• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
The biggest problem with this generation of consoles was ... It's a bit of a scam really...
Yea and I'm not saying they weren't, people fell for the marketing, that's what marketing is designed to do. :)
What one values more over other things is subjective.....

You are talking about going from 30-60 fps here, not 100-130 fps, hence why every console gamer couldn't go back to 30 fps after experiencing 60 fps, just check every forum, reviews to see this sentiment.
I know, i pointed that out to you. You value the extra 30fps more than the money because you felt eye strain, other people clearly don't, in fact I'd say you're in a very small minority as not only do consoles outsell PCs but there's also billions of TVs around the world with their 24fps (or whatever).

The going from 30-60 fps here, not 100-130 fps claim is entirely irrelevant to what we were discussing, we're not discussing how good or bad the experience is at X fps, we're discussing the relative value of consoles and PCs, specifically your 3080 and PC for 60@4k vs a console for 30@4k.
PCs are no longer 'kings of value'. They just the kings of ultra high fidelity performance and customisation and offer experiences consoles can't.
Exactly and that (IMO) is rather depressing as it puts PC gaming out of reach of most people, there used to be a desire to see gaming capable PCs for $500 but that just seem to be a pipe-dream now, i don't want PC gaming to become a niche.

If having to compete with consoles and mobile isn't bad enough we're now facing ridiculous prices, as Nvidia's CEO said he thinks the average selling price of a GPU should be equivalent to a console, by the time we add all the other components that puts a gaming PC way out of reach for most people.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
No, it's not subjective. You used the 3080 and PC for 60@4k as a reference..

Can choke on vram and has to turn down a setting or two also.. ;)

Yea and I'm not saying they weren't, people fell for the marketing, that's what marketing is designed to do. :)

I know, i pointed that out to you. You value the extra 30fps more than the money because you felt eye strain, other people clearly don't

Best of luck discussing with that dude Murphy! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
They are the king of value.

A PS5 is £550. A 4K/60 gaming PC is £2k. The quote I have for my RTX 4090 rig is £4.5k. Its a sad reality that PC gaming is just god damn expensive and poor value. The best value device (if you have a steam library) IMO is a Steam Deck.

PCs are no longer 'kings of value'. They just the kings of ultra high fidelity performance and customisation and offer experiences consoles can't.
I do 4K 3D gaming, triple monitor full fidelity flight sim and sim-racing, ultra wide aspect ratios via custom resolutions and hopefully soon, high fidelity VR.
Console's don't offer that and the experience is unlike anything a console gamer will experience. Other users have high refresh rate gaming on high fidelity graphic settings - agains something console gamers won't realise. Is that worth the price premium? Who knows.. But consoles definitely hold more value than PC IMO.

I think the only console gamers who argued they'd be able to hold and keep 4K/60 were the mindless idiots who don't understand technology. Probably the same idiots who years ago used to argue their console was more powerful than a PC.

No doubt if all you want to do is game then they are king of value, well except maybe when you add up the cost of games.....

This had me curious as to just how much my PC has cost me so far over the past 4 years.

I'm running a MSI b450, 5600x, 32gb ram, 3080, evga platinum 850w psu, fractal meshify c, 2TB NVME (bare bones of what you need) and looking at what I paid, it comes to just over £1k. It provides a far better experience of 60@4k than consoles currently do, obviously it is still £500/600+ more than a current gen console but for my needs/wants, it's worth the extra cost especially when you factor in the price difference of games.

If you want to factor in other things/extras like k+m, speakers, sound card, extra drives then that will add a further £400-500 but these are more luxury/nice to haves.

Do agree though, the pricing of current components if buying new are crazy but you can build a perfectly capable 4k60 gaming pc if you don't have to buy the latest and greatest.

actually I am one of those obviously very rare people that cant really tell the difference. Not so much that it bothers me anyway.

I have during the last couple of years "discovered" console gaming and have to say I have really enjoyed it.

Just cant find the enthusiasm now to spend the now ridiculous levels of money needed for a new build even though I probably need one. Have realised (with shock) I do most of my gaming now on console rather than PC - which I tend to use for the smaller indie games that dont need the likes of a 3080 to run anyway.

Only thing that keeps me on pc atm is ray tracing (made possible because of the hardware and most importantly dlss), 21.9, high refresh rate gaming and preferring m+k for some games. Only one console game where 30 fps was somewhat good was spiderman but that was largely down to how well they incorporated motion blur.

I know, i pointed that out to you. You value the extra 30fps more than the money because you felt eye strain, other people clearly don't, in fact I'd say you're in a very small minority as not only do consoles outsell PCs but there's also billions of TVs around the world with their 24fps (or whatever).

The going from 30-60 fps here, not 100-130 fps claim is entirely irrelevant to what we were discussing, we're not discussing how good or bad the experience is at X fps, we're discussing the relative value of consoles and PCs, specifically your 3080 and PC for 60@4k vs a console for 30@4k.

Again that is why I said go and look at forums (the console sub forum here being the best to see the enjoyment people got from going to 60), reviews to see the hate that 30 fps gets now that console gamers have got to witness/experience 60 fps, you could even say that is why there has been such a big backlash over gotham knights as it's back to 30 fps with no option for 60fps... had this been them going from 120 fps to 60, the backlash wouldn't have been the same.

The comparison of going from 30-60 and 100-130 is completely relevant here as you get to a point of diminishing returns when you get higher in fps range, 30 to 60 is the biggest leap in terms of a noticeable improvement and more valuable than going from 100 to 130 is, hence why people value the 0.1/1% lows more than the average/max fps when on pc gaming....

Caporegime

Best of luck discussing with that dude Murphy! :p

This guy being the one to claim consoles would offer a better 4k experience than a 3080 as a 3080 is only good for 1080p because of the 10gb vram......

IPv3FHX.gif

Few understand though @TNA

:cry: :o

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
No doubt if all you want to do is game then they are king of value, well except maybe when you add up the cost of games.....

This had me curious as to just how much my PC has cost me so far over the past 4 years.

I'm running a MSI b450, 5600x, 32gb ram, 3080, evga platinum 850w psu, fractal meshify c, 2TB NVME (bare bones of what you need) and looking at what I paid, it comes to just over £1k. It provides a far better experience of 60@4k than consoles currently do, obviously it is still £500/600+ more than a current gen console but for my needs/wants, it's worth the extra cost especially when you factor in the price difference of games.

If you want to factor in other things/extras like k+m, speakers, sound card, extra drives then that will add a further £400-500 but these are more luxury/nice to haves.

Do agree though, the pricing of current components if buying new are crazy but you can build a perfectly capable 4k60 gaming pc if you don't have to buy the latest and greatest.

Only thing that keeps me on pc atm is ray tracing (made possible because of the hardware and most importantly dlss), 21.9, high refresh rate gaming and preferring m+k for some games. Only one console game where 30 fps was somewhat good was spiderman but that was largely down to how well they incorporated motion blur.

Again that is why I said go and look at forums (the console sub forum here being the best to see the enjoyment people got from going to 60), reviews to see the hate that 30 fps gets now that console gamers have got to witness/experience 60 fps, you could even say that is why there has been such a big backlash over gotham knights as it's back to 30 fps with no option for 60fps... had this been them going from 120 fps to 60, the backlash wouldn't have been the same.

The comparison of going from 30-60 and 100-130 is completely relevant here as you get to a point of diminishing returns when you get higher in fps range, 30 to 60 is the biggest leap in terms of a noticeable improvement and more valuable than going from 100 to 130 is, hence why people value the 0.1/1% lows more than the average/max fps when on pc gaming....

100% agree on the FPS. I'm honestly very happy at 60fps and decided to instead prioritise 3D +/- more FOV.

I've been caught out a few times on my higher refresh rate displays where I'm like 'omg wow this is so smooth and buttery so glad I went high refresh' and somehow windows has actually reset it to 60hz LOL.
Its a good difference, but I'd personally say its a 10% improvement whilst 30 fps to 60fps is like a 1000% improvement.

Obviously if you play more FPS or competitive games, refresh rate becomes more important, but I agree with you again in that I'd rather start pumping up the raytracing and GPU details, and smacking on some custom ENBs and RTX mods or increase the FOV with more screens or pixels than chase higher refresh rates.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
as everyone is all hopped up on consoles and 4090's the bottom end (£400 mark ergh) isnt getting any better value wise and im guessing probably wont until next year if the replacement mid to lower end gpu's come out at reasonable prices.

Soldato
This guy being the one to claim consoles would offer a better 4k experience than a 3080 as a 3080 is only good for 1080p because of the 10gb vram......

IPv3FHX.gif

Few understand though @TNA

:cry: :o

As mad as this is going to sound, the 3080 debacle taught me - trust NVIDIA when it comes to what will be a high performance card and not trust some guys on youtube. I watched those videos and fell into the camp and anxiety "will it have enough VRAM"... and BAM... it did have enough VRAM.

Soldato

It seems you didn't read what i said...
If you think the experience of going from 60 to 30 fps is relevant to the relative value of consoles and PCs, specifically your 3080 and PC for 60@4k vs a console for 30@4k then you're going have to at least say why you think it's relevant because ATM I'm not seeing it.

Caporegime
100% agree on the FPS. I'm honestly very happy at 60fps and decided to instead prioritise 3D +/- more FOV.

I've been caught out a few times on my higher refresh rate displays where I'm like 'omg wow this is so smooth and buttery so glad I went high refresh' and somehow windows has actually reset it to 60hz LOL.
Its a good difference, but I'd personally say its a 10% improvement whilst 30 fps to 60fps is like a 1000% improvement.

Obviously if you play more FPS or competitive games, refresh rate becomes more important, but I agree with you again in that I'd rather start pumping up the raytracing and GPU details, and smacking on some custom ENBs and RTX mods or increase the FOV with more screens or pixels than chase higher refresh rates.

I must admit, I do love high refresh rate gaming, a locked 170 fps on a qd-oled screen is soooo smooth but impossible to hit that unless you have a 4090 (and then still will need FG or/and upscaling tech), I can cope with 60-100 fps but do like to try and hold a constant 100+ fps.

As mad as this is going to sound, the 3080 debacle taught me - trust NVIDIA when it comes to what will be a high performance card and not trust some guys on youtube. I watched those videos and fell into the camp and anxiety "will it have enough VRAM"... and BAM... it did have enough VRAM.

You mean to say you don't take one liner comments with no evidence to backup their claims from the likes of MLID as gospel?! :eek: ;) :D :cry: :p

Oh and inb4 "FC 6!!!!!" *when forcing rebar on, running 4k MAXED with no FSR and running a benchmark :cry:

It seems you didn't read what i said...

If you think the experience of going from 60 to 30 fps is relevant to the relative value of consoles and PCs, specifically your 3080 and PC for 60@4k vs a console for 30@4k then you're going have to at least say why you think it's relevant because ATM I'm not seeing it.

Lets just agree to disagree as I have already made the point pretty clear.

Aoaaron obviously gets what I mean when you compare fps range to how much one values a certain leap and what you're going from:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Lets just agree to disagree as I have already made the point pretty clear.

Aoaaron obviously gets what I mean when you compare fps range to how much one values a certain leap and what you're going from:
Considering you don't seem to understand what's being discussed it's sort of hard to disagree.

If you think Aoaaron gets what you mean then you seem to be further from understanding what we were discussing than i thought, even after having it explained to you at least twice now.

Caporegime
Considering you don't seem to understand what's being discussed it's sort of hard to disagree.

If you think Aoaaron gets what you mean then you seem to be further from understanding what we were discussing than i thought, even after having it explained to you at least twice now.

I clearly do as again, go read forum users posts on when they first started playing console games at 60fps instead of 30 fps and seeing the "value" this "extra 30 fps" provides.... See again Aoaarons comments on how much he values going from 30-60 fps as opposed to the value of gaining 30 fps when already at 100fps.

Your first comment:

I'm not sure your extra 30fps offers good value for money.

So seems you don't understand what we are getting at here :)

EDIT:

One last attempt:

Going from 30 to 60 fps = of extreme value, one that I and I'm sure many would be willing to gladly pay a premium for, say an extra £200

Going from 100 to 130 fps = of poor value, one that I and I'm sure many would NOT be willing to gladly pay a premium for

Last edited:
Soldato
I clearly do as again...
Yea, nah you don't. I've literally pointed out to you on multiple occasions now that we, you and i, are discussing the relative value of consoles and PCs, specifically your 3080 and PC for 60@4k vs a console for 30@4k, if you think you and i are discussing anything else then i can only assume you're being intentionally obtuse because like i said you've had this pointed out to you on multiple occasions now.

Or is it that you're just one of those weirdo's who doesn't have the emotional maturity to admit to a mistake and would rather embarrass themselves by digging ever deeper.

e: Also if you're going to quote what someone said can you try not to quote what they said out of context, this is what i actually said...
Considering we're talking about a 30fps difference between your "PC for 60@4k" and a console that cost $200 less than a 3080, and that's before we include all the other components in the PC, I'm not sure your extra 30fps offers good value for money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah yes, as per usual resort to childish insults because someone has pointed out the flaw in your logic, says it all :rolleyes: :cry:

And on that note, I'm of to enjoy some 100+ fps on my bang per buck 3080 in grounded on this fine Saturday

0gHHuXF.gif

Soldato

Game development, GPU development, and CPU development have always progressed at the same speed. This is because game developers optimise for components that people have in their PC to guarantee their games are playable.

For example, game developers didn't optimise for more than 4 CPU cores until people actually had more than 4 CPU cores.

When stagnation happens in CPU or GPU, game developers hold back in that area of game development. Ergo, game developers held back and used lower quality textures (than they otherwise would have) to ensure that 10Gb was enough. The 3080 could have had 8Gb VRAM and it still would have been enough because game developers would have held back even more to ensure their games didn't exceed the 8Gb.

So to say 10Gb is enough is nonsensical because game developers would have targeted whatever arbitrary amount of VRAM it had to ensure it was enough.

Now that the 4080 has 16Gb, I guarantee that game developers will ensure that 16Gb is enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah yes, as per usual resort to childish insults because someone has pointed out the flaw in your logic, says it all :rolleyes: :cry:

And on that note, I'm of to enjoy some 100+ fps on my bang per buck 3080 in grounded on this fine Saturday
0gHHuXF.gif
You're more than welcome to point out the childish insult that I've supposedly used, i best not hold my breath though as i suspect you've just thrown that dead cat on the table because you're not capable of addressing the actually points i raised with you, like the last 3-4 times that you failed.

Soldato
Game development, GPU development, and CPU development have always progressed at the same speed. This is because game developers optimise for components that people have in their PC to guarantee their games are playable.

For example, game developers didn't optimise for more than 4 CPU cores until people actually had more than 4 CPU cores.

When stagnation happens in CPU or GPU, game developers hold back in that area of game development. Ergo, game developers held back and used lower quality textures (than they otherwise would have) to ensure that 10Gb was enough. The 3080 could have had 8Gb VRAM and it still would have been enough because game developers would have held back even more to ensure their games didn't exceed the 8Gb.

So to say 10Gb is enough is nonsensical because game developers would have targeted whatever arbitrary amount of VRAM it had to ensure it was enough.

Now that the 4080 has 16Gb, I guarantee that game developers will ensure that 16Gb is enough.

Most devs will target what they think the average PC has to maximise sales. This is why going between medium/high to ultra usually does not make a massive difference(unless you are looking at subtle details). So when the prices of entry level and mainstream/midrange components increase and performance stagnates,so does game development when it comes to GFX. Just look at when Crisis came out - we had the 8800GT which was a huge jump in mainstream/midrange performance. If not only a high end dGPU would have been able to run it an any decent settings. This is why so many games seem to be using consoles as a base too,since it wouldn't surprise me that for many gamers,a console is probably faster than their PC now.

Sure,you will get tech demo type games which will push the best hardware,but that is rare,and usually from Nvidia/AMD/Intel sponsoring companies,so they can showcase their latest wares,or a Star Citizen scenario,where the dev is very PC focussed. It might have also been part of the reason why Cyberpunk 2077 probably was more dialed down than people thought - the average gaming PC people had(and especially the consoles) probably was not fast enough. The same thing happened with The Witcher 3 which had a graphical downgrade from initial demos.

Last edited:
Soldato

The rtx4090 has more than double the 3080's VRAM and would you believe it, check out the benchmarks, it has more than double the performance too. Coincidence? I think not

Soldato

Great point

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
actually I am one of those obviously very rare people that cant really tell the difference. Not so much that it bothers me anyway.

I have during the last couple of years "discovered" console gaming and have to say I have really enjoyed it.

Just cant find the enthusiasm now to spend the now ridiculous levels of money needed for a new build even though I probably need one. Have realised (with shock) I do most of my gaming now on console rather than PC - which I tend to use for the smaller indie games that dont need the likes of a 3080 to run anyway.

I can tell the difference, but I find it does not bother me that much. You just get used to it after a while I find. I remember completing Crysis maxed out on my 8800 GTS back in the day with fps being around 22 and I had a blast :cry::D

Ideally I like 60 fps and find it plenty. But sure if you put even a single player game like God of War which is what I typically play to 90 fps I can easily tell the difference and yes it is better. But ultimately playing at 60 fps would not make me enjoy the game any less.

Oh that old cookie again, you on about your go to game FC 6 aren’t ya? :p

Had a brief go of it when Ubisoft gave a free pass for a month recently and could not believe you guys made such a huge deal over that crap. The graphics look much better on HZD in my opinion. Not mention it is a million times better too.

It was right before I did a nice clean install of windows. Had to sanitise my Intel Optane after installing Ubisoft launcher :cry:

Oh and inb4 "FC 6!!!!!" *when forcing rebar on, running 4k MAXED with no FSR and running a benchmark :cry:

:cry::cry::cry:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The rtx4090 has more than double the 3080's VRAM and would you believe it, check out the benchmarks, it has more than double the performance too. Coincidence? I think not

The RTX 3090 has more than double the 3080 Ti’s VRAM and would you believe it, check out the benchmarks, it makes **** all difference to the performance. Coincidence? I think not :D

You do talk a load of crap still at times Grim :cry:

Back
Top Bottom