• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

I think Nvidia’s refresh was just down to poor gaming sales in general and not like people were rushing out to buy AMD instead which clearly hasn’t been the case.

If anything it was the release of cards like the 7900XTX/7900XT which caused an uptick in 4080 sales at the time.
At this rate I’ll be keeping my 7800xt (actually a 7700xt) until I can get double the performance in future for £500. Sad reality.

Last edited:
AMD are barely any better than Nvidia, you get half to an extra tier of raster while getting a tier to 2 tiers worse RT.

Then it comes down to a bit more VRAM for worse upscaling so it’s not like AMD is offering anything substantial better.

That's what I said, you missed the value of keeping money in your pocket, for example, the money saved going 79XTX over a 4080 got me an upgrade in CPU from 5800X to 58003DX, a 2Tb SSD for the same outlay as the 4080.
When it comes to the market share breakdown, AMD was the one to gain +2 points with its share rising to 19% (17% last quarter) which mainly clawed away NVIDIA's share which remains at a dominant position of 80% (82% last quarter).
While NV are still way way out in front, taking market share off of a Goliath is no easy feat.

Clearly other NV users are choosing AMD over NV this gen for hardware that 'better' suits their needs too.

AMD are barely any better than Nvidia, you get half to an extra tier of raster while getting a tier to 2 tiers worse RT.

Then it comes down to a bit more VRAM for worse upscaling so it’s not like AMD is offering anything substantial better.

Even then that is only in like 2 games, cod and some other title, every other raster title, it's neck in neck, win some, lose some. Nvidia are usually quite a bit ahead in indie titles too which people conveniently ignore, does helldivers 2 still run like **** on amd compared to nvidia?

I think Nvidia’s refresh was just down to poor gaming sales in general and not like people were rushing out to buy AMD instead which clearly hasn’t been the case.

If anything it was the release of cards like the 7900XTX/7900XT which caused an uptick in 4080 sales at the time.
Especially when 790xt/x launched with the vapour chamber issues, which were more common than the power cable issue of the 4090 :cry:

As it is, amd rdna 3 still barely making a dent in the steam survey results, meanwhile 40xx climbing quite nicely

Last edited:
Even then that is only in like 2 games, cod and some other title, every other raster title, it's neck in neck, win some, lose some. Nvidia are usually quite a bit ahead in indie titles too which people conveniently ignore, does helldivers 2 still run like **** on amd compared to nvidia?

Especially when 790xt/x launched with the vapour chamber issues, which were more common than the power cable issue of the 4090 :cry:

As it is, amd rdna 3 still barely making a dent in the steam survey results, meanwhile 40xx climbing quite nicely

RDNA3 is a failure then… but then what is ADA- surely also a failure in terms of price and performance.

RDNA3 is a failure then… but then what is ADA- surely also a failure in terms of price and performance.

Well ada has a lot more % and looks to be doing ok given ampere etc. stats so maybe to nvidia, not that much of a failure? No idea what nvidia would consider it to be...... Ada didn't suit my needs so for me it was a failure and the 4080s is a much better buy but alas, too late in the game now so also a failure for me and rdna 3 is more of a faliure for me. I think it is safe to say amd would classify rdna 3 as being a failure from their POV.

Last edited:
Well ada has a lot more % and looks to be doing ok given ampere etc. stats so maybe to nvidia, not that much of a failure? No idea what nvidia would consider it to be...... Ada didn't suit my needs so for me it was a failure and the 4080s is a much better buy but alas, too late in the game now so also a failure for me and rdna 3 is more of a faliure for me. I think it is safe to say amd would classify rdna 3 as being a failure from their POV.
Makes me think you and I will hold onto our cards for a bit longer then- maybe after Blackwell?

Makes me think you and I will hold onto our cards for a bit longer then- maybe after Blackwell?

Depends entirely on price to perf. If a 5080 offers 4090 level perf but better RT as rumoured for <£1100, I'll probably bite. Will also depend on the games too i.e. if they run like **** or run well on current gpu, last few titles, which I've been playing have ran brilliantly on the 3080 so not really felt the need for an upgrade.

Again, better because it made me ditch Nv with a saving of £250 to go AMD at the high end for the first time in over 10 years and now I don't have to get ****** off with the enforced vram overhead.

Sure, that's good, just as it was good for me to go with 4080 as it was the better option at the time.

Now, cheapest 7900xtx at ocuk is about 870 pounds, while cheapest 4080 goes for 960. That's about 10%. If you ignore the offer, at base price they're the same.
Performance wise, about equal in raster (3-4% quicker for 7900xtx doesn't actually matter), while in RT 4080 is about 25% faster - and that you do feel.
From a power consumption view, 4080 also does better.

So 7900xtx had the vRAM and is a bit cheaper (insignificant at that price point imho). 4080 is faster in RT, a bit less power hungry, better upscaling tech and frame gen. Even if you take into consideration only raster and nothing more, 10% or less in terms of pricing isn't really an "alternative". Is basically the same inflated price.

I just don't see how AMD is doing better in this case, now? For the vRAM?

Regarding the Steam Survey, please remember that 'everybody' is a streamer these days and they use NVENC because AMD dont compete at all with their encoder.. lets see what happens when AV1 becomes available on Twitch.. I've already read something about AMD's AV1 encoder looking a little bit better than Nvidia in quality although Intel ARC seems to come out on top with the encoder quality.

TSMc was shut down yesterday due to the Taiwan earthquake but last I read there was no significant damage reported so production should be running again soon if it is not already.

Though the unplanned shutdown would result in some wafers and other materials needing to be binned - sudden power cuts and even slight vibrations can damage wafers during production resulting in batches being ruined

So the Earthquake "should" not increase GPU prices as it's just a small outage with no damage to machinery reported

Last edited:
In the entry level and mainstream areas under £400 AMD and Intel has been much better for a while if doing a build yourself. I have helped out with builds for many people and it has been pretty much either a cheap RX6600 below £200 or an RX6700XT/RX6750XT for £300ish. The Intel Arc A750/A580 have had good offers on them and the Arc A310/A380 are good value AV1 decode cards too.

Even though the RX7700XT/RX6800 are RTX4060TI 8GB pricing,I would argue at around 20% to 30% faster performance over an RX6700XT/RTX3060TI they are not brilliant either. It's just the RTX4060TI 8GB is awful. It's worse than the GTX960 for me,because Nvidia at least redeemed the latter by replacing the 2GB variant with the 4GB almost at the same price.

AMD,OTH,seems absent from a lot of laptops and prebuilt desktops. With half of dGPU sales(or maybe more now) in laptops they really need to work on getting more of their dGPUs into such systems. I am a bit surprised with the RX6600 series being quite efficient why they couldn't get any leeway,especially as they make their own CPUs. In that sense the RTX4060 non-TI is doing very well in laptops. I hope with the new APUs this year and RDNA4 they can get into more prebuilt systems.

Last edited:
TSMc was shut down yesterday due to the Taiwan earthquake but last I read there was no significant damage reported so production should be running again soon if it is not already.

Though the unplanned shutdown would result in some wafers and other materials needing to be binned - sudden power cuts and even slight vibrations can damage wafers during production resulting in batches being ruined

So the Earthquake "should" not increase GPU prices as it's just a small outage with no damage to machinery reported

They should come build there Fabs here. No earthquakes or possibility of invasion. Well, not without nuces flying anyway, at which point none of any of this would matter :p

They should come build there Fabs here. No earthquakes or possibility of invasion. Well, not without nuces flying anyway, at which point none of any of this would matter :p
You don't "give away" means of productions / factory that easy (especially high tech).That's Western's modus operandi after which has a surprises Pikachu face when that turns against it! :p

Not to mention the costs to build. But... they do build in USA some fabs.

Reactions: TNA
You don't "give away" means of productions / factory that easy (especially high tech).That's Western's modus operandi after which has a surprises Pikachu face when that turns against it! :p

Not to mention the costs to build. But... they do build in USA some fabs.

I know man. Was not a serious post. If they were going to build their cutting edge Fabs. I doubt they would choose the UK anyway.

Back
Top Bottom