Who have you got on your ignore list?

Bigstan said:
If my sig crashes your router then as LeperousDust says, it's time for a new router as there are quite a few people from the folding team with the same sig :)

Stan :)

Can someone quote this post so he sees it please?

damn beaten.

*shakes fist at haly :p

Penski because his posts irritate me and his sig does too, and gilly because i always thought he got away with trolling, im sure this isnt the case in real life guys and i dont mean any offence.

Last edited:
oh yeah, I did consider putting VIRII on the ignore list, but then I realised what a lovely and sweet guy he really is :) It would have been my loss if I had.

So just the two then.

Haly said:
*quotes for you*

I don't have anyone ignored, don't see the point. There's people that have opinions that make me cringe but I don't ignore them.

Thanks buddy :)

There are quite a few members whose posts make me cringe and some who make me a little angry but I can usually put up with that. The one person who flits in and out of my list, on the other hand; about 90% of his posts make me want to shake him and tell him to get a grip of himself and stop being so damn ignorant, I don't enjoy feeling like that so I choose to ignore him sometimes to help me cool down.

Stan :)

Rich_L said:
What's wrong with the former? The thread title pretty much describes what the thread is about, for example I didn't read your OP as I've only just read the last page before adding my input :)

Would he have known the title of the thread were I on ignore?

One day I'm going to read the FAQ.
Where is this Ignore list?
However, I'm not sad enough to ignore anybody.
The day I do that is the day I leave OCUK.

I'm surprised I've only made one list (up to now) and I don't even know who he is.

G|mp said:
You have taken it the wrong way its not every post you make, just some of
them i find a bit "holier than thou"

Some of your posts are great like the Watch thread for instance, your obviously
well educated and knowledgeable about many different things i just feel you look
down your nose at people from time to time

When you actually just have a chat with people your likeable but then bang
i read another thread with you giving your opinion and its like your sig should
read -------End Thread-------- because you know best

And ive lost count of the ammount of times ive read your posts about being
successful and considerably wealthy, which in my book is like someone posting
a picture of their computer with a well placed wallet slightly open to reveal a
wad of twentys

Ive just read that back and sorry if that sounds like an attack it wasent meant to be :)
I didn't take it as an attack, G|mp, and I saw the smiley. But (and take this in a pleasant tone of voice, not an aggravated one) I meant the answer. If anyone finds my posts offensive, condescending, etc, add me to their Ignore list. I honestly won't be offended, even if they tell me they've done it.

In any large population of people, and this is one, there are going to be people that rub all of us the wrong way. It's nobody's fault, but it's going to happen. I come to this place for a chat and a bit of light relief. I don't need "tension", which is what happens when people spark off at each other. So if my posts wind someone up, I'm genuinely quite happy to get ignored.

As for posts about being wealthy, I've never said that. It can certainly be read into what I say, perhaps about watches, and I have said I'm not hard up, but I've never actually said that, and certainly never come anywhere close to quantifying it. But consider, there's a thread about watches, or computers, or whatever. Am I supposed to refrain from comment just because I can afford things that some others can't? I can't post about what I like in watches, or clothes, or cars, just because I can afford something someone else can't? I have to watch every word, every comment, just because I'm luckier .... not to mention older, than most people? Most members here are just starting out on life. I'm not. If I'm going to achieve something, odds are it's already happened and whatever wealth I'm going to get, I've got. Most members here are just getting going. It's pretty likely I'm better off than most members, isn't it? I've been doing it for longer (a LOT longer) than most.

So I've got a couple of nice watches. Just how wealthy do you have to be to achieve that, if you've had a lifetime to do it? What else do I say? What car do I drive? What type of house do I have? What, actually, do you know about me? Is your comment about "successful and wealthy" based on what I've actually said, or about what you've inferred?

Extend that a bit. A thread about business, perhaps. People ask for advice. Is it fair comment to give an opinion and perhaps advice, and to give the context of that advice? Yeah, I've said some things about my background though, to be honest, not very much. I've said it because I think it helps the person asking for advice to know if it's coming from a precocious teenager or someone with 40 years business experience. Maybe that sounds arrogant, but, if asking for advice, would you rather get it from someone giving opinion and theory, or someone talking from extensive personal experience. In my view, a degree of context is important to the person asking the question, though it could come across as boastful.

There's a lot I don't say, precisely because it would come across as showing off. If I don't say it, it can't be thrown back at me. But then, I get accused of being mysterious. I've even been accused of claiming to have a "secret agent lifestyle", which is utter drivel. I do have some success, I am known to some people in some circles and I do know some very well-known people. Some of those people are friends, some are just acquaintances or business contacts. But if I say "I know Bill Gates" (as an example), some are going to assume it's bullpoop, some are going to ask for details which I'm likely to not want to give, and it often leads to having to be very diplomatic about how I answer questions because I don't want to answer, and I don't want to give offence by not answering. It's a fine line to walk.

So, I try to say enough to put answers in some context, without saying enough to get accused of showing off. It doesn't always work, though.

As for "bang .... end thread", well, maybe. Posts on this board (and others) range from intelligent to daft. I'll admit to having very little tolerance for those I regard as fools. It comes from age and over-exposure to such over the years. I've never tried to "end thread", but I certainly have said things that amount to "this is my opinion and nothing that gets said here is going to change it". That's because such is the case. But I DON'T expect anybody else to not express their opinion, just because they think differently from me. I don't expect threads to end, but after it gets to a certain point, some threads just get circular, so I'll sometimes state my final view and, for me, that's that. There's no point in me going round and round. If that looks condescending, so be it.

See, even that last remark ("so be it") looks condescending, but it isn't. It's just the case. It means I've taken a thread as far as I can, or wish to, and whatever happens from then on will happen. So be it. It's not condescension but just a pragmatic acceptance that whatever will be, will be.

And, on rare occasions, there are times when I think "I know best", because I do. This is because, on those rare occasions, we end up with a discussion about something that most people know because they've read about it, and I know because I know the people involved, or was there. In those cases, I'm not speculating or expressing opinion, but expressing what I know to be the case. What I'm usually not prepared to do is explain why or how. After one such incident got a bit daft, I resolved not to get into that again, but it's reaching the point where there's less and less I can post on without it either seeming like showing off, or internet bullpoop ..... or condescension. In fact, it's reaching the point where it isn't worth posting at all, because I either get accused of showing off, or lying, or get quizzed about details I'm no prepared to go into. This is not a dig at you, G|mp, but a general reflection, and it's why my posting has decreased considerably recently.

But at the end of the day, there’s only so far I’m prepared to go, and when it comes to anything personal, it isn’t very far. Yes, I’m not hard up, but that’s about as far as I’ll take that. I don’t want to shove it down people’s throats (which is why I don’t give very much background), and in fact, I don’t think very much of it at all because a fair degree of it has come from being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. But nor do I feel I need to refrain from comment because I have made a few bucks and spent some of it. Everybody else can talk about their watch, but I can’t just because I may be better off than most? I don’t accept that, I’m afraid.

Sequoia said:
I didn't take it as an attack, G|mp, and I saw the smiley. But (and take this in a pleasant tone of voice, not an aggravated one) I meant the answer. If anyone finds my posts offensive, condescending, etc, add me to their Ignore list. I honestly won't be offended, even if they tell me they've done it.

In any large population of people, and this is one, there are going to be people that rub all of us the wrong way. It's nobody's fault, but it's going to happen. I come to this place for a chat and a bit of light relief. I don't need "tension", which is what happens when people spark off at each other. So if my posts wind someone up, I'm genuinely quite happy to get ignored.

As for posts about being wealthy, I've never said that. It can certainly be read into what I say, perhaps about watches, and I have said I'm not hard up, but I've never actually said that, and certainly never come anywhere close to quantifying it. But consider, there's a thread about watches, or computers, or whatever. Am I supposed to refrain from comment just because I can afford things that some others can't? I can't post about what I like in watches, or clothes, or cars, just because I can afford something someone else can't? I have to watch every word, every comment, just because I'm luckier .... not to mention older, than most people? Most members here are just starting out on life. I'm not. If I'm going to achieve something, odds are it's already happened and whatever wealth I'm going to get, I've got. Most members here are just getting going. It's pretty likely I'm better off than most members, isn't it? I've been doing it for longer (a LOT longer) than most.

So I've got a couple of nice watches. Just how wealthy do you have to be to achieve that, if you've had a lifetime to do it? What else do I say? What car do I drive? What type of house do I have? What, actually, do you know about me? Is your comment about "successful and wealthy" based on what I've actually said, or about what you've inferred?

Extend that a bit. A thread about business, perhaps. People ask for advice. Is it fair comment to give an opinion and perhaps advice, and to give the context of that advice? Yeah, I've said some things about my background though, to be honest, not very much. I've said it because I think it helps the person asking for advice to know if it's coming from a precocious teenager or someone with 40 years business experience. Maybe that sounds arrogant, but, if asking for advice, would you rather get it from someone giving opinion and theory, or someone talking from extensive personal experience. In my view, a degree of context is important to the person asking the question, though it could come across as boastful.

There's a lot I don't say, precisely because it would come across as showing off. If I don't say it, it can't be thrown back at me. But then, I get accused of being mysterious. I've even been accused of claiming to have a "secret agent lifestyle", which is utter drivel. I do have some success, I am known to some people in some circles and I do know some very well-known people. Some of those people are friends, some are just acquaintances or business contacts. But if I say "I know Bill Gates" (as an example), some are going to assume it's bullpoop, some are going to ask for details which I'm likely to not want to give, and it often leads to having to be very diplomatic about how I answer questions because I don't want to answer, and I don't want to give offence by not answering. It's a fine line to walk.

So, I try to say enough to put answers in some context, without saying enough to get accused of showing off. It doesn't always work, though.

As for "bang .... end thread", well, maybe. Posts on this board (and others) range from intelligent to daft. I'll admit to having very little tolerance for those I regard as fools. It comes from age and over-exposure to such over the years. I've never tried to "end thread", but I certainly have said things that amount to "this is my opinion and nothing that gets said here is going to change it". That's because such is the case. But I DON'T expect anybody else to not express their opinion, just because they think differently from me. I don't expect threads to end, but after it gets to a certain point, some threads just get circular, so I'll sometimes state my final view and, for me, that's that. There's no point in me going round and round. If that looks condescending, so be it.

See, even that last remark ("so be it") looks condescending, but it isn't. It's just the case. It means I've taken a thread as far as I can, or wish to, and whatever happens from then on will happen. So be it. It's not condescension but just a pragmatic acceptance that whatever will be, will be.

And, on rare occasions, there are times when I think "I know best", because I do. This is because, on those rare occasions, we end up with a discussion about something that most people know because they've read about it, and I know because I know the people involved, or was there. In those cases, I'm not speculating or expressing opinion, but expressing what I know to be the case. What I'm usually not prepared to do is explain why or how. After one such incident got a bit daft, I resolved not to get into that again, but it's reaching the point where there's less and less I can post on without it either seeming like showing off, or internet bullpoop ..... or condescension. In fact, it's reaching the point where it isn't worth posting at all, because I either get accused of showing off, or lying, or get quizzed about details I'm no prepared to go into. This is not a dig at you, G|mp, but a general reflection, and it's why my posting has decreased considerably recently.

But at the end of the day, there’s only so far I’m prepared to go, and when it comes to anything personal, it isn’t very far. Yes, I’m not hard up, but that’s about as far as I’ll take that. I don’t want to shove it down people’s throats (which is why I don’t give very much background), and in fact, I don’t think very much of it at all because a fair degree of it has come from being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. But nor do I feel I need to refrain from comment because I have made a few bucks and spent some of it. Everybody else can talk about their watch, but I can’t just because I may be better off than most? I don’t accept that, I’m afraid.
logest reply ever

Sequoia said:

Sequoia, i'm going to add you out of sheer laziness, my scrolling finger has never done so much work. I also thought i'd quote it for effect like above :D

Back
Top Bottom