• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Nvidia can cancel TSMC orders if demand fell. Looked at both Apple and AMD cancelled TSMC orders to cut down iPhone 14 and Zen 4 productions when demand fell.

I think you maybe conflating cancelling orders and shifting production, from what I've read TSMC are pretty strict in that once you've booked and paid for wafer allocations there's no backing out, most they'll do is allow you to shift production by a few months. I would imagine Apple shifted wafer allocation away from the iPhone 15 Plus to either another product that uses the A15 or another product that uses 5nm silicon like the A14, A16, any of the M chips.

Same thing with AMD, they'll just switch the wafers that would've been used to make 7000 processors to other 5nm silicon like GPUs. While Nvidia has some leeway with this due to them also producing silicon to go in networking gear (Mellanox), Tegra, Tesla, etc, etc. They have much less room to manoeuvre than Apple or AMD.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I hope and think they might stagnate i.e. when covid/inflation/world economy/people just reach the end of their tether with prices (i'm not far off).
It should have an impact but I tend to feel the people buying high end GPUs aren't the ones who are that phased by cost of living going up. Obviously you'll get some who traditionally push the boat out and spend their last pennies on gfx cards who will no longer afford it, but there's this cohort of PC gamers in their 30s and 40s earning good coin, call them them the 'middle class' PC gaming enthusiasts or whatever for whom £4k energy bills and 10% inflation is just water off a ducks back. Some of those may have crypto warchests as well in the sense that their recent gfx cards paid for themselves meaning they have even more cash sloshing around to spend on the new cards, albeit without the ongoing crypto hauls.

Soldato
It should have an impact but I tend to feel the people buying high end GPUs aren't the ones who are that phased by cost of living going up.

People forget that amongst all the hype generated by Nvidia & E-tailers like OCUK, the actual numbers of 4090 cards sold, is tiny.

I bet that there were only about 2-3000 cards in the UK for launch, spread out amongst all the retailers and will only continue to trickle in, probably in the low hundreds each month for the rest of its 2yr market lifespan, Its nothing, shouting 'SOLD OUT!!' from the rooftops with such low numbers is not relevant for the wider market.

Soldato
People forget that amongst all the hype generated by Nvidia & E-tailers like OCUK, the actual numbers of 4090 cards sold, is tiny.

I bet that there were only about 2-3000 cards in the UK for launch, spread out amongst all the retailers and will only continue to trickle in, probably in the low hundreds each month for the rest of its 2yr market lifespan, Its nothing, shouting 'SOLD OUT!!' from the rooftops with such low numbers is not relevant for the wider market.

I believe there are stock piles of 4090s, just being drip fed and making it look like there is shortages. This is not the same as 30 series issues.

It can clearly be seen with the 4090FE being drip fed and allocated amounts to be sold each drop, while nvidia sends out invites to buy them via GE, so if they sold out how do they have stock at that retailer selling them on behalf of Nvidia to sell to GE invites ? :cry:;) Because they are being deliberately drip fed and no shortages of actual stock of them.

Also watching retailers online everyday dropping AIB models in small amounts of the same models and make tells me they have a stock pile of them, it's not like everyday they are getting 10-20 of them to do that. Seriously the greed is at an all time high to keep the prices gouged and not even at msrp the profit for retailers and everyone involved in this scam is unreal for such a product.

Last edited:
Soldato
The answer has always been to just not buy them but there are too many people who will want them/buy them regardless.
Out of curiosity, I entered some of the scalper (4090) cards into the camel price tracking site and every card I checked was steadily dropping in price.

Supply and demand is slowly doing its thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe there are stock piles of 4090s, just being drip fed and making it look like there is shortages. This is not the same as 30 series issues.

It can clearly be seen with the 4090FE being drip fed and allocated amounts to be sold each drop, while nvidia sends out invites to buy them via GE, so if they sold out how do they have stock at that retailer selling them on behalf of Nvidia to sell to GE invites ? :cry:;) Because they are being deliberately drip fed and no shortages of actual stock of them.

Also watching retailers online everyday dropping AIB models in small amounts of the same models and make tells me they have a stock pile of them, it's not like everyday they are getting 10-20 of them to do that. Seriously the greed is at an all time high to keep the prices gouged and not even at msrp the profit for retailers and everyone involved in this scam is unreal for such a product.

It's so transparent what they're doing.

Soldato

Jensen did effectively say this was part of the strategy.

I guess it's what businesses do to maximise profits unfortunately

Caporegime

Preach. :)

Soldato
I think you maybe conflating cancelling orders and shifting production, from what I've read TSMC are pretty strict in that once you've booked and paid for wafer allocations there's no backing out, most they'll do is allow you to shift production by a few months. I would imagine Apple shifted wafer allocation away from the iPhone 15 Plus to either another product that uses the A15 or another product that uses 5nm silicon like the A14, A16, any of the M chips.

Same thing with AMD, they'll just switch the wafers that would've been used to make 7000 processors to other 5nm silicon like GPUs. While Nvidia has some leeway with this due to them also producing silicon to go in networking gear (Mellanox), Tegra, Tesla, etc, etc. They have much less room to manoeuvre than Apple or AMD.

AMD should try cutting prices instead.

Back
Top Bottom