tesla Roadster or the G-Wiz, I'm guessing he was walking about the latter and in this case, his not wrong.

Why is it a shame Shell pulled out? They are not going to do it unless its profitable at scale which after a very long and well trodden trial, its pretty clear its not going to be a money spinner in the short to medium term and the long term prospects look fairly bleak as the wholesale cost of green hydrogen is not expected to fall as expected. The cost of renewable energy needed to create it is starting to rise rather than sticking to its falling trajectory.

You only have to look at the Tesla Semi to see what's in the art of the possible today with BEV, let alone 10 years from now.
Sorry, my it's a shame comment was sarcasm as I tire of the hydrogen is just around the corner wishful thinkers, as it seems to be going backwards for cars.

Well 16 years ago he referred to electric cars with the following.
"So far, most electric cars have been appalling little plastic snot boxes that take all night to recharge, and then take half a minute to reach their maximum speed of 40mph, and then run out of juice miles from anywhere”.

He also lorded his opinion that hydrogen would take over the automotive world, as the price of hydrogen was the same as petrol (in California)

How times have changed.

It's a shame that shell has pulled out of supplying hydrogen in california for fuelling stations.
It’s not really a shame though. Hydrogen isn’t viable for small transport (ie personal cars) and so the market is disappearing.

EDIT: just saw above the hydrogen comment was sarcasm :p

Last edited:
No, there are a few near him but they would only do basic work on EVs such as servicing and MOTs. They would not do any repair work, for example if your PTC heater failed on your 9 year old Model S/Leaf/Zoe, they wouldn’t/couldn’t replace it.

His point was that the HEVRA logo is meaningless if all they do is service and MOT.
fair enough. I haven't put it to the test however before buying my ipace I phoned my local HEVRA garage and asked them if they would do comprehensive work on the car. they said they had worked on plenty of Ipaces and there was nothing they would not do .

admittedly they were not so confident on my i3 REX. they said they had not worked on many of them but they thought it would be fine , which is less reassuring.
I guess at some point I will have to put them to the test and find out.

fair enough. I haven't put it to the test however before buying my ipace I phoned my local HEVRA garage and asked them if they would do comprehensive work on the car. they said they had worked on plenty of Ipaces and there was nothing they would not do .

admittedly they were not so confident on my i3 REX. they said they had not worked on many of them but they thought it would be fine , which is less reassuring.
I guess at some point I will have to put them to the test and find out.
After hearing that my reassurance would be the other way around :p

After hearing that my reassurance would be the other way around :p
true.... it did cross my mind to ask how they had managed to work on more ipaces than i3s given surely there were more i3s on the road than ipaces..... however i had my ipace by that point and decided i didnt want to know. (in truth it is the i3 they will likely see anyway, i extended the warranty on the ipace, but havent on the i3.

edit.... now i think about it, i have a feeling when i originally phoned 12 months ago doing the ground work before buying an EV (something i think everyone should probably do before buying an EV, esp if it is one they will be responsible for maintaining) , i think they said one of their mechanics used to work for jaguar on the ipace, which would explain it.

Last edited:
It's well known that JLR products are massively more reliable than BMW ones also :p
My thinking with the ipace was, i get the design cues of Ian Callum which i like - I like the looks of all the modern jags however for me, other than the F Type the ipace is my favourite, - combined with the reliability over an ICE car (especially over a performance ICE car) which an EV brings, with the build quality of Magna Steyr who build cars for Mercedes, BMW, Toyota as well as Jaguar and others.

also as well, it is also well known that (particularly the REX which i have) the i3 does have some reliability issues as well - though i believe we bought the most reliable of the REX models with some of the initial problems fixed.

Last edited:
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not against the iPace at all, infact we're on the lookout for the right one for the wife.
get a MY21 or newer which had some upgrades as well as the problematic 2nd 12v battery was gotten rid off. you can get HSE trim ones with sensible miles for the £26k mark last time i looked (and that was 2 or 3 months ago could be less now).

imo its a hell of a lot of car for the money, and even after 9 months in mine i still love driving it.... It was way ahead of its time when it came out, with only the model S to rival it.................. New car wise....it is due a major refresh now imo, rather than minor face lifts. Damn shame they are just killing it off instead however, but for the 2nd hand market its almost a no brainer if you want that class of car....

Last edited:
Well done. I had to slap my wifes father the other day for wanting a £1k charger for similar mileage. I charge an e2008 on a granny charger perfectly fine. I use the car daily x2 (nursery) and it is basically my van on the weekend. The range isn't an issue, just get into the habit of plugging in when you pull up and you'll never think about it again.
Bumblebee EV Charging will be fitting an 'EVEC' 7.4 kW socketed single phase charger with a type 2 connection, retail £929, through Arnold Clark £499....untethered. So not getting the car today as no-one at Arnold Clark(that I spoke to) knows where it is!! My salesman is on a training course so I can't talk to him. You couldn't make it up!

Sold at an affordable price, it’s a compact, modern unit that doesn’t compromise on quality with sturdy construction and a manufacturer-backed 3-year warranty, and a helpful technical support team.
Features
7.4kW Smart EV Charger, Tethered with 5m Type 2 Charging Cable (EV01) or Socketed (EV03).
Charger Security
Secure your charger with remote locking and unlocking through the EVEC App, giving you full control over your charger.
Energy Management
Schedule charging times to match the best energy rates available to you.
Compatibility
2G/3G/4G Connectivity for Use with App & Free Software Updates, Type 2 Socket to Type 1 & Type 2 Inlet Port

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the 'run away' I-Pace last week, it seems the driver has now been arrested:

Original story:

Geoff Buys Cars had a 45min 'interview' with the driver shortly after the incident:

It will be interesting to see if he is eventually charged.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 'run away' I-Pace last week, it seems the driver has now been arrested:

Original story:

Geoff Buys Cars had a 45min 'interview' with the driver shortly after the incident:

It will be interesting to see if he is eventually charged.
Similar thing happened near Glasgow a few weeks ago and the driver wasn't charged, its obviously a fault.

Back
Top Bottom