• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Dont worry guys, prices are falling, we just need to be patient. Just wait till 2025, youll see
Not so much waiting for me as i can take it or leave it, if the value isn't there i simply won't buy a GPU and if they want to price me and i assume many other people out of the market then fair enough.

Personally i think it's a bit of a shame as a lot of peoples livings depends on a vibrant PC market but if a company want to make it the reserve of the well-healed then fair enough, it's their loss not mine as I've got loads of other things that are better value to spend my money on.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
To be fair, this thread was started when 2nd hand 5700XTs went for over £1000 & it was near-impossible to buy almost any model of graphics card.
As much as the current situation still sucks fairly heavily, things are much, much better than they were then.

Yes I agree 100%. When this thread started I had to give up gaming because I couldn't afford a GPU.

Now the prices have fallen through the floor (see below). I'm a very happy gamer right now with my 6600. I can't understand why so many people moan about the prices of the high end like the 4080 etc. None of my possessions in life have ever been close to high end. Yet I feel happy and contented. I'm 100% convinced that low end gamers have much more fun than high end gamers.

Radeon 6600 £259.99
Radeon 6650 XT £308.99
Radeon 6700 XT £374.98

Last edited:
Soldato
3 years ago the price you've listed for the 6600 was the average selling price of AMD cards, now all it gets you is a low end card.

That's not prices falling through the floor, that's a doubling in the average selling price.

Last edited:
Soldato
3 years ago the price you've listed for the 6600 was the average selling price of AMD cards, now all it gets you is a low end card.

I don't like this reasoning.

Low end is a totally arbitrary label. A 6600 is a strong 1080p card that can sometimes do 1440p. That's a tangible user experience that makes sense to refer to.

High end these days means running high resolutions and RT. A completely self imposed luxury tax that has absolutely zero gating on playing the same game without those.

A strong 1080p card 3 years ago cost you more than it does today. When the 6600 launched that was not the case because of horrific pricing.

But todays prices are not particularly bad to get a specific gaming experience as opposed to buying an arbitrary position on the product stack.

Soldato
Yes I agree 100%. When this thread started I had to give up gaming because I couldn't afford a GPU.

Now the prices have fallen through the floor (see below). I'm a very happy gamer right now with my 6600. I can't understand why so many people moan about the prices of the high end like the 4080 etc. None of my possessions in life have ever been close to high end. Yet I feel happy and contented. I'm 100% convinced that low end gamers have much more fun than high end gamers.

Radeon 6600 £259.99
Radeon 6650 XT £308.99
Radeon 6700 XT £374.98
I paid £650 for a 3080 at launch, mined on it for a 15 months during the boom then sold last march for £950 so to me the prices of cards like the 4080 are a joke compared to the value that was available last gen.

Associate
There was also a phase where selling your old card paid for a lot of the new card, it was all about the timing. In some cases for example people were selling their 5700XT and getting a 3060Ti with some change, this is a fantastic upgrade where you got fresh warranty and a few pints.

I was trying to justify this to myself that selling my 3080fe for £500 would then mean a 4080fe has cost me £700

Soldato
I don't like this reasoning.

Low end is a totally arbitrary label. A 6600 is a strong 1080p card that can sometimes do 1440p. That's a tangible user experience that makes sense to refer to.
It's not me who defines what low-end is it's the people who sell the cards, how many cards are above or bellow a 6600? I count at most two under it and at least 9 above it so by any definition it would be consider low end.
High end these days means running high resolutions and RT. A completely self imposed luxury tax that has absolutely zero gating on playing the same game without those.

A strong 1080p card 3 years ago cost you more than it does today. When the 6600 launched that was not the case because of horrific pricing.

But todays prices are not particularly bad to get a specific gaming experience as opposed to buying an arbitrary position on the product stack.
No, no, no. High or low isn't defined by how something performs, it's defined by how many models are above or bellow it.

Defining things based on the performance of past products just because they're better than what came before is what got us into this mess in the first place, if a company can't offer me a better product for a similar price then there's no reason to buy it, I'll just keep what I've got until it stops working.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I was trying to justify this to myself that selling my 3080fe for £500 would then mean a 4080fe has cost me £700

The problem is Ada is so much more of a markup its currently 700 (after selling) whereas even with mining and scalpers the Ampere cards were only a couple of hundred after. This shows you the gap in greed, although the second hand market has dropped somewhat too exacerbating the predicament.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Defining things based on the performance of past products just because they're better than what came before is what got us into this mess in the first place, if a company can't offer me a better product for a similar price then there's no reason to buy it, I'll just keep what I've got until it stops working.

Agree which is why FG and DLSS3 is not helping people when the fps is being massaged your not really getting 3 or 4x the performance at all.

Soldato
It's not me who defines what low-end is it's the people who sell the cards, how many cards are above or bellow a 6600? I count at most two under it and at least 9 above it so by any definition it would be consider low end.

No, no, no. High or low isn't defined by how something performs, it's defined by how many models are above or bellow it.

Everything you're saying emphasises why using the label low end is incredibly arbitrary. All they have to do is produce 15 varieties of 20-50W gpus and all of a sudden the 6600 will be a high tier part!

At least when I said high end I specified a tangible measurement of resolution and RT being a defining feature of it today. All you're going with is finger counting the number of products above or below.

Looking at performance and price is the ONLY way any comparison makes sense or you set yourself up to be mocked by whatever changes to the product stack the manufacturer feels like.

Last edited:
Associate
Agree which is why FG and DLSS3 is not helping people when the fps is being massaged your not really getting 3 or 4x the performance at all.
I think Jarred Walton on Tom's Hardware gave a good definition of frame generation: "You might see almost twice the FPS but it feels more like 10-20% smoother"

Soldato
Everything you're saying emphasises why using the label low end is incredibly arbitrary. All they have to do is produce 15 varieties of 20-50W gpus and all of a sudden the 6600 will be a high tier part!

At least when I said high end I specified a tangible measurement of resolution and RT being a defining feature of it today. All you're going with is finger counting the number of products above or below.

Looking at performance and price is the ONLY way any comparison makes sense or you set yourself up to be mocked by whatever changes to the product stack the manufacturer feels like.
Yes but they don't so it's not. :confused:

If you're using a "tangible measurement of resolution and RT being a defining feature of it today" then tell me how many desktop Radeon GPUs of today are lower and higher than it, simple there's at most two under it and at least 9 above because that's how the manufacture has defined the "tangible measurement of resolution and RT being a defining feature of it today" when they gave it a model number.

Soldato
The 3080 has held its value because this gens new cards at that price will be no faster, the 4080 wont hold its value and is already selling for £200 less than new on the used market and by the time next gen rolls around I wouldn't be supprised if its selling for no more than 3080s are now.

With the way things are looking they'll still have 6000 and 3000 series cards stuck on shelves in 2024...

:cry:

Associate
With the way things are looking they'll still have 6000 and 3000 series cards stuck on shelves in 2024...

:cry:
Nodes are giving diminishing returns TBH so straight improvements are going to be relatively marginal.
Chiplets are a way around this, especially if they can find ways of splitting the workload among different specialized chips, however that means higher power consumption and increased area as you're basically doing a SOC.
This means that even in the best case yeld savings are going to be eaten by the extra area needed, unless last gen (7nm) node prices drops significantly so that cache and interconnect becomes dirt cheap.

Soldato
Yes but they don't so it's not. :confused:

If you're using a "tangible measurement of resolution and RT being a defining feature of it today" then tell me how many desktop Radeon GPUs of today are lower and higher than it, simple there's at most two under it and at least 9 above because that's how the manufacture has defined the "tangible measurement of resolution and RT being a defining feature of it today" when they gave it a model number.

The model number doesn't mean spit as evidenced by the regular complaining and moaning that X model number used to have Y characteristics.

If you stand by your decision to use the term "low end card" as being low in the product stack and unrelated to actual performance then we're back to why I didn't like this reasoning:

You're comparing a historical price to current product stack positioning. Not performance, you've made it very clear that low end card just means product stack position.

Why care what the product stack position is! The only comparison which makes any sense is the price and the performance.

Price for product stack position is an insane metric.

Back
Top Bottom