• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
The industry has certainly come full circle. When 3D accelerators first showed up they came from companies whose ambition was to make 3D rendering accessible to the everyman whereas previously it had been the exclusive domain of super expensive machines such as that from Silicon Graphics. By the time Nvidia gets round to selling it's 4090 Ti it's going to probably cost north of £2k.

I can't remember how much I paid but Voodoo 1 cost me around £100 and was genuinely revolutionary. These days you can't even get entry level crap for £100 new :(.

Associate
The industry has certainly come full circle. When 3D accelerators first showed up they came from companies whose ambition was to make 3D rendering accessible to the everyman whereas previously it had been the exclusive domain of super expensive machines such as that from Silicon Graphics. By the time Nvidia gets round to selling it's 4090 Ti it's going to probably cost north of £2k.

I can't remember how much I paid but Voodoo 1 cost me around £100 and was genuinely revolutionary. These days you can't even get entry level crap for £100 new :(.
I paid the equivalent of 300€ for a Voodoo2 to complement my Matrox Mistique 220, brilliant cards both of them.

Soldato

What I think is worse today is that the price difference between reference cards and aib models is often more than what used to be the cost of a decent gpu. What used to get you a whole gpu now gets you a better cooler and some tacky lights!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What I think is worse today is that the price difference between reference cards and aib models is often more than what used to be the cost of a decent gpu. What used to get you a whole gpu now gets you a better cooler and some tacky lights!

Meterial prices have shot up apparently. It is exponentially more expensive to make coolers these days :p

Soldato
Meterial prices have shot up apparently. It is exponentially more expensive to make coolers these days :p

Thats may be the case but its not like the referenace card don't have a cooler also. I mean do AIB card coolers really cost £300 more than the reference coolers. Oh wait I forgot, you get an extra pci-e power connector. That much be were the extra cost is :p and the extra 3% performance

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thats may be the case but its not like the referenace card don't have a cooler also. I mean do AIB card coolers really cost £300 more than the reference coolers. Oh wait I forgot, you get an extra pci-e power connector. That much be were the extra cost is :p and the extra 3% performance

Agreed. If I had to guess, the extra cost I think is the way these companies can make a decent profit due to how little Nvidia leave them these days.

Moan moan moan moan, it's all you ****ers know what to do!!!

:p

Well, when the alternative is to slide your trousers down and bend over :p

Soldato
It was posted in the CPU subsection of the forums but i thought I'd post it here too as it's just as relevant to GPUs... (AMD earnings call)
Now turning to our Gaming segment. Revenue declined 7% year-over-year to $1.6 billion as lower gaming graphics sales more than offset higher semi-custom revenue. Semi-Custom SoC revenue grew year-over-year as demand for game consoles remained strong during the holidays. Gaming graphics revenue declined year-over-year as we further reduced desktop GPU downstream channel inventory.
So if anyone is questioning why GPU prices ain't coming down you have your answer, it's because both the main manufactures of GPUs are restricting supply. I guess it's just a coincidence that Nvidia and AMD are both following the same strategy, strategies that wouldn't work if they weren't both doing it.

And they're doing that in-spite of...
Gaming segment revenue was $1.6 billion, down 7% year-over-year due to lower gaming graphics revenue, partially offset by higher semi-customer product sales. Gaming operating income was $266 million or 16% of revenue compared to $407 million or 23% a year ago. The decrease was primarily due to lower graphics revenue.
You'd be forgiven for thinking they conceded the PC gaming market to Nvidia in favour of the custom SoCs that go into consoles.

Back
Top Bottom