When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I saw an old Porsche 911 with an electric conversion. Did wonder how it drives. It's not like keen do-it-yourself mechanics have access to the level of R&D as the likes of Tesla

It's usually parts from a scrapped tesla. So tesla performance without the heavy weight to lug around.

Someone did it with an old Ferrari 308, it only gained something like 9kg and had almost the same range as it did with the v8. So actually, better than a Tesla :D

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's usually parts from a scrapped tesla. So tesla performance without the heavy weight to lug around.

Someone did it with an old Ferrari 308, it only gained something like 9kg and had almost the same range as it did with the v8. So actually, better than a Tesla :D
https://www.influx.co.uk/cars/electric-911/

This looks very cool, even has the original manual shifter/box in play. There will surely be a big market in retro EV conversions in years to come. That thing must be a hoot, and actually really usable compared with everything that goes with an ancient ICE.

Soldato
his looks very cool, even has the original manual shifter/box in play. There will surely be a big market in retro EV conversions in years to come. That thing must be a hoot, and actually really usable compared with everything that goes with an ancient ICE.

Yep, massive demand in the future. The best part is it gets rids of the worst offenders of it being ICE, the fuel and linked pollution, and the god awful noise pollution.

How am I misrepresenting? Flow rate in a petrol pump is circa 50 litres a minute. Some faster, some slower. 90 seconds is about a fair approximation of the fill time of my car - I've no idea what fraction of cars have a 700 mile range, but mine does. They to tend pump faster on the Continent, too, plus you can clip so the pump so the pumping time is often used for other things like bug cleaning off the screen (Something else we weirdly don't seem to offer at petrol stations here).

I appreciate my usage is perhaps not typical - my use of a car is heavily weighted towards large distance road trips - its how we like to holiday - but the only usage of a car I'm interested in when it comes to making future purchase/rental decisions is my own, for obvious reasons :D

If every time you fill up its literally en route, you dont have to go and pay, there is always a free pump there, and you drive in att full speed and screeth to a halt, and likewise leaving (Ie F1 style) then I guess you could tick 90 seconds
Personally I have never been able to tick all those boxes, some but not all so for me its always taken more like 5-10 mins than 90 seconds

Man of Honour
Meanwhile with an EV someone drives alongside you and charges you on the go and there is absolutely no need to find a spare charging point at the services presumably?

Caporegime
Meanwhile with an EV someone drives alongside you and charges you on the go and there is absolutely no need to find a spare charging point at the services presumably?

You've just found a gap in the market, rolling charger vehicles, your fortune awaits! :D

Whats with the derp, very unlike you

The time to refil is the total time its taken, which includes all the aspects of that if its on a journey

And for an EV its the same, and potentially its far far worse you could arrive and instead of a 5 minute wait to get a spot (at the pump) you may wait 30 minutes for someone to finish their loo and coffee break and depart.

Its the equivalent of saying the time to charge an Ev is 30 seconds, 2x 15 seconds to plug in and unplug, clearly daft mid journey, but reasonable if its recharging at home

Its situation dependent, its rare I find to pull in with no delay at all, slip road type affairs, often wait to get a pump, I always have to go in and pay as have a fuel card, cant always easily get straight out onto road, or its a larger services it often takes 1-2 minutes just to get to the fuel point once you leave the main road

Caporegime
Battery can easily be distributed across the whole vehicle, they do generate heat agreed but its easier to cool them whilst being spread out than a great big lump in one place
You said the issue goes away, i can promise you it does not and superfast charging relies on keeping batteries cool.

Ive not seen any OEM spread a battery out either. They are low down under the car to avoid handling problems of 200kg of battery being stuck in the gaps in the bumper, headlining and door bins like you seem to suggest?

Soldato
I've got one of the largest fuel tanks, how is it taking people a lot longer to pump fuel?
You are not factoring in driving to the patrol station and back on route. Its not always as simple as just 90 seconds pumping. Take my situation I work across 4 sites and there are zero fuel stations directly between home and any of the sites. So in an ICE I have to factor in driving a short way off my route, possibly queueing up before starting to pump, possibly queuing up to pay if its not pay at the pump and then driving back onto route. Although it’s not common some pumps are very slow and/or cut out so you have to start a few times. What can sometimes be 90 seconds can easily turn into 5 or 10 mins or longer. There are also traffic lights before getting to my local patrol station which again can delay the fueling time.

Now compare that to an EV for work. I would pull off the driveway do my trip, go home. Never wasting time going to a fuel station. Never running into empty pumps, never any queues to pay, never driving off route. Never hitting the extra traffic lights on red. It’s just way more convenient and saves time.

For longer trips when it goes right an EV is still more convenient. Most of the time plugging in an EV takes the same amount of time as putting a pump in an ICE. The difference being with an EV you don’t have to stand next to it while it fueling up. Let’s say we both do the same 200mile trip and stop off at the same rest point. I would pull off my driveway at 100%. You have to go to the patrol station at some point either before the trip starts or at the rest point. The EV skips the first step, parks in the same carpark you end up in, then we go for coffee/toilet break/shops. 30mins later we both leave.

Now I am picking when it goes correct and there are a lot of variables that impact both the ICE and EV and I admit for longer trips or long trips without stops an EV is worse. It all depends what you doing and where you are going. The longest trip I do is go to the next city along to visit family and for that an EV wins out. If I was going from somewhere South to Scotland then its an ICE all the way.

"other things like bug cleaning off the screen (Something else we weirdly don't seem to offer at petrol stations here)."
That's because we have had something like a 90% loss of bugs. Most drivers have forgotten or never realized how it used to be as little as 30 or 40 years ago. In the 80's and 90's we couldn't drive anything but a short distance without using our wipers to get bugs off. Using wipers was pretty much something you did every single trip out. Now you can go weeks or months without wiping bugs off. If most modern drivers could somehow travel back in time and drove around the roads I think they would be shocked at the difference related to bug splatters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Battery can easily be distributed across the whole vehicle, they do generate heat agreed but its easier to cool them whilst being spread out than a great big lump in one place

Not that easily, you can't put them in crumple zones etc or you'll have a nice explosion in a crash. They will need to be water cooled as well if you want super fast charging.

Lotus has the best idea of stacking it all the middle of the car. To preserve the mid-engine style handling.

You said the issue goes away, i can promise you it does not and superfast charging relies on keeping batteries cool.

Ive not seen any OEM spread a battery out either. They are low down under the car to avoid handling problems of 200kg of battery being stuck in the gaps in the bumper, headlining and door bins like you seem to suggest?

Maybe I was too simple in my description of spread out, but clearly its possible to do longer thinner etc with battery packs like they have now if they wanted to
Could you spread an ICE engine around if you wanted to?
Its an OPTION, if tech moves again and heat is less an issue than now then it changes things, eg space under seats could be an option, wasted in most cars
I totally agree its likely to be low down to improve stability and its an obvious place since you still have sets etc to mount up.

Caporegime
And how do you connect the batteries? HV wires which add mass and are pretty dangerous so you want to minimise interface with them. Plus the batteries need cooling so you have more pipes, more fluid etc.

Your phone gets warm with 5W, the heat from 150kW goes somewhere hence the move from indirect (water) to direct (oil) cooling being needed.

No one is building battery packs that are modular as its pointless and very few are aircooled.

Soldato
For me the difference is worlds apart as neither of those cars would be on my wish list to be honest as i prefer a larger/more luxurious car as a preference. My next car i think i am going to go for a (used!) Porsche Cayenne, but as a Saloon would be an S-Class Merc or 7-Series BMW.

Which EV can i even get which is remotely comparable to those? Really the only usable ones with a decent range are the Model X or Model S. Those things are seriously expensive and seriously struggle to stack up financially. I did run the maths for a Model S (used) vs a similar aged S-Class Merc, and BMW 7-Series, but again due to the high price of the car, the savings take many thousands of miles per year in duty savings to equalise. The maths does work at a high projected mileage, but right now it doesn't at all, and that is inclusive of the generous tax breaks.

Then add in that lets be honest, the Teslas are no where near as nice as the Porsche, BMW, or Merc. You are paying for the drive-train with the Tesla.

Whats your view on the I-PACE or Etron Sportback?

And how do you connect the batteries? HV wires which add mass and are pretty dangerous so you want to minimise interface with them. Plus the batteries need cooling so you have more pipes, more fluid etc.

Your phone gets warm with 5W, the heat from 150kW goes somewhere hence the move from indirect (water) to direct (oil) cooling being needed.

No one is building battery packs that are modular as its pointless and very few are aircooled.

The battery packs I have seen actually connect to each other, battery to battery, with specific connectors between the packs, in theory a long line of cells would have no more wiring than a dense single pack
All the wiring inside a pack, with connectors to join pack to pack, exactly as they are now

Yep and by product 150kw of heat does indeed need to go somewhere, just as it does now. But things ith larger surface areas are easier to cool than thigs with smaller surface areas. Its why you can use the case of a laptop to actually cool it since you make the large inefficent surface area able to distribute the same amounts a much smaller efficient heat sink. They could for example start using the chassis to help distribute the heat. Where are these crazy amounts of heat being generated now going?

Soldato
I'm hoping more people have your attitude, as it keeps the BEV low/zero tax rate for early adopters locked in for longer, and since you'll only change for convenience that means you'll suck up any increases in taxation be that fuel duty or VED. Happy days :D

There's definitely a financial advantage right now for "early adopters" despite the inflated purchase price over a comparable ICE car.

So both myself and my other half can charge at work. My commute is 2 miles each way - hence I usually cycle - and my partner's is 12 miles each way, though she uses our second car sometimes. Both are free so if anything I'd rather not charge at home (though we're with Octopus Agile and sometimes this is very cheap or we actually get paid to charge). I have a charger installed at home and you can see my setup at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sharing-my-no-driveway-on-street-parking-setup.189161.

I can't always get parked right outside, but I can usually move it to right outside at some point before I need to charge it. My neighbours are all very kind and if one of them is in the space then they used to message and ask if I wanted to swap, or they wouldn't mind if I asked to.

Cheers for the link, I looked at the images, there's no way on my particular street (unless I'm exceptionally lucky) that I would be able to park so close to the house so consistently due to so many neighbours cars etc but if that should change in the future then I can see thats an option. Do you have any issues with people messing with the cable or connectors at all?

Otherwise public chargers, namely Tesla Superchargers. If I absolutely had to then I live 5 miles from one which is on the M5 junction and would be my exit route to go north or south anyway. So far every where I've travelled to I've been able to charge for free: I'm off camping this weekend and despite the camp site having no mains electricity with showers heated by solar, the owner is letting me use a 3-pin plug at the farm house to charge overnight. Plenty of car parks and other destinations like hotels have free charging too; I drove to Cardiff and back for free, and if I really wanted I could drive to Cabot Circus in Bristol and charge up for free whilst watching a film or shopping or something.

Again, the early adopters are getting some really good benefits right now, but with the rapid increase in EV's on the road due over the next few years those benefits will change rapidly and all this currently "free" (it's not, someone else is just paying for it right now) charging and subsidies that you're enjoying right now will dry up very quickly, with an increase in ownership costs to their realistic levels once millions of EV's are on the road, so thats what I'm factoring in - what will an EV's actually running cost be when you are the one fully paying for everything (no subsides, increased electric price, full road/fuel tax etc) vs an ICE car whose actual running cost are well known.

I think that, for me at least, PHEV is probably the best compromise and maybe it's also that for most people, giving the benefits from a mix of EV with Fast Charge and, for times when you can't get to a charger, an ICE engine to charge your batteries. I think thats probably best as a stop-gap solution until the countries whole Power infrastructure is upgraded over time to cope with the 35+ Million EV's expected by 2050.

Soldato
Lets face it most car design is still limited by having to put a relatively fixed shaped item in the car package. An item thats not easy to place since its very heavy, and generates lots of heat and noise. That pretty much goes away with EV, it allows the same footprint to be changed with less restriction. You could easily fit 3 rows in the same footprint of a 5 series. Cars may end up with seating more like a taxi configuration, one seat up front, luggage by the side, 4 seats behind in a far more open configuration
and this whole area being the total footprint of the vehicle, no boot, no engine compartment.

Honestly it doesn't change drastically - if anything the wheelbases getting longer starts to be a struggle some breakover ground clearance issues and turning circles increase - good for primary ride though.

Small offset barrier will happily push the wheel into your foot zone, so extra mass means you have to deal with more energy: either have to absorb or deflect the car, therefore you don't get have entitlement to make the significantly shorter.
Cooling systems are dealing with a fluid that at a much lower temperature delta to ambient - anywhere on earth will cool an engine, a lot of markets now need the battery cooler than the ambient air so don't get caught up in EVs dont need radiators myths.
Front motor layouts firstly crash with more energy from the higher vehicle mass, the motor doesn't hit the wall like an engine and instantly take 200-300 kg out of the crash event and the electric motor has less entitlement to travel rearwards into the car as the batteries are there, currently inline engine layout allow a degree of dash intrusion as its only really a plastic heater unit there - again no reason to see wheels move huge amounts and the crash structure to get any shorter.
Most immediate benefit is the bonnet and nose can be lower and meet same pedestrian requirements.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then add in that lets be honest, the Teslas are no where near as nice as the Porsche, BMW, or Merc. You are paying for the drive-train with the Tesla.

This is why my Model 3 Performance is going up for sale tomorrow. It's clearly a £35k battery with a £20k car bolted to it. The build quality is dreadful.

Back
Top Bottom