• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Both fully unlocked dies. So a proper comparison as well.

That's not to take away from the price increase from $599 to $799 though.

Last edited:
Also since some people love Moore's law and base their entire argument on it.

The 3070 Ti has 17.4bn transistors.

The 4070 Ti has 35.8bn transistors.

The 2070 Ti (at least the super) has 13.5bn transistors.

The 1070 Ti has 7.2bn transistors.

Sorry what was your point. :cry:

Point is nvidia have more than doubled the transistors for a specific GPU class.

Nvidia simply used a much better 4nm node than the last generation and even what AMD is using now. They have actually satisfied Moore's law.

Some people here who think die area matters, sound like they would have been happier if nvidia used a cheaper/worse node.

If anything this shows the 70 Ti naming was actually appropriate.

Also in your comparison, you want to focus on the fully unlocked TU104 chip which is the 2080 super from memory. That was 13.6bn transistors as well. The 2070 super wouldn't have been using a lot of the actual die.

Last edited:
If they can't make our money perform meaningfully better, it's not meaningful progress.

It's just stagnation. The 3080 I bought for $700 CRUSHED the 2080 that launched at $800. That's what progress looks like.

I didn't buy the 2080 though because it didn't provide a meaningful uplift over my 1080Ti.

$700 Pascal was progress.

$800 Turing wasn't

$700 Ampere was progress.

$800 Ada isn't.

Point is nvidia have more than doubled the transistors for a specific GPU class.
Not the first time, that's how the last 50 years of IC manufacturing has generally worked and what that Wikipedia article you linked to describes.
Nvidia simply used a much better 4nm node than the last generation and even what AMD is using now. They have actually satisfied Moore's law.
I suggest you read what the Wikipedia article describes because it ain't "a much better" node every two years, it's not even close.
Some people here who think die area matters, sound like they would have been happier if nvidia used a cheaper/worse node.
And it does but only in relation to reducing the reticle size so you can fit more into the same area.
If anything this shows the 70 Ti naming was actually appropriate.
They didn't intended it to be that though, so, yea...
Also in your comparison, you want to focus on the fully unlocked TU104 chip which is the 2080 super from memory. That was 13.6bn transistors as well. The 2070 super wouldn't have been using a lot of the actual die.

Ain't my comparison, you're the one who posted the Wikipedia article and a couple of links to the TPU GPU database.

Last edited:
So tldr 4070 Ti is a consistent naming scheme for the top 104 die has an appropriate gen on gen transistor count increase.

Not that any of that matters, as its always performance. Not die area, transistor count or name thay affects the end value to a user.

Last edited:

£100 off just like that, £1300 radeon not a hot seller, who knew.........

It is actually a great seller, but 600 units have dropped in today and to boot booked at 1.24 rate so doing a weekend special to blast a couple hundred out with any luck. We have sold 261 units in the last 10 days on this card, so I'd say its a pretty hot seller. :)

And who would know it is my job to actually try and keep the products in stock at all times, in a perfect world nothing would ever be out of stock on the website. ;)

Last edited:
It is actually a great seller, but 600 units have dropped in today and to boot booked at 1.24 rate so doing a weekend special to blast a couple hundred out with any luck. We have sold 261 units in the last 10 days on this card, so I'd say its a pretty hot seller. :)

And who would know it is my job to actually try and keep the products in stock at all times, in a perfect world nothing would ever be out of stock on the website. ;)

Raven thinks he knows how well every card sells by how many show in stock though. Not accounting for an kind of automatic replenishment you have set up etc or other systems,.

Last edited:
Raven thinks he knows how well every card sells by how many show in stock though. Not accounting for an kind of automatic replenishment you have set up etc or other systems,.

Don't take my word for it, there is a recent report showing lowest GPU sales for 20 years. If nvidia can't shift £1199 4080s, you think AMD are shifting that many XTXs. Only so many radeon fans with that kind of dosh.

Don't take my word for it, there is a recent report showing lowest GPU sales for 20 years. If nvidia can't shift £1199 4080s, you think AMD are shifting that many XTXs. Only so many radeon fans with that kind of dosh.

Oh yeah I don't doubt the sales are slower. I'm just not convinced of the tracking method for this site in particular is all.

The question is, does anyone really care or should care about the specs of the card? Lets say the 5090 is 3 times as fast as the 4090 but it uses the xx6 die. Would you actually care? I wouldn't, for sure. I buy performance, not specs.
Price vs. performance is a regression on last gen. Take that into account with the cost to manufacture and you have yourself a joke of a product.

On the other hand, the 4090 is a good product IMO. It must cost a huge amount to manufacture, and its price vs. performance is excellent for a halo product. It is good value for those who want to spend 2k.

For people wanting to spend £500, nothing. And incoming products are rumoured to be more of the same...

Last edited:
I find it hilarious people focus on die area. If anything it should be transistors you count. It shows a real misunderstanding of how you measure improvements in semiconductors when people focus on the overall size than the thing that actually makes something more complex.

Otherwise you are basically saying if nvidia used a worse node, like AMD did then it would have been okay for them to charge more.

I suggest you go away and look at the transistor counts. How many in the 3090 Ti and how many in the 4070 Ti? Since performance doesn't matter apparently, the 4070 Ti blows the 3090 Ti away in transistors :D
Transistor count is a shocking metric for performance. Go work out the transistor count increase for the 4090 Vs the 3090, and the performance uplift. It's massively sublinear.

Meanwhile, die size is a better indicator of cost and yields (because you buy wafers, not transistors), so you can more easily infer "value" from a cost to manufacture perspective.

Obviously price vs. performance is king, but when faced with objectively poor price vs. performance, you should ask "is this expensive because it is pricey to make, demand is high or are margins the primary goal?". The 4080 and 4070ti are obviously margin focused, which is a shame because NV make brilliant products and have historically prioritised product.

Last edited:
Transistor count is a shocking metric for performance. Go work out the transistor count increase for the 4090 Vs the 3090, and the performance uplift. It's massively sublinear.

Meanwhile, die size is a better indicator of cost and yields (because you buy wafers, not transistors), so you can more easily infer "value" from a cost to manufacture perspective.

Obviously price vs. performance is king, but when faced with objectively poor price vs. performance, you should ask "is this expensive because it is pricey to make, demand is high or are margins the primary goal of a product". The 4080 and 4070ti are obviously margin focused, which is a shame because NV make brilliant products and have historically prioritised product.

Have you noticed no one mentioned the transistor count for the large cache on 40xx series ? They think all them transistors are dedicated to processing and clearly forgetting the large cache that has been added this time that takes a lot of the silicon die space too.

Last edited:
youve got to remember gibbos a salesman. hes not going to say cards arent selling well. just google nvidias sales for last three months. lol. says it all.

42% decline in gpu sales in last year alone. yeah they flying out ! :cry: amd down to 10 percent of the gpu market as well. why you think they cancelled buying gpu chips .

Last edited:
If they can't make our money perform meaningfully better, it's not meaningful progress.

It's just stagnation. The 3080 I bought for $700 CRUSHED the 2080 that launched at $800. That's what progress looks like.

I didn't buy the 2080 though because it didn't provide a meaningful uplift over my 1080Ti.

$700 Pascal was progress.

$800 Turing wasn't

$700 Ampere was progress.

$800 Ada isn't.
Well ADA is progress its just that the progress starts at £1200.

youve got to remember gibbos a salesman. hes not going to say cards arent selling well. just google nvidias sales for last three months. lol. says it all.

42% decline in gpu sales in last year alone. yeah they flying out ! :cry: amd down to 10 percent of the gpu market as well. why you think they cancelled buying gpu chips .

So says the guy who said RTX 3080’s we’re gonna be £500 new, how’s that going? :p

XTX Nitro is a very strong seller the fact OcUK is one if not the only reseller with this card in the U.K. means it’s doing extremely well for us. GPU sales are absolutely down worldwide but here at OcUK we’re doing very well and have already sold more GPUs this month than we did last January during a mining and work from home boom.

It’s fair to say the Nitro is the best XTX card on the market and as such it sells very well.

The price is for weekend only so anything thinking of grabbing one do so. :)

Back
Top Bottom