• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Cpu pricing has started to go down on the amd side due to slow sales, same thing could happen to the gpu side if sales are sluggish. Though you have people like MLID (bs merchant) claiming the 79 series gpus are selling well. Amd, Intel and nvidia are all taking the **** to say the least with pricing.
They can't be irelevant on both markets.

Soldato
Exactly. And this is no competition.

Ironically,for a lot of 2021 and 2022,Intel actually had better value options in CPU such as the Core i5 10400,etc and the sub £200 Ryzen 5 CPUs being missing. Yet,many people were willing to pay more for a worse value AMD CPU despite people pointing it out to them. This is basically what AMD fans were telling people who were buying worse value Intel CPUs,over better value AMD CPUs in the years before. There was a flip-flop.

Then the defence of Zen3 being priced more per core than overpriced Intel CPUs. Then they started removing stock coolers and reducing the quality of the ones they did supply.....like Intel but with none of the criticism. Now people are surprised with how much Zen4 and AM5 were priced at launch?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironically,for a lot of 2021 and 2022,Intel actually had better value options in CPU such as the Core i5 10400,etc and the sub £200 Ryzen 5 CPUs being missing. Yet,many people were willing to pay more for a worse value AMD CPU despite people pointing it to them. This is basically what AMD fans were telling people who were buying worse value Intel CPUs,over better value AMD CPUs in the years before. There was a flip-flop.

Then the defence of Zen3 being priced more per core than overpriced Intel CPUs. Then they started removing stock coolers and reducing the quality of the ones they did supply.....like Intel but with none of the criticism. Now people are surprised with how much Zen4 and AM5 were priced at launch?

Yeah, that's what I found to be real funny. The goal posts moved once it was about AMD and not about Intel or nVIDIA.

Soldato
GPU market badly needs more competition, but Intel's recent earnings report was bad, not sure AMD has lost interest in being competitive, they seem content with whatever sales they get at Nvidia style prices.
So that's means they are happy with almost nt sales at all.
Fixed costs are, well, fixed. So they now have to spread those costs across their tiny volumes.
AMD's next ambition:
5% marketershare at 60% margins, followed by
2.5% marketershare at 65% margins, followed by
no marketershare and therefore no GPU R&D budget at all!

As for Intel, they are losing a lot on their GPU venture (no surprise there since the hired the best over-promise and under-deliver expert they could get), but they also have by far the highest costs. ARC A750 used almost twice the transistor of the similar performing (but whose performance is fast more consistent) Radeon 6600 XT. So eben of they wanted to (they don't), is hard to see them driving pieces down.

Last edited:
Soldato
So that's means they are happy with almost nt sales at all.
Fixed costs are, well, fixed. So they now have to spread those costs across their tiny volumes.
AMD's next ambition:
5% marketershare at 60% margins, followed by
2.5% marketershare at 65% margins, followed by
no marketershare and therefore no GPU R&D budget at all!

As for Intel, they are losing a lot on their GPU venture (no surprise there since the hired the best over-promise and under-deliver expert they could get), but they also have by far the highest costs. ARC A750 used almost twice the transistor of the similar performing (but whose performance is fast more consistent) Radeon 6600 XT. So eben of they wanted to (they don't), is hard to see them driving pieces down.

But,but margins because the stock market speculators can fixate on a useless figure!

A750 is now being reduced to $249:

That would be around £250ish in the UK.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People did defend AMD jacking up their prices with Zen3 to more per core than overpriced Intel CPUs. The argument because AMD was faster per core. But when Intel was faster per core,suddenly everyone thought Intel was overpriced. AMD tried to muck around with B450/X470 CPU compatibility and removed PCI-E 4.0 from them too. People defended this,but luckily there was enough of a backlash that AMD relented.

People also miss the platform segmentation they have done with Zen4. The B650,B650E,X670 and X670E all use the same Promontory 21 chipset. But B650 lacks PCI-E 5.0 on the main dGPU slot,etc but Intel can offer it on motherboards closer to £150,and considering that future AMD/Nvidia mainstream dGPUs are increasing likely to 4X and 8X data connectors,it will cause problems.
There is no reason to have a segmented B650 and B650E series. Then the fact AMD quietly has now made sure that entry level Zen4 motherboards start at $120/£120 with PCI-E 4.0 and no overclocking support. £120 would have gotten you a decent B550 with PCI-E 4.0 and overclocking support. So basically they have copied Intel.

They also removed CPU coolers on many SKUs,like Intel did.

Plus during the Athlon 64 era,they bifurcated the platfrom to Socket 754,Socket 939 and QuadFX and charged Intel level pricing for their top CPUs. Hence,I don't know why anyone was under any illusions AMD wouldn't pull the same moves as Nvidia or Intel if given a chance!

What's annoying is people were criticising Intel and Nvidia for such moves,but when AMD was doing them it was acceptable. I argued with many people over it,because I saw where it would go and we saw it in the past.

It's upto consumers to keep these companies real - that is one of the basic tenets of the so called free market.

Well said. My thoughts exactly. I have zero loyalty to any of them.

I actually did used to prefer AMD as underdogs and because of better price for performance. My first computer had an AMD CPU in it and I was exclusively AMD until once they got successful they jacked up the prices of the FX line. I skipped those and once Intel came out with Core 2 Duo I went with them and stayed Intel for like nearly 10 years.

Been back to AMD the last 3 years now with the 3600 and now 5900X. I plan on staying with my 5900X for quite some time to be honest. When the time comes though I will just go with whoever is offering best price for performance. Current pricing for AMD CPU's is silly imo. Hopefully they prices will be more sane when my upgrade time comes. The only thing AMD got going for me is longer platform support.

As for GPU's, both Nvidia and AMD's offerings are poor imo. Really hoping Intel does make it and we have some competition in the future. As if these guys happily go with their current strategy it will be bad for us all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Prices seem to have come down a lot already since October. Could be a better exchange rate though
Ironically enough, while new prices came down a bit in the UK two metrics had the best prices in October.

A certain high street vendor of used parts - most the lowest prices over the last year or so were in October.

Those price charts which some of the sites do. Computerbase's lowest was months ago:
v69F7da.png
In their case sometime in November.

Not aware of anyone tracking UK prices but GBP <> EUR has been pretty steady over that time, I think.

Soldato
I am sure the price of a fair few Graphics cards have just gone up too! (4090 range)
4090s are not really a problem and it looks like Nvidia is going to use same PCB for the 4090ti and Titan models.

The problem, speculated by a couple of vloggers is that Nvidia is sitting on $3.5 billion of unsold 4080 inventory, either, at the etailers, warehouses or, within the supply chain.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
4090s are not really a problem and it looks like Nvidia is going to use same PCB for the 4090ti and Titan models.

The problem, speculated by a couple of vloggers is that Nvidia is sitting on $3.5 billion of unsold 4080 inventory, either, at the etailers, warehouses or, within the supply chain.

Hope its true. That is a £799 card, not £1199.

Soldato

Even if they are sat on so many 4080's they will just do what they are doing with the 30 series and keep them running when the 50 series comes out and keep the same prices or if the market explodes for some reason again like mining or lockdowns again, then they will of course sell for more... Nvidia doesn't care as they have shown now and look at 30 series they cost more than msrp and when they came out 2 years ago.

OR Nvidia will rebadge them to something else 5070ti and is the inventory graphics cards or gpu dies ? See that's the question if gpu dies all they do is sell them later as 50 series and add a different VBIOS to state it's a 50 series. Not like they have not done that before too.

Back
Top Bottom