Who have you got on your ignore list?

LeperousDust said:
Sequoia, i'm going to add you out of sheer laziness, my scrolling finger has never done so much work. I also thought i'd quote it for effect like above :D

LeperousDust, and Vent. And Now Alchemy.

You have broken my scroll wheel :mad: :mad:

:p

EDIT: added you too Alchemy!

Last edited:
Sequoia said:
I didn't take it as an attack, G|mp, and I saw the smiley. But (and take this in a pleasant tone of voice, not an aggravated one) I meant the answer. If anyone finds my posts offensive, condescending, etc, add me to their Ignore list. I honestly won't be offended, even if they tell me they've done it.

In any large population of people, and this is one, there are going to be people that rub all of us the wrong way. It's nobody's fault, but it's going to happen. I come to this place for a chat and a bit of light relief. I don't need "tension", which is what happens when people spark off at each other. So if my posts wind someone up, I'm genuinely quite happy to get ignored.

As for posts about being wealthy, I've never said that. It can certainly be read into what I say, perhaps about watches, and I have said I'm not hard up, but I've never actually said that, and certainly never come anywhere close to quantifying it. But consider, there's a thread about watches, or computers, or whatever. Am I supposed to refrain from comment just because I can afford things that some others can't? I can't post about what I like in watches, or clothes, or cars, just because I can afford something someone else can't? I have to watch every word, every comment, just because I'm luckier .... not to mention older, than most people? Most members here are just starting out on life. I'm not. If I'm going to achieve something, odds are it's already happened and whatever wealth I'm going to get, I've got. Most members here are just getting going. It's pretty likely I'm better off than most members, isn't it? I've been doing it for longer (a LOT longer) than most.

So I've got a couple of nice watches. Just how wealthy do you have to be to achieve that, if you've had a lifetime to do it? What else do I say? What car do I drive? What type of house do I have? What, actually, do you know about me? Is your comment about "successful and wealthy" based on what I've actually said, or about what you've inferred?

Extend that a bit. A thread about business, perhaps. People ask for advice. Is it fair comment to give an opinion and perhaps advice, and to give the context of that advice? Yeah, I've said some things about my background though, to be honest, not very much. I've said it because I think it helps the person asking for advice to know if it's coming from a precocious teenager or someone with 40 years business experience. Maybe that sounds arrogant, but, if asking for advice, would you rather get it from someone giving opinion and theory, or someone talking from extensive personal experience. In my view, a degree of context is important to the person asking the question, though it could come across as boastful.

There's a lot I don't say, precisely because it would come across as showing off. If I don't say it, it can't be thrown back at me. But then, I get accused of being mysterious. I've even been accused of claiming to have a "secret agent lifestyle", which is utter drivel. I do have some success, I am known to some people in some circles and I do know some very well-known people. Some of those people are friends, some are just acquaintances or business contacts. But if I say "I know Bill Gates" (as an example), some are going to assume it's bullpoop, some are going to ask for details which I'm likely to not want to give, and it often leads to having to be very diplomatic about how I answer questions because I don't want to answer, and I don't want to give offence by not answering. It's a fine line to walk.

So, I try to say enough to put answers in some context, without saying enough to get accused of showing off. It doesn't always work, though.

As for "bang .... end thread", well, maybe. Posts on this board (and others) range from intelligent to daft. I'll admit to having very little tolerance for those I regard as fools. It comes from age and over-exposure to such over the years. I've never tried to "end thread", but I certainly have said things that amount to "this is my opinion and nothing that gets said here is going to change it". That's because such is the case. But I DON'T expect anybody else to not express their opinion, just because they think differently from me. I don't expect threads to end, but after it gets to a certain point, some threads just get circular, so I'll sometimes state my final view and, for me, that's that. There's no point in me going round and round. If that looks condescending, so be it.

See, even that last remark ("so be it") looks condescending, but it isn't. It's just the case. It means I've taken a thread as far as I can, or wish to, and whatever happens from then on will happen. So be it. It's not condescension but just a pragmatic acceptance that whatever will be, will be.

And, on rare occasions, there are times when I think "I know best", because I do. This is because, on those rare occasions, we end up with a discussion about something that most people know because they've read about it, and I know because I know the people involved, or was there. In those cases, I'm not speculating or expressing opinion, but expressing what I know to be the case. What I'm usually not prepared to do is explain why or how. After one such incident got a bit daft, I resolved not to get into that again, but it's reaching the point where there's less and less I can post on without it either seeming like showing off, or internet bullpoop ..... or condescension. In fact, it's reaching the point where it isn't worth posting at all, because I either get accused of showing off, or lying, or get quizzed about details I'm no prepared to go into. This is not a dig at you, G|mp, but a general reflection, and it's why my posting has decreased considerably recently.

But at the end of the day, there’s only so far I’m prepared to go, and when it comes to anything personal, it isn’t very far. Yes, I’m not hard up, but that’s about as far as I’ll take that. I don’t want to shove it down people’s throats (which is why I don’t give very much background), and in fact, I don’t think very much of it at all because a fair degree of it has come from being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. But nor do I feel I need to refrain from comment because I have made a few bucks and spent some of it. Everybody else can talk about their watch, but I can’t just because I may be better off than most? I don’t accept that, I’m afraid.

Quoted for the sake of quoting.

LeperousDust said:
Sequoia, i'm going to add you out of sheer laziness, my scrolling finger has never done so much work. I also thought i'd quote it for effect like above :D
Consider it as my contribution towards your overall health - I've exercised your scrolling finger for today, the rest is up to you. :D

Assuming, of course, that you can still read this. ;)

afraser2k said:
Nothing to do with having opinions challenged, just the way threads and "debates" often go in SC. Even Dolph had to put up a thread about a "crackdown" in SC that doesn't seem to have changed much. Dirtydog and Dolph aren't on my ignore list and we hardly ever agree on anything (as a couple of examples).

I don't have a chip on my shoulder against the English either.

He did indeed. Perhaps you should read it to discover why it was required :)

Can someone tell rG-tom that I will be buying a wireless router soon and if he wants, I will send him my old router (Netgear DG834) free of charge.

It would be a shame for him to miss my sparkling wit and remarkably intelligent posts because of faulty hardware :p

Stan :)

Bigstan said:
Can someone tell rG-tom that I will be buying a wireless router soon and if he wants, I will send him my old router (Netgear DG834) free of charge.

It would be a shame for him to miss my sparkling wit and remarkably intelligent posts because of faulty hardware :p

Stan :)

done.

ElRazur said:
For a sec i thought that was me :eek: But after reading it over and over again...erm i dont think so.

I think i know who you are on about. Let me shed more light, the person in question is -

A prolific poster here and in SC
Can be very rebellious
And thinks he knows it all...

Hmm i think i do know, who it is now.

If you're aiming that at me then just say VIRII :)

Raz said:
oh yeah, I did consider putting VIRII on the ignore list, but then I realised what a lovely and sweet guy he really is :) It would have been my loss if I had.

So just the two then.

Awww :) Bless you.

Good post Sequoia.
I know I get the same thoughts from people on here but if you've been there, done it and worn the t-shirt then why not say?
Most people on here are just starting their lives and I'm nearly at the end of it so if I can't impart a bit of wisdom without being knocked for it then its a sad day.
I know that some posters think of me as some know it all but if you look at the threads I start there are many questions that I ask and I'm not afraid to ask for fear of ridicule.

One of them is -
Where is this ignore list?

Sequoia said:

After reading that and having a guess at why this particular medium attracts you so much I would like to apologise if I have done any of what you described. I dont think I have but we have discussed some aspects, so who knows.

As far as comments about your status are concerned, you can understand that many of the people on here do not share your background so would be curious. I hope that no-one in any way begrudges you something that they themselves would desire, especially given that i expect you have worked hard for what you have and that you are not a lazy teen, rather a mature man.

Also, you may not be aware but there is a 'climate' amongst many people in the UK whereby issues of wealth are sometimes taboo - which may be why people have mistaken you for 'showing off'... personally I think the only reason you use overclockers is to escape from your environment slightly, so seriously doubt you would need to show off here.

dmpoole said:
That is awful.
I've just tried it with Neon (no offense you were the last poster) and I can't believe people do this.
There is wisdom that even comes from idiots.
Perhaps. But some people make such stupid statements that personally, I'm not interested in wading through it hoping for the odd gem.

Certain types of remark annoy me, and I don't come here to get annoyed. It ruins my forum experience. So, it's ignore them or stop coming.

Sequoia said:
Perhaps. But some people make such stupid statements that personally, I'm not interested in wading through it hoping for the odd gem.

Myself I love to watch sparks fly, so I am just as interested in the idiots as the sage posters...

in fact, some of my facourite posters are as likely to support me as attack me if discussing various topics.

The ones that just want to attack, attack, attack are pointless - but I still wouldn't ignore them...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom