• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
The 6700xt is a decent buy. A nvidia 970 Asus strix was £300. The 6700xt at £380 with the extra 8GB of VRAM, inflation and feature set with FSR is IMO not excessive. The 4000 series so far is not a reasonable increase in my book. I will be inclined to skip more generations of gpus before buying cards so instead of buying every other generation I will buy every 3 generations if prices stay like this, hopefully a Nvidia 6060 will out perform or at least be equal to a Nvidia 4080 at half the price. Just like the 6700xt is similar to the raster performance of a 2080ti at less than half the price
I would disagree that it's a decent buy. I think that's more a reflection that you've acclimatised to the pricing. I got a 5700xt (almost 4yrs ago?) for £400ish.

4yrs on and the same price tier gets you 15fps improvement and a 2 yr old product. That's not a decent buy in my book.

Associate
I would disagree that it's a decent buy. I think that's more a reflection that you've acclimatised to the pricing. I got a 5700xt (almost 4yrs ago?) for £400ish.

4yrs on and the same price tier gets you 15fps improvement and a 2 yr old product. That's not a decent buy in my book.
According to this review the 6700xt gives a 30% performance increase with 15% less wattage usage, plus 4GB vram, and ultimate dx12 support. So I still don't think its that bad, https://www.techspot.com/review/2218-radeon-6700-xt-vs-5700-xt/

"A lofty goal, but as far as we can tell they've done it with the 6700 XT, delivering 30% more performance than the 5700 XT, while reducing power usage by roughly 15%. With the next generation of games, we expect the margin between the 5700 XT and 6700 XT to widen, so that'll be an interesting situation to monitor over the coming years.

In terms of performance, the 6700 XT is a necessary step forward from the 5700 XT to keep up with Nvidia's fierce competition and equally aggressive RTX lineup this generation"

The 6700xt is likely more expensive to make as it has a larger die than the 5700xt

Last edited:
Soldato
Prices won't change until they start running out of cash reserves and need to liquidate some stock to free up money to pay their bills, AMD's cash reserves are actually increasing so don't expect them to lower prices anytime soon, Nvidia on the other hand are burning through their savings pretty *quickly from what i gather.

*2019 they had $7bn. 2022 they had $21bn. 2023 so far they're down to $13bn.

Soldato
You could alternatively get a 3070 (as advertised today by nvidia geforce uk) for a discounted £519.99. Oh wait that's like what it was two years ago..

You have to love the Deal weeks from Nvidia... :cry:

M6rZcOd.jpg

They were selling 3080s for $420..... "in other regions (yes right!)" :rolleyes:

High to believe that ever happened.... The joke was in the price

858Gskn.gif

^...Nvidia's customers waiting for these so called "deals"...

This is their new model to sell gpus now they will do same with the 40 series when the 50 series comes out, selling over 2 year old hardware at the same msrp and above msrp and calling them deals. Welcome to a new way to sell GPUs, AMD is doing the same too. This is why you are not seeing midrange cards and they want to kill off the midrange and when they do release them they won't be good value and not a large increase in performance from previous midrange cards, they have shown that in the laptop midrange market too..

Last edited:
Soldato
You have to love the Deal weeks from Nvidia... :cry:

M6rZcOd.jpg

They were selling 3080s for $420..... "in other regions (yes right!)" :rolleyes:

High to believe that ever happened.... The joke was in the price

858Gskn.gif

^...Nvidia's customers waiting for these so called "deals"...

This is their new model to sell gpus now they will do same with the 40 series when the 50 series comes out, selling over 2 year old hardware at the same msrp and above msrp and calling them deals. Welcome to a new way to sell GPUs, AMD is doing the same too. This is why you are not seeing midrange cards and they want to kill off the midrange and when they do release them they won't be good value and not a large increase in performance from previous midrange cards, they have shown that in the laptop midrange market too..

Thier strategy and price fixing are clear - they want a grand or they don't want to sell you a card, and they want that every two years, and they'll try and sell you on that by flat out lying about performance and using garbage like DLSS - fake frames = fake performance.

Soldato
The angle is simple really. Nvidia are now charging silly moneys for GPU's even for him, so he has found himself in a situation where his 3090 has plenty of vram but a lack of grunt to go with. To make things worse no DLSS 3 either :p:D

My 3090s in NVLINK/SLI are enough for what I need them for work, nothing so far is available to replace them.. DLSS3 to me is a scam and not real world hardware performance increase, it's fake frames made with software, I'm paying for hardware not software gimmicks to fool the average Joe that knows nothing about hardware.

Also I'm looking at getting a pair of Nvidia RTX A6000's ADA threw work if they will pay for one I will pay for the other to build another workstation. So far not looking promising as the in house software we use needs the Devs to make it work without NVLINK as these A6000's ADA don't have NVLINK and the software we use is setup to use NVLINK and even when it sees two cards not linked will not pool VRAM or CUDA cores and sees them as two separate cards so basically 48GB VRAM projects only can be used so no better than 2x 3090s that do the same 48GB VRAM in NVLINK. The devs are working with 2x4090s as we speak and have been for a few months now and they are finding it difficult to get the applications to work correctly and use both cards, they can send workloads to each card but that limits us to 24GB VRAM to each card projects again and the idea is to be able to run larger projects than 48GB and even larger ones that's why if they can make it work it will open up A6000 ADA to 2 x 48GB =96GB projects then and what we really want, 48GB is causing us problems for certain projects now and we are trying to future proof and even contacting Nvidia about this issue and asking if the new generation will support NVLINK they don't reply as they have clearly moved NVLINK to their higher end gear and we need PCIE cards not their gpu server gear that supports NVLINK. It's a huge mess really and Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot with what they are doing.

Regarding gaming I have no interest in updating for that as most games available now I have zero interest in and the ones I do use are fine on 3090..

My gripe with this generation is they lack NVLINK and making a mess for many people that use them for professional work. If I end up with two A6000's ADA and the Dev team can make them work on our applications then the 3090s will go up for sale and I will grab a single 4090/ti and stick that in the HTPC and make it the main gaming system and sell the 3090 in that too, but for now it has to stay as it's a spare 3090 I may need if one goes wrong in the main rig and need to RMA it.

Nvidia really created a mess for us that use them for work and the A6000 Ampere is £4700 each and ADA is $6800...at current prices if you can find them in stock.. May have to wait till next generation of cards if they stick NVLINK back in or just call it a day and stick to the 3090s or grab a pair of A6000 Ampere versions as they have 48GB and NVLINK .. but a bit of a side grade for more VRAM but no performance increase but maybe that's the next update path as nothing else is available that does what we need. :rolleyes:

Anyways we will see so far it seems we are stuck on 3090s and not much we can do as the applications we use also use cuda and we can't even go AMD with their workstation class cards either..

Gaming is the least thing I worry about when updating gpus and only one game that I even care about is MSFS and even that is not really showing worthwhile increases on 4090 without DLSS3, I would never use DLSS3 on MSFS and MSFS still needs faster CPUS too and even CPUS are not worth updating right now from what I have, with the costs of a decent motherboard and DDR5 RAM.. The whole pc market is a mess and maybe time to step away for a few years and see what happens again, the costs and improvements for the money is not there anymore, its stagnated horribly and basically any increase you get now you are paying more for it than before. Inflation in the pc market this gen is a doubling of prices on many of the components, just have to look at the comedy that is 4080 and 4070ti and even the 7000 series gpus from AMD, the 7900 series is really 7800 and priced like 7900/6900 series.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My 3090s in NVLINK/SLI are enough for what I need them for work, nothing so far is available to replace them.. DLSS3 to me is a scam and not real world hardware performance increase, it's fake frames made with software, I'm paying for hardware not software gimmicks to fool the average Joe that knows nothing about hardware.

Also I'm looking at getting a pair of Nvidia RTX A6000's ADA threw work if they will pay for one I will pay for the other to build another workstation. So far not looking promising as the in house software we use needs the Devs to make it work without NVLINK as these A6000's ADA don't have NVLINK and the software we use is setup to use NVLINK and even when it sees two cards not linked will not pool VRAM or CUDA cores and sees them as two separate cards so basically 48GB VRAM projects only can be used so no better than 2x 3090s that do the same 48GB VRAM in NVLINK. The devs are working with 2x4090s as we speak and have been for a few months now and they are finding it difficult to get the applications to work correctly and use both cards, they can send workloads to each card but that limits us to 24GB VRAM to each card projects again and the idea is to be able to run larger projects than 48GB and even larger ones that's why if they can make it work it will open up A6000 ADA to 2 x 48GB =96GB projects then and what we really want, 48GB is causing us problems for certain projects now and we are trying to future proof and even contacting Nvidia about this issue and asking if the new generation will support NVLINK they don't reply as they have clearly moved NVLINK to their higher end gear and we need PCIE cards not their gpu server gear that supports NVLINK. It's a huge mess really and Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot with what they are doing.

Regarding gaming I have no interest in updating for that as most games available now I have zero interest in and the ones I do use are fine on 3090..

My gripe with this generation is they lack NVLINK and making a mess for many people that use them for professional work. If I end up with two A6000's ADA and the Dev team can make them work on our applications then the 3090s will go up for sale and I will grab a single 4090/ti and stick that in the HTPC and make it the main gaming system and sell the 3090 in that too, but for now it has to stay as it's a spare 3090 I may need if one goes wrong in the main rig and need to RMA it.

Nvidia really created a mess for us that use them for work and the A6000 Ampere is £4700 each and ADA is $6800...at current prices if you can find them in stock.. May have to wait till next generation of cards if they stick NVLINK back in or just call it a day and stick to the 3090s or grab a pair of A6000 Ampere versions as they have 48GB and NVLINK .. but a bit of a side grade for more VRAM but no performance increase but maybe that's the next update path as nothing else is available that does what we need. :rolleyes:

Anyways we will see so far it seems we are stuck on 3090s and not much we can do as the applications we use also use cuda and we can't even go AMD with their workstation class cards either..

Gaming is the least thing I worry about when updating gpus and only one game that I even care about is MSFS and even that is not really showing worthwhile increases on 4090 without DLSS3, I would never use DLSS3 on MSFS and MSFS still needs faster CPUS too and even CPUS are not worth updating right now from what I have, with the costs of a decent motherboard and DDR5 RAM.. The whole pc market is a mess and maybe time to step away for a few years and see what happens again, the costs and improvements for the money is not there anymore, its stagnated horribly and basically any increase you get now you are paying more for it than before. Inflation in the pc market this gen is a doubling of prices on many of the components, just have to look at the comedy that is 4080 and 4070ti and even the 7000 series gpus from AMD, the 7900 series is really 7800 and priced like 7900/6900 series.. :rolleyes:

Holy wall of text batman!

Yea man. Prices are just looney. If these companies want me to upgrade next gen they better sort pricing out or I may just go used on the cheap again if I find a deal that suits me.

I may not even bother at all. It just means I won't go back to 4K when they make a QD-OLED monitor for that resolution and stay with my current Alienware QD-OLED which only does 3440x1440. Will be forced to optimise settings and use DLSS performance instead of quality on a few games a year for a while at worst. But at least my current huge Steam library works just fine and so will anything else until unreal engine 5 games come out :D

Permabanned

Maybe you should add your post in a spoiler for TNA in your sig.He seems to need reminding every month or 2.:cry:

Soldato
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but 1440p is still ahead of the curve and is basically well within the top 20%, 1080p is by far still the mainstream. According to Steam, 768p users are roughly twice than 4k :cry:

Don't worry it will soon only cost 3K to buy a GPU that will adequately power a 4K monitor!

:cry:

Soldato
Easiest way to spot the dinosaur-era 1440p users ;)

5120x1440p 49" here :p less than a million pixels less than 4k.. so basically 4k. Standard 1440p 16:9 doesn't cut for me.

32:9.. Next planned update the new half 8K 57" ultrawides at 7680×2160 so basically 2 x 4k.. Just got to wait for nvidia to get its rear in gear with new displayport 2.1 spec on their 50xx cards. Otherwise a pointless update currently and by then these montiors would have come down in price too.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/144...-yet-will-bust-your-back-and-your-wallet.html ;)

Was on 3440x1440p over 10 years ago when they first came out and always been the first adopter of new wide screen resolutions as that's what I favour for work and gaming on MSFS. 16:9 is dead to me and only on TV and wish they would go back and make 21:9 TVs again as Philips had once.

Soldato
Don't worry it will soon only cost 3K to buy a GPU that will adequately power a 4K monitor!

:cry:

BUT BUT... 8K with DLSS3++++++ coming soon to help with 8K screens and native 4K :cry:.. Meeh GPU market needs ignoring to pass the message on to them, because reality is we will hit £3k+ soon for cards that can do near 8K with the nvidia trickery. Lets be honest we saw that with Ampere cards 3090s were over £3k even at retailers and forget the scalpers. The scam is not over yet and they will find reasons to do just that and make 80 class £2k soon enough and 90 class £3k+. If people keep buying then well this is where it will land.

Back
Top Bottom