• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
The 4080 costs about £250 to make so anyone buying one for £1250+ might aswell just donate their cash to Nvidias shareholders.

Soldato
The pricing of this gen is the nail in the coffin for me and gaming tbh. If AMDs new cards are just as stupid in price per performance, that's it for me. Another 2 weeks to wait until I decide, when AMDs cards are out and reviews in.

At the point now where I think to make an upgrade worthwhile and to get some VFM you're looking at waiting 2 or even 3 gens. You do have to look for a really good deal too.

Associate
The 4080 costs about £250 to make so anyone buying one for £1250+ might aswell just donate their cash to Nvidias shareholders.

Where does your £250 price come from? The 'pro' leakers would have us believe that their AIB sources were bleating that they couldn't break even on the £650 3080 release rrp. [source MLID]

Soldato
Where does your £250 price come from? The 'pro' leakers would have us believe that their AIB sources were bleating that they couldn't break even on the £650 3080 release rrp. [source MLID]
What it costs nvidia to make and what they charge AIBs (plus the AIB's own expenses) will be two very different numbers.

Of course they may have been lying too. But Nvidia won't be selling them anywhere near 'cost' price.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would guess some place like this.

Associate
Thanks! Reading that its $300 for chip, memory and PCB. So leaves out shipping, cooler, warranty, retailer costs, Nvidia software costs/profit. They also qualify their figure by saying "Remember that this is a guess based on napkin math".

Seems legit.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The pricing of this gen is the nail in the coffin for me and gaming tbh. If AMDs new cards are just as stupid in price per performance, that's it for me. Another 2 weeks to wait until I decide, when AMDs cards are out and reviews in.

Hey subby TNA. Great news for AMD and us is the pound is slowly recovering. I can’t see why AMD won’t be able to hit £999 on the 7900 XTX if they wanted assuming exchange rate stays or improves. Though Gibbo and ASUS will likely add a hundred or two on top for “reasons” :p

Soldato
Thanks! Reading that its $300 for chip, memory and PCB. So leaves out shipping, cooler, warranty, retailer costs, Nvidia software costs/profit. They also qualify their figure by saying "Remember that this is a guess based on napkin math".

Seems legit.
No one said it did include those things, in fact the post that started this specifically said cost to make.

Even if we doubled that to cover everything you mentioned it still wouldn't come close to the $1.2k asking price, that is unless you think all those things you mentioned cost 3x more than the actual card costs to make.

Associate
Those types of posts are completely worthless. No one knows the costs of Nvidia software development. But its plain to see what happens when its neglected. Intel cards = worthless. AMD, years of poor drivers in the previous decade = masses driven away to Nvidia and collapsed market share. Software costs a lot. The other things cost a lot.

Everyone knows the 1250 price is bad and not representative of the true cost to box on shelf price. Nvidia will have known this.

Soldato
Those types of posts are completely worthless. No one knows the costs of Nvidia software development. But its plain to see what happens when its neglected. Intel cards = worthless. AMD, years of poor drivers in the previous decade = masses driven away to Nvidia and collapsed market share. Software costs a lot. The other things cost a lot.

Everyone knows the 1250 price is bad and not representative of the true cost to box on shelf price. Nvidia will have known this.
More worth than your estimate though, and again no one other than yourself said anything about software development, you're more than welcome to provide your own estimation of that though as you seem so interested in it and everything else other than the cost of the materiels.

People have estimated the cost of the materiels that go into manufacturing both the 4090 and 4080, you're more than welcome to come up with your own estimation and how you arrived at it. If you're not willing or aren't capable of doing so then you're ill qualified to dismiss other estimations.

Soldato
I would guess some place like this.

Manufacture costs are tiny compared to design costs. It takes many years to design an architecture and costs £billions. It will take a few months to break even.

Soldato
Manufacture costs are tiny compared to design costs. It takes many years to design an architecture and costs £billions. It will take a few months to break even.
Last year Nvidia made 3bn profit in a single quarter, this year it's down to 1.3bn last quarter (before depreciation and tax) from 6bn revenue while their operating expenses (e.g.inc wages to the designers) are 1.7bn.
They returned 2.5bn to shareholders via stock purchases in the same timeframe
Nvidia are not short of cash and it still doesn't justify charging £1200+ for what was an xx70 class GPU last generation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom