• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

OcUK Staff
Just because it was well over priced before doesn't make the current "reduced" price a good buy. That's how they get you ;)

We are trying to bring prices down far more pro actively than competitors, a mixture of me buying extremely aggressively and the stronger pound assisting, were also making sod all. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
We are trying to bring prices down far more pro actively than competitors, a mixture of me buying extremely aggressively and the stronger pound assisting, were also making sod all. :)
I've no doubt you're working to offer a good deal, "they" was referring to manufacturers. They need to realise the crypto margins are no longer realistic. Higher volume of sales is better for everyone :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've no doubt you're working to offer a good deal, "they" was referring to manufacturers. They need to realise the crypto margins are no longer realistic. Higher volume of sales is better for everyone :)

Yep. Drop it to £749 and I will buy one. In my opinion that is the right price for that card. Actually I really think £699 is the right price, but I would be willing to push up to £749.

I don't even know why though, I don't even need it for anything apart from just having newer tech in my PC. I honestly think by the time we get UE5 titles coming out regularly we will be on 5000 series which will then mean 4080 performance will be in 5060Ti/5070 cards for cheaper anyway :)

Soldato
Yep. Drop it to £749 and I will buy one. In my opinion that is the right price for that card. Actually I really think £699 is the right price, but I would be willing to push up to £749.

I don't even know why though, I don't even need it for anything apart from just having newer tech in my PC. I honestly think by the time we get UE5 titles coming out regularly we will be on 5000 series which will then mean 4080 performance will be in 5060Ti/5070 cards for cheaper anyway :)
Then why buy one? We all know UE5 will wreck whatever hardware is out right now and that also includes CPUs.

It's a terrible time to upgrade by any account.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Then why buy one? We all know UE5 will wreck whatever hardware is out right now and that also includes CPUs.

It's a terrible time to upgrade by any account.

If you read my post again you will find the answer :)

Who doesn't like new shiny tech? At a certain price it becomes worth having depending on the card. Like for example if I could sell my card and add £200 on top I would probably do it. But any more than that and it would not be worth it for me as I don't think having the new and shiny card would give me more joy than spending the money elsewhere or even just seeing it sit in my bank.

At a certain point it goes from feeling joy to feeling like being mugged. Everyones tolerance is different :D

Last edited:
Soldato

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's always a "terrible" time to upgrade. There are always new games and new hardware around the corner.

True to an extent. But there is more to it than that imo. Like for example I had my Haswell 4770K for nearly 7 years as the gains to be had from upgrading for so tiny. My current CPU which is better in every way and was a monster on release is not aging nowhere near as well and won't last as long. Not to mention the Ryzen 3600 did not even last me 2 years.

There are tons of examples I can give where upgrading at a certain time was objectively worse if you was actually trying to time it. Anither quick one of the top of my head is buying a 3090 Ti for 2K.

Soldato

I guess it's a matter of expectations.

I expect a generational uplift of %30 at a given price point. If a manufacturer can do better than that, I'm impressed.

The $700 3080 10gb is my reference point of a good deal last gen. The 4080 is a ~40% improvement over that, so I would consider spending a bit more than the 3080's $700 price point for that jump. I think $800 would be a good deal for that performance this gen.

$1200 feels like Nvidia is totally trolling us though. That uplift is not even worth consideration at that price point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The trouble is, big price drops, means the whole stack has to drop in tandem. If the 4080 was £800, the 4070Ti would have to be £600 and the 4070 nearer £400. I agree that this is where they should be , however neither Nvidia nor AMD show any signs of doing this as they are still releasing new cards with RRP's that fit them into the current pricing stack.

The 4060ti is looking likely to be priced between £400 and £450 (or MSRP $449). That would have to drop immediately to more like $299 if there were official drops.

It also looks like they are trying game bundles to push sales (ie the new Diablo 4 and AMD's recent Last of Us free games) before they do official big price drops.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The trouble is, big price drops, means the whole stack has to drop in tandem. If the 4080 was £800, the 4070Ti would have to be £600 and the 4070 nearer £400. I agree that this is where they should be , however neither Nvidia nor AMD show any signs of doing this as they are still releasing new cards with RRP's that fit them into the current pricing stack.

The 4060ti is looking likely to be priced between £400 and £450 (or MSRP $449). That would have to drop immediately to more like $299 if there were official drops.

It also looks like they are trying game bundles to push sales (ie the new Diablo 4 and AMD's recent Last of Us free games) before they do official big price drops.

Yep. That's why I show no signs of upgrading until next gen, where price for performance improvement should actually make it worth it. Even more importantly there will be actual games that make it worth upgrading for me.

Soldato
If the 5080 rrp's at £999 i will do the same as this gen, wait until no one buys it, prices drop and hopefully get one at sub £800 or less. A 80 class card imo should be nowhere near the 1k mark :cry:.

Back
Top Bottom