• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Caporegime
So says the guy who said RTX 3080’s we’re gonna be £500 new, how’s that going? :p

XTX Nitro is a very strong seller the fact OcUK is one if not the only reseller with this card in the U.K. means it’s doing extremely well for us. GPU sales are absolutely down worldwide but here at OcUK we’re doing very well and have already sold more GPUs this month than we did last January during a mining and work from home boom.

It’s fair to say the Nitro is the best XTX card on the market and as such it sells very well.

The price is for weekend only so anything thinking of grabbing one do so. :)
ill give it to ya you are a good salesman
:D

Soldato
Hence no progress :p

That's ok though, i am sure Jensen won't forget about his Ampere friends next gen :cry:
So far with ADA a 70ti at $800 gives you ampere -5%, an 80 at $1200 gives you ampere +20% and $1600 gives you ampere +60%.

With ampere we got a 70 non ti $500 for Turing +-0%, an 80 at $700 for Turing +25%, an 80ti at $1200 for Turing +35% and a 90 for $1500 for +40%.

So not only are prices up but the performance per tier of card is down on all but the 90.

Last edited:
Associate
Both players decided that the money is with datacenter and bulk prebuilt/console market and DYI is a rich people's game.
In their minds if you want to play for cheap either you buy a console or stream your games from their datacenters (where AMD is done through Microsoft).

If that's how they want to play PC gaming will switch to indie and retrogaming, basically going back 15-20 years in looks.
I'll give you an example in EU prices of how we're being shafted:
In 2013 1500€ would buy you a top of the line (i7-3770k, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD7970) gaming PC
In 2023 1500€ would buy you a 13700k and 32GB RAM setup but no GPU.

If I have to use my personal salary growth as a stick, the best I could afford on top of that in a RX6700 non XT. This is actually already slightly above average for Italy as I recently changed jobs, otherwise there would be room only perhaps for a RX6600 non XT.
I used to be an enthusiast but if I wanted to buy a top level I'd need to spend close to 3000€, if using a 4090 would actually exceed that.

If this keep going we will fall back to the price/performance ratios of the 20th century, where you needed several salaries to buy a PC.

Soldato
Both players decided that the money is with datacenter and bulk prebuilt/console market and DYI is a rich people's game.
In their minds if you want to play for cheap either you buy a console or stream your games from their datacenters (where AMD is done through Microsoft).

If that's how they want to play PC gaming will switch to indie and retrogaming, basically going back 15-20 years in looks.
I'll give you an example in EU prices of how we're being shafted:
In 2013 1500€ would buy you a top of the line (i7-3770k, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD7970) gaming PC
In 2023 1500€ would buy you a 13700k and 32GB RAM setup but no GPU.

If I have to use my personal salary growth as a stick, the best I could afford on top of that in a RX6700 non XT. This is actually already slightly above average for Italy as I recently changed jobs, otherwise there would be room only perhaps for a RX6600 non XT.
I used to be an enthusiast but if I wanted to buy a top level I'd need to spend close to 3000€, if using a 4090 would actually exceed that.

If this keep going we will fall back to the price/performance ratios of the 20th century, where you needed several salaries to buy a PC.

What resolution did you play at in 2013? What card do you need for that same resolution today (lets assume high/ultra settings).

Last edited:
Reactions: ElT
Caporegime
So says the guy who said RTX 3080’s we’re gonna be £500 new, how’s that going? :p
image.png

Soldato
Don't take my word for it, there is a recent report showing lowest GPU sales for 20 years. If nvidia can't shift £1199 4080s, you think AMD are shifting that many XTXs. Only so many radeon fans with that kind of dosh.

Well there's kind of a global recession. Car sales are at a 30 year low. House sales are at a 20 year low. Tech companies in general have laid off thousands due to poor sales.

So 4080 sales would have been low even if they were priced like the old days.

Soldato
Well there's kind of a global recession. Car sales are at a 30 year low. House sales are at a 20 year low. Tech companies in general have laid off thousands due to poor sales.

Unfortunately only the likes of AMD and NVIDIA will know this. They will have had predictions of sales, and who knows by how far they have missed their targets... and in fact how they will interpret those sales. Don't forget that people cover their behind. If sales are lower than predicted people will look for something to blame other than themselves. If they can blame it on a declining market they will and the message that the price is too high will be lost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately only the likes of AMD and NVIDIA will know this. They will have had predictions of sales, and who knows by how far they have missed their targets... and in fact how they will interpret those sales. Don't forget that people cover their behind. If sales are lower than predicted people will look for something to blame other than themselves. If they can blame it on a declining market they will and the message that the price is too high will be lost.

They'll probably blame gamers for not buying enough cards.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yet the 4090 seems to be in higher demand than their two cheaper 40 series cards. (Although I have noticed that too is in stock regularly now in the US)

As Nvidia releases products at lower price points, the generational value improvement evaporates, and so does the incentive to upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
Except that 1080p back then was the 4k of the era so your comparison is moot.
A 720p capable PC would cost you under 1000€ back then.

1080p in 2013 was definitely not 4K today.

I can see from receipts I bought a 23" 1080p monitor for £189 in 2010.

Resolution inflation on top of graphics quality inflation is not a given.

1680*1050 was also the main resolution back then. Monitors like the SM226BW were released in 2007.

720p was not even remotely an acceptable resolution. Doubt it ever was as the resolution before 1680*1050 would have been 1280*1024.

Last edited:

ElT

ElT

Associate
Except that 1080p back then was the 4k of the era so your comparison is moot.
I probably shouldn't wade into this but I don't think so. Is a ten bedroom house the three bedroom house of today? Is caviar the Aero of 2023? Not everything is relative, some things are absolute. And what you get today, adjusted for inflation, is absolutely far more powerful than you'd get in the past. What you're talking about is Keeping Up With the Joneses. It's more expensive to stay relative to the "mid-range". But then if people are drifting to consoles and streamed games then that comparison is to an ever more rarified group. "Mid-range", "high-end", "ultra settings" are all arbitrary terms. Game developers today cram far more into "ultra" than they did ten years ago. What was "ultra" ten years ago? Litter would move around Batman's feet in Arkham City, I remember that being a high-setting. Today it's a laundry list of improvements and fancy tech.

Someone wants to say that as technology improves the same level of performance (relative to inflation) should get cheaper - well that's fine and also it has. Someone wants to say that as technology improves you should get more performance for the cost (relative to inflation) - well that's also fine and again, that's happened. But someone wants to draw some intersection of the two and say the lines cross here because an ever shrinking group that self-selects for disposable income has that as its median price-performance that they're willing to pay. Well that's inherently going to be disappointing to anybody who cares about cost.

ElT

ElT

Associate

XTX Nitro is a very strong seller the fact OcUK is one if not the only reseller with this card in the U.K. means it’s doing extremely well for us. GPU sales are absolutely down worldwide but here at OcUK we’re doing very well and have already sold more GPUs this month than we did last January during a mining and work from home boom.

It’s fair to say the Nitro is the best XTX card on the market and as such it sells very well.

The price is for weekend only so anything thinking of grabbing one do so. :)
Out of curiosity, how is the Radeon 7900XT doing relative to the 7900XTX if you're willing to say? I just got the former and I'm very happy but I'm curious if I'm an edge case given the price-performance of the XTX seems to be notably better.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. I thought someone else had already replied.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Out of curiosity, how is the Radeon 7900XT doing relative to the 7900XTX if you're willing to say? I just got the former and I'm very happy but I'm curious if I'm an edge case given the price-performance of the XTX seems to be notably better.

Not only are you a edge case, you are a special case :p

OcUK Staff

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. I thought someone else had already replied.

XTX sells much better. XT is a steady seller.

Back
Top Bottom