• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
well that's fine and also it has
This is the thing, in every previous generation IT DID, but with this gen it hasn't. The new cards are faster but they are also more expensive by a larger factor. The only card that has marginally improved on price/performance over the previous gen is the 4090, so Nvidia are in effect trying to push all of their sales from what was £600+ to £1800+.

I honestly don't understand any thought process that can't see how deeply anti-consumer this approach is.

Soldato
This is the thing, in every previous generation IT DID, but with this gen it hasn't. The new cards are faster but they are also more expensive by a larger factor. The only card that has marginally improved on price/performance over the previous gen is the 4090, so Nvidia are in effect trying to push all of their sales from what was £600+ to £1800+.

I honestly don't understand any thought process that can't see how deeply anti-consumer this approach is.

It makes no sense to me no matter how you look at it. I have no idea what NVIDIA and AMD are thinking. It's almost unbelievable that they really thought they could scalp people they way they are trying, especially when we are on the edge of a recession. I don't know if they are truly out of touch or whether this is all according to some master plan. Why in heavens name they would want to kick the PC market when it's already down is just, well, complete insanity to me.

Soldato
Someone wants to say that as technology improves the same level of performance (relative to inflation) should get cheaper - well that's fine and also it has. Someone wants to say that as technology improves you should get more performance for the cost (relative to inflation) - well that's also fine and again, that's happened.
1% improvement in value is *technically* an improvement, yet effectively stagnation.

$700 Pascal and Ampere is what real progress looks like.

$800 Turing and Ada are not even close to that.

Last edited:
Soldato
It makes no sense to me no matter how you look at it. I have no idea what NVIDIA and AMD are thinking. It's almost unbelievable that they really thought they could scalp people they way they are trying, especially when we are on the edge of a recession. I don't know if they are truly out of touch or whether this is all according to some master plan. Why in heavens name they would want to kick the PC market when it's already down is just, well, complete insanity to me.
The only chance Nvidia had to maintain crypto profits during a bear market is to charge gamers crypto prices and hope enough would pay, we’ll see how well that’s going in just under a months time when they have their earnings report.

Soldato
The only chance Nvidia had to maintain crypto profits during a bear market is to charge gamers crypto prices and hope enough would pay, we’ll see how well that’s going in just under a months time when they have their earnings report.

Is crypto going up again now too, i read something earlier on twitter but twitter being twitter and the place to spam crypto all time wasn't sure if that was true, but if that does happen well good luck to future gpu prices too as for UK with our energy prices I doubt crypto will ever be worth doing again in the near future but rest of the world are not going through our energy scam we are facing.

Last edited:
Associate
Is crypto going up again now too, i read something earlier on twitter but twitter being twitter and the place to spam crypto all time wasn't sure if that was true, but if that does happen well good luck to future gpu prices too as for UK with our energy prices I doubt crypto will ever be worth doing again in the near future but rest of the world are not going threw our energy scam we are facing.

You grammar is nowhere near as good as your imagination.

Last edited:
Associate
Definitely not in 2013 though!

I don't think 720p would ever have been a gaming resolution. As the jump from 4:3 to 16:10 would have been at least 1680*1050.
I was playing at 1024x768 until 2012, when my last CRT got too dim to keep using.
Anyway I find sad that some people keep defending price increases "because we get more performance", like it's some unique thing.

Let's play a similar comparison:
2012 - 250€ got me a 24" 1080/60 monitor
2021 - 250€ got me a curved 32" 1080/75/freesync monitor

Today with 250€ I could upgrade my 2021 setup to 1440p.

@EIT:
I probably shouldn't wade into this but I don't think so. Is a ten bedroom house the three bedroom house of today? Is caviar the Aero of 2023? Not everything is relative, some things are absolute. And what you get today, adjusted for inflation, is absolutely far more powerful than you'd get in the past. What you're talking about is Keeping Up With the Joneses. It's more expensive to stay relative to the "mid-range".

Ok, let's play it from the other end:
2017 - 1080p/ultra for $220 (RX 580)
2021 - 1080p/ultra for $329 (RX 6600)
2022 - RX 6500XT is released, RX580 performance for $199 on a card so cut down that made Ryanair flights look like a luxury experience in comparison

Unless you're going to argue that in 2017 1080p/ultra was "high end" I'm afraid the Joneses are going to have to auction their properties if they want to keep upgrading.

Mind that the blame has to be shared though: one one side AMD and Nvidia keep defending their margins like they are a monopoly, while on the other we see TSMC doing the same, which has been leading to performance stagnation in other sectors as well, like smartphones where the average ANTUTU score for <$250 phones is almost the same as 2020.
When we turn around and look at CPUs we see an healthy competition steadily pushing better value per dollar (and coincidentally lower margins), so it's not like we're seeing a true technological barrier but plain old greed.

The good news in this is that fat margins are attracting new players (mainly Intel but also a few chinese companies are targeting the space) so in a couple years we might have an healthier market again!
Some of you might be too young to remember what an healthy competitive market looks like so take a look at the kind of choice we used to have:

Soldato

Maybe, yes. As I said, it makes no sense to me but maybe that is what they are trying. They knew they weren't going to sell many even at reasonable prices so they hiked the price up because it was their only option. But to me, what they should do is slow down releases and stop having this big thing every two years. Make it three years or four. Scale down the release of products. Trying to maintain a two year cycle if nothing is selling is just madness.

Associate
I remember this looking so much better when I was a kid, lol. Would stack up all the lasers and fire them off at once, while they cooled down I'd cycle to the next stack. Loved blowing off robot arms and legs.
Transitioning from CRT to flat screens made many older games harder to look at.
Personally I can't play old build engine games anymore as they give me nausea... Still, one of the best games of the era, toppled only by Mechwarrior 3 which imho was the apex of the series.

Associate
25 year old me is very offended ;)

800 x 600 FTW baby. :D
25 year old me is very offended
;)

King's Quest 4: 200 x 320 in the hi-res version. You really had to use you imagination in those days! :)

Soldato

Weird generation of people who love their tech corps, and place the need to feel validated through that association, over their own best interests.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird generation of people who love their tech corps, and place the need to feel validated through that association, over their own best interests.
Think it's more or less been like this since Apply became the mainstream.

Now many users are acting like simps toward their favour (tech) company instead of being responsible on how they spend their money, and we have reach the point that companies think they can extract every dime from their fans even encouraging them to go into debt for it.

Associate
Think it's more or less been like this since Apply became the mainstream.

Now many users are acting like simps toward their favour (tech) company instead of being responsible on how they spend their money, and we have reach the point that companies think they can extract every dime from their fans even encouraging them to go into debt for it.

Which tech company will be first to start an OnlyFans.

Back
Top Bottom