• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
The 6600 [is] a low-end card: It has a tiny die size with a slim memory bus and and small memory buffer, has a low-tdp requiring inexpensive cooling, and is the smallest of the three mainstream AMD GPU dies in its generation.

The 6600 [is] a great GPU: providing an extremely cost effective frame-per-dollar, and providing a level of gaming performance that is well above the any threshold for 'average joe' gaming expectations (which can't be said for the 6500!).

These two statements are not in conflict. Does this need any further explanation, people?

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 6600 [is] a low-end card: It has a tiny die size with a slim memory bus and and small memory buffer, has a low-tdp requiring inexpensive cooling, and is the smallest of the three mainstream AMD GPU dies in its generation.

The 6600 [is] a great GPU: providing an extremely cost effective frame-per-dollar, and proving a level of gaming peformance that is well above the any threshold for 'average joe' gaming expectations (which can't be said for the 6500!).

These two statements are not in conflict. Does this need any further explanation, people?
it can do nearly 200 fps at 1080 in mw2 with the right settings. anyone on a budget and plays cod thats a great card. for not much money.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think there's anything worth arguing over. Everyone wants a good deal.

The matter was as I saw it, undue weight on implied performance (label, stack position) rather than actual performance.
Agree with you. Other guy just seems to want to argue with you for some reason, but then anyone that starts to use phrases like 'butt hurt' probably deserves to go straight on anyone's ignore list anyway.

Soldato
With my mind set of £250 or less is a good price performance place to be..... I'm a cheapskate mindset.

With the price going down a bit, Arc 750 looking decent at £250 ish those recent drivers seem to have helped.

I'm spending this morning convincing myself this is what I should do with my Vega 64..... Even though I can't remember how many weeks it is since I turned the gaming PC on !
While I am aware that if nobody buys Intel this round they may not be around for the next round...

... Are you sure A750 is a wise choice?

I know prices are still all bad and for that budget it seems to be A750, RX6600 (non XT) or 3050 but I would get the 6600 for that budget. Yes, sometimes A750 beats the 6600XT or even the 6650XT but often enough it still is between the 3050 and the 3060:
4yiVNLS.png
In Intel's much vaunted RT performance still had the A750 behind the 6650XT:
hMris9K.png
Although I guess game selection might matter there, in Cyberpunk 2077 with RT Intel is way ahead of AMD, and in Metro Exodus the A750 is way ahead of even the 3060 Ti.
CB in that re-test of ARC (article is from December) they ignored the DX9 performance they covered in their original review. Also no 720P benches that time, but in the original review they showed that Intel's driver has huge overheads.

Like I said someone has to buy and test Intel's GPUs - they are just not for me but if you end up buying them: good on you!

Last edited:
Associate
Going down here

Associate
6600 is low end. It was a gimpy card. Utterly crap in gaming perf. Trailed behind RX 5000 series and was only useful as a mining card
Where is the middle ground? Its all relative, if you have the latest & shiniest flagship card, the 6600 would appear to be low end compared to your monster of a GPU.It definately is ranked as a mid-range GPU as it still sits in the middle of the charts in a sea of GPUs benchmarked.Its between a GTX 1080 & its TI counterpart performance-wise which still holds up pretty well in 2023 as long as its used for 1080p.You're not buying it for 4k but you can still dip your toes in 1440p with it.The masses have chosen the 1650, which is the most popular card according to the Steam survey and it might not be fair to call it low end as there are plenty more lower end GPUS below it like the best selling GT 710.

Last edited:
Soldato
the 6600 would appear to be low end compared to your monster of a GPU.It definately is ranked as a mid-range GPU as it still sits in the middle of the charts in a sea of GPUs benchmarked.Its between a GTX 1080 & its TI counterpart performance-wise which still holds
The 6600 beats a Titan X as well so that makes the 6600 enthusiast tier by your logic

Last edited:
Soldato
The 6600 beats a Titan X as well so that makes the 6600 enthusiast tier by your logic
Well no, that's pretty much the opposite of what he's saying, which is that it doesn't matter what "tier" a GPU was when it came out, but only where it sits now in terms of overall performance. A 6600 is only low-end if you're only considering current products still being sold. However, if you're instead looking at, say, all DX12-capable graphics cards, then it's clearly not in the lower reaches of that list. Old cards don't just cease to exist after all, and there are tons of people still using Maxwell and Pascal, or Polaris and Vega. You could have course throw all of those in the "low-end" category with the 6600, but then you have a 1080 Ti and an RX 560 sharing a category as if they're remotely similar. Thankfully, Tom's Hardware already maintain a decent enough GPU tier list. You'll notice the 6600 sitting roughly in the middle of it. Which is also where the Titan Xp would be, were Titans on there.

chart97f4z.png

Ultimately, people are talking about different things. A 6600 is low-end in AMD's current product stack, but it's not low-end in the grand scheme of useful GPUs capable of at least running modern titles and providing some sort of playable experience if you make enough visual sacrifices. Although the GTX 780 needs booting off that chart, given Kepler can't even launch most newer DX12 games.

Last edited:
Associate
The 6600 is basically a successor to the good old RX 580. Decent 1080p performance at a now acceptable price.
Now, if the Navi 32 rumors are true I would pull another RX 590 if I was AMD: Take Navi 21 and 22, shrink it to 6nm and pump the clocks for a 10% improvement.

Not ideal but if they are willing to accept lower margins a decent solution.

Associate
So on price drops ...

There are now a few models of 4080 (zotac trinity, couple of PNY cards) available here in Aus at under the 1000 pound mark now, cheapest I've seen is ~930 (about 1010 when you swap 10% GST for 20% VAT). Which means here they start at the same price as the 7900XTX now.

Is this just a *hint* of some price competition entering the market?

Soldato
Where is the middle ground? Its all relative, if you have the latest & shiniest flagship card, the 6600 would appear to be low end compared to your monster of a GPU.It definately is ranked as a mid-range GPU as it still sits in the middle of the charts in a sea of GPUs benchmarked.Its between a GTX 1080 & its TI counterpart performance-wise which still holds up pretty well in 2023 as long as its used for 1080p.You're not buying it for 4k but you can still dip your toes in 1440p with it.The masses have chosen the 1650, which is the most popular card according to the Steam survey and it might not be fair to call it low end as there are plenty more lower end GPUS below it like the best selling GT 710.
If you take GPUs going all the back to 2000s then 6600 will be top end.

You should really only compare it to its peers and the gen before ie Rtx 30 RX 6000 and Rtx 20 and RX 5000. It doesn’t even match up with things like 1080ti.

The fact it rubs shoulders with RX 5500, RX 5600XT, RTX 3050 and RX6500xt and every other sku of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD produced in the last 2 years beat it - means it is a low end product. It is not bottom of the stack but it is there near the bottom

That’s pretty low end to me. And if you want to argue 1050 or 1030 is absolute low end and 6600 is head and should above them then that’s a valid argument but then again I see them all as e-waste. Lol

But I guess it is buyer perspective.

Last edited:
Soldato
So on price drops ...

There are now a few models of 4080 (zotac trinity, couple of PNY cards) available here in Aus at under the 1000 pound mark now, cheapest I've seen is ~930 (about 1010 when you swap 10% GST for 20% VAT). Which means here they start at the same price as the 7900XTX now.

Probably and I'd expect Nvidia particularly to drop price even further in the coming year. We know from their latest financial report that the value of their "Inventories" (I assume that's stock sitting on shelves) went from $2,605 billion at the end of January 2022 to $5,159 billion at the end of the same period in 2023 so they're sitting on a hell of a lot of stock in terms of value and we also know from the same financial report that their "Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities" went from $21,208 billion down to $13,296 in the same period.

At some point they'll have to turn those "Inventories" into "Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities" just to pay their bills.

Last edited:
Associate
If you take GPUs going all the back to 2000s then 6600 will be top end.

You should really only compare it to its peers and the gen before ie Rtx 30 RX 6000 and Rtx 20 and RX 5000. It doesn’t even match up with things like 1080ti.

That’s pretty low end to me. And if you want to argue 1050 or 1030 is absolute low end and 6600 is head and should above them then that’s a valid argument but then again I see them all as e-waste. Lol

But I guess it is buyer perspective.
IMHO the right way to compare is is:
1) How does it perform against anything that can be found within a $50 price difference?
2) Does it provide acceptable performance at the resolution it's aimed for (1080p)?

Nr 1 is somewhat objective as it's relative to your local prices
Nr 2 is a little bit more subjective as it can range between 30 and 120fps depending on the person...

Soldato
IMHO the right way to compare is is:
1) How does it perform against anything that can be found within a $50 price difference?
2) Does it provide acceptable performance at the resolution it's aimed for (1080p)?

Nr 1 is somewhat objective as it's relative to your local prices
Nr 2 is a little bit more subjective as it can range between 30 and 120fps depending on the person...
That will establish its relative perf to its competitors but doesn’t answer if it is low end or not.

I mean definition of low end is very subjective.

1660/1660super/1660ti were entry gaming GPUs and considered low end. I don’t know if the same people argue that 6600 isn’t low end just cos the 6600 MSRP is much higher than those 1660s. But in terms of relative performance to their generational peers, that’s where 6600 is - similar to where 1660 was.

6600 at current used price (upto £200) is decent value proposition. I just never see it as a £300 release price card. It should be started at £240 and prices now after 2 years should be at £180-£200 in shops with used price at max £150…

Last edited:
Soldato
So on price drops ...

I think its more of a hint that it was over priced to begin with and no one is buying.

Soldato
My current graphics card is a £2080ti. Bought for around £1100 in July 2019… so that’s almost 4 years of use and equivalent to £300 a year. It will get repurposed to my sons pc as it is still a serviceable card.

If I go with my current plan of a 4090, that’s going to be £700 more, but I am unlikely to get a screen resolution more than my current ultrawide, so looking at it being another 4-5 year purchase. On those grounds, and the simple fact most of my gaming is on a pc, I think it can be justified.

Not that I like paying that much, but the performance/cost does seem worth it compared to a 4080…

Your money so you do as you see fit, but spending £1800 on just a graphics card, is mad in the grand scheme of things.

Try to rationalise the cost if you want to, but spending £1800 on a graphics card is just so much money when the economic situation is just geting worse and worse.

Associate
That will establish its relative perf to its competitors but doesn’t answer if it is low end or not.

I mean definition of low end is very subjective.

1660/1660super/1660ti were entry gaming GPUs and considered low end. I don’t know if the same people argue that 6600 isn’t low end just cos the 6600 MSRP is much higher than those 1660s. But in terms of relative performance to their generational peers, that’s where 6600 is - similar to where 1660 was.

6600 at current used price (upto £200) is decent value proposition. I just never see it as a £300 release price card. It should be started at £240 and prices now after 2 years should be at £180-£200 in shops with used price at max £150…
One way to look at it is the resolution the marketing aims it at release:

Enthusiast: 4k
High end: 1440p
Mainstream/entry gaming: 1080p

Back
Top Bottom