• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
I remember a 1080 was the top card about 5/6 years ago, £400-£500 (can't remember exactly). Bought 1 in a top spec pc for about £1500. A top spec pc now is £4k+. More than doubled in price in 5 or 6 years. I'll be priced out eventually if this keeps happening. On topic, i don't think latest gen gpu prices will go down as people (me included) keep buying. I hope and think they might stagnate i.e. when covid/inflation/world economy/people just reach the end of their tether with prices (i'm not far off).

Associate
I remember a 1080 was the top card about 5/6 years ago, £400-£500 (can't remember exactly). Bought 1 in a top spec pc for about £1500. A top spec pc now is £4k+. More than doubled in price in 5 or 6 years. I'll be priced out eventually if this keeps happening. On topic, i don't think latest gen gpu prices will go down as people (me included) keep buying. I hope and think they might stagnate i.e. when covid/inflation/world economy/people just reach the end of their tether with prices (i'm not far off).

the 1080 was 600+ initially, that was the MSRP. I had one on pre-order, paid £635 for it. The stock was very low, the queues were huge, there was no way to avoid that kind of price

Soldato
Regarding the topic of gpu prices coming down well doesn't look that way when the top end consoles we have now are getting the latest AAA games at 30fps locked.

bislksp.jpg

5 days before release they announce the 30fps lock ....^ Now you know why you don't pre-order anything without knowing what you are paying for.

Maybe they should have used Nvidia Gpus to get DLSS 3 frame generation to get up to 60fps fake frames and even worst quality. :cry: @Nexus18 :p

Then all that said a ps5 pro and a pro X series is not needed :cry:.... Proving the industry will always find a reason for faster hardware and more ways to charge you more for it, so all complaining about gpu prices as I am, welcome to the new world and how low this industry has sank.:rolleyes:

Again will say it again vote with your wallets so they get the reality of what customers think. Keep paying for subpar you will keep getting even more subpar goods as a thank you.

Trending on twitter 30 FPS.. https://twitter.com/search?q=30fps&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the topic of gpu prices coming down well doesn't look that way when the top end consoles we have now are getting the latest AAA games at 30fps locked.

bislksp.jpg

5 days before release they announce the 30fps lock ....^ Now you know why you don't pre-order anything without knowing what you are paying for.

Maybe they should have used Nvidia Gpus to get DLSS 3 frame generation to get up to 60fps fake frames and even worst quality. :cry: @Nexus18 :p

Then all that said a ps5 pro and a pro X series is not needed :cry:.... Proving the industry will always find a reason for faster hardware and more ways to charge you more for it, so all complaining about gpu prices as I am, welcome to the new world and how low this industry has sank.:rolleyes:

Again will say it again vote with your wallets so they get the reality of what customers think. Keep paying for subpar you will keep getting even more subpar goods as a thank you.

Trending on twitter 30 FPS.. https://twitter.com/search?q=30fps&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

we always knew consoles were in the latter years of their lifespan going to settle back to 30fps. Its just obviously an eventuality of the tech inside them.

Caporegime
But but but..... consoles are suppose to be the king for value and offer an experience just as good as PC for 60@4k :cry:

I said this a while ago, the writing was on the wall once we started to see this happen on the consoles:

- adaptive resolution where most of the time the res. is 1300 (PS 5) and 1600/1800P (xbox)
- graphical settings on the whole being reduced, iirc, mostly a mix of high/medium
- RT settings being limited heavily or/and disabled 100%

But remember according to some, a ps 5/xbox is still better for 4k gaming than a 3080 10gb because they have 16GB of vram (even though it is shared memory...)..... :cry: :D

@Purgatory maybe consoles will chin of amd and go nvidia next round for that fg tech ;) :p :D

Didn't certain individuals keep banging on about consoles using FSR too? What happened there? Or is it much like the pc gaming scene where we are still waiting on developers to even include fsr 2, let alone 2.1? :p

EDIT:

As for gotham knights and 30 fps lock, I'm not surprised if the console versions are implementing ray tracing reflections too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering we're talking about a 30fps difference between your "PC for 60@4k" and a console that cost $200 less than a 3080, and that's before we include all the other components in the PC, I'm not sure your extra 30fps offers good value for money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Considering we're talking about a 30fps difference between your "PC for 60@4k" and a console that cost $200 less than a 3080, and that's before we include all the other components in the PC, I'm not sure your extra 30fps offers good value for money.

Subjective that isn't it?

I had a ps 4 pro, loved the games but couldn't stick 30 fps, it was so bad that my eyes felt strained even after 30 minutes (could literally see they were bloodshot at times) so in my case, to go from 30-60 fps is worth the extra money but I value fps higher than 60 now, which is why I play more often on my 175HZ 3440x1440 display.

Essentially 4k isn't the be all imo.

EDIT:

Also my post was somewhat tongue in cheek too as we have had a certain individual(s) state that a console would be better than a 3080 if you want a 4k gaming experience because of the 16gb unified memory acting as vram :cry: :o

Last edited:
Soldato
But but but..... consoles are suppose to be the king for value and offer an experience just as good as PC for 60@4k :cry:

I said this a while ago, the writing was on the wall once we started to see this happen on the consoles:

- adaptive resolution where most of the time the res. is 1300 (PS 5) and 1600/1800P (xbox)
- graphical settings on the whole being reduced, iirc, mostly a mix of high/medium

But remember according to some, a ps 5/xbox is still better for 4k gaming than a 3080 10gb because they have 16GB of vram (even though it is shared memory...)..... :cry: :D

@Purgatory maybe consoles will chin of amd and go nvidia next round for that fg tech ;) :p :D

Didn't certain individuals keep banging on about consoles using FSR too? What happened there? Or is it much like the pc gaming scene where we are still waiting on developers to even include fsr 2, let alone 2.1? :p

EDIT:

As for gotham knights and 30 fps lock, I'm not surprised if the console versions are implementing ray tracing reflections too.

I don't think console players mind.. probably laughing at us mugs paying 2 grand for a gpu.

Soldato
Subjective that isn't it?
No, it's not subjective. You used the 3080 and PC for 60@4k as a reference, that particular console game is 30@4k and we know the costs involved so it's entirely object.

The console is costing $16.50 per frame and while the GPU alone has a lower cost per frame ($11.50) you also need to include, like i said, the costs of the other components so unless you can build a PC minus the GPU for less than $500 the console is better value for money.
I had a ps 4 pro, loved the games but couldn't stick 30 fps, it was so bad that my eyes felt strained even after 30 minutes...
^^That^^ is what would be considered subjective.

Soldato

The biggest problem with this generation of consoles was they tricked people to go update their tvs to 4k 120hz and hdmi 2.1, then gave out a few 120 fps games and now going down to 30fps for AAA games. It's a bit of a scam really, I still have a ps4 pro and got a ps5 on release but the thing bricked itself and returned it for a refund (none to replace it with so they refunded) because honestly then I didn't even see a huge difference from ps4 pro to it and in one sense I was relieved because the unit was ugly and huge to the point it stuck out like a sore thumb, I'm waiting for a ps5 pro that's not this design that can't even sit under your tv correctly and on a silly balancing act stand.

I will be getting a ps5 pro as I own a huge library of ps4 games on disk and on their digital store and don't want to loose them, but the ps5 is not powerful enough in the state it is in, also my ps4 pro is all ssd and loads just as fast when i compared ps4 games on the ps5 and didn't look any better on a very expensive 75" Sony tv that makes UHD movies with HDR look amazing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, it's not subjective. You used the 3080 and PC for 60@4k as a reference, that particular console game is 30@4k and we know the costs involved so it's entirely object.

The console is costing $16.50 per frame and while the GPU alone has a lower cost per frame ($11.50) you also need to include, like i said, the costs of the other components so unless you can build a PC minus the GPU for less than $500 the console is better value for money.

^^That^^ is what would be considered subjective.

What one values more over other things is subjective.....

You are talking about going from 30-60 fps here, not 100-130 fps, hence why every console gamer couldn't go back to 30 fps after experiencing 60 fps, just check every forum, reviews to see this sentiment.

Soldato

EDIT:

They are the king of value.

A PS5 is £550. A 4K/60 gaming PC is £2k. The quote I have for my RTX 4090 rig is £4.5k. Its a sad reality that PC gaming is just god damn expensive and poor value. The best value device (if you have a steam library) IMO is a Steam Deck.

PCs are no longer 'kings of value'. They just the kings of ultra high fidelity performance and customisation and offer experiences consoles can't.
I do 4K 3D gaming, triple monitor full fidelity flight sim and sim-racing, ultra wide aspect ratios via custom resolutions and hopefully soon, high fidelity VR.
Console's don't offer that and the experience is unlike anything a console gamer will experience. Other users have high refresh rate gaming on high fidelity graphic settings - agains something console gamers won't realise. Is that worth the price premium? Who knows.. But consoles definitely hold more value than PC IMO. For £550 you get full access to high fidelity titles and exclusive games. £550 gets me my motherboard and half a case. can't play many games with that :D

I think the only console gamers who argued they'd be able to hold and keep 4K/60 were the mindless idiots who don't understand technology. Probably the same idiots who years ago used to argue their console was more powerful than a PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
The biggest problem with this generation of consoles was they tricked people to go update their tvs to 4k 120hz and hdmi 2.1, then gave out a few 120 fps games and now going down to 30fps for AAA games. It's a bit of a scam really, I still have a ps4 pro and got a ps5 on release but the thing bricked itself and returned it for a refund (none to replace it with so they refunded) because honestly then I didn't even see a huge difference from ps4 pro to it and in one sense I was relieved because the unit was ugly and huge to the point it stuck out like a sore thumb, I'm waiting for a ps5 pro that's not this design that can't even sit under your tv correctly and on a silly balancing act stand.

I will be getting a ps5 pro as I own a huge library of ps4 games on disk and on their digital store and don't want to loose them, but the ps5 is not powerful enough in the state it is in, also my ps4 pro is all ssd and loads just as fast when i compared ps4 games on the ps5 and didn't look any better on a very expensive 75" Sony tv that makes UHD movies with HDR look amazing.

Yup. The 4K/120 thing was just ridiculous.

One area consoles have been phenomenal is HDR implementation though. HDR on windows was so fiddly in the early days, and the lack of a clear HDR calibration curve on windows (realising on in game optimisation if they have it) is just a bit .. meh.. most of the time I prefer SDR as at least I know its colour accurate.

Associate
What one values more over other things is subjective.....

You are talking about going from 30-60 fps here, not 100-130 fps, hence why every console gamer couldn't go back to 30 fps after experiencing 60 fps, just check every forum, reviews to see this sentiment.

actually I am one of those obviously very rare people that cant really tell the difference. Not so much that it bothers me anyway.

I have during the last couple of years "discovered" console gaming and have to say I have really enjoyed it.

Just cant find the enthusiasm now to spend the now ridiculous levels of money needed for a new build even though I probably need one. Have realised (with shock) I do most of my gaming now on console rather than PC - which I tend to use for the smaller indie games that dont need the likes of a 3080 to run anyway.

Back
Top Bottom