Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Associate
Some do, especially if you drive it hard. It's party caused by the close proximity of the reservoir to the engine.

It's a fairly easy fix though by simply relocating the reservoir with the aid of some longer hoses. Alternatively you can mount a small oil type cooler and run the fluid through that.

It's not something i've suffered from at the moment.

They can do if you drive it very hard (trackdays or very aggressive road driving), the fluid degrades over time due the heat and this can have an adverse effect on the PAS pump.

The reservoir gets very hot due to how and where it is mounted to the engine block....you can buy a kit to relocate the reservoir from Jamsport (which I have and its frankly a bit crap and overpriced for what you get, but it does the job I suppose) or add a cooler and expansion tank like Overlag has done.

Good work, we're all over it *high five*

Soldato
Do they have issues with overheating PAS fluid?

Only really on track or when driven REALLY hard on the road. Its annoying because all the brackets are in place for the standard ford PAS cooler to be fitted, but they never did... So i did it myself. The expansion tank idea came about from the Fiesta racing cars. They are not allowed to mod much, and that is the most they can do. This gives more space for the fluid to expand into, plus you can "overfill" the standard reservoir, because you have the extra space in the expansion tank, this stops all chance of air being sucked in by the pump. As standard, anywhere below max on the reservoir and the pump will pick up air causing a whiny pump, anywhere above max, and the fluid will expand and spray all over your engine bay. Its a lose lose situation if you are like me and love track days, but also likes an almost show quality engine bay (clean).

I would relocate the tank, however as Will says, the "kit" is overpriced and a bit rubbish. Plus i like the look of my bay as it is.

Soldato
If you don't want to go stupidly low, then the B12 kit is the best out there.

The ride improves over standard, it doesn't feel as firm as the standard springs/shocks but the car handles so much better.

I like being low and the kit doesn't go low enough for me :(

Soldato
I had Bilstein B12s then changed to the smaller wheels...and it wasn't low enough to get away with how it looked :(

The H&R Monotubes I have now are made by Bilstein, with the same damper tech used on the B12 kit (which is a kit of B8 dampers + H&R manufacturerd springs on old kits, or Eibach on newer kits), and are awesome...just like the B12, but fully height adjustable front and rear. At £864 or so though they are not cheap!

Soldato
I ideally want to go low and slow. I like the ride of stock springs and shocks but it does feel a bit floaty which doesn't instil much confidence round corners.

I'm looking for a good deal to be honest, just waiting for someone to sell some second hand on SToC. Missed out on some AP's for a good price. A guy is selling some KW Variant ones for £400 but doesn't answer or reply by phone.

Soldato
those anthracite wheels look brilliant. you happy with the car?

Yeah I'm loving the car, it's just such a nice step up from the 106. I wasn't sure about the wheels at first, but they've definitely grown on me now! And as the centre caps are colour matched it may deter people from trying to pinch them!

Quick question for you guys, is your heated seats button "backwards"? Mine appears that the seats are off when the button is in, and on when the button is out.

Soldato
Dont buy the Mountune spec KW's most (if not all) leak within 12k/12months hence Mountune stopped selling them. Readie on STOC has gone through 3 sets i believe!

35mm lowering springs (25mm on our car cos its 10mm lower already) are "ok" but the standard dampers are a bit poo. Im waiting for them to fail before i replace them though. What you could do is buy Eibachs run on standard dampers for a while, then get the B8 dampers for your Eibachs. (B8 shocks + Eibach Springs = B12s)... Thats what im going to do.

My clutch release bearing is on the way out, so while the box is out im going to get a Diff fitted so all my funds is going on that :(

Soldato
Dont buy the Mountune spec KW's most (if not all) leak within 12k/12months hence Mountune stopped selling them. Readie on STOC has gone through 3 sets i believe!

35mm lowering springs (25mm on our car cos its 10mm lower already) are "ok" but the standard dampers are a bit poo. Im waiting for them to fail before i replace them though. What you could do is buy Eibachs run on standard dampers for a while, then get the B8 dampers for your Eibachs. (B8 shocks + Eibach Springs = B12s)... Thats what im going to do.

My clutch release bearing is on the way out, so while the box is out im going to get a Diff fitted so all my funds is going on that :(

I think it's someone called reed selling them! Will give it a miss then! :p

Yeah, i am still thinking about Eibachs. Had Eibachs on my Zetec before and they were nice to start with but then became quite harsh and bouncy but that's probably due to the cheaper shocks and bushes. The same mate who swears by Bilsteins has always said by Eibachs then save for the shocks for ultimate win. Hmmm i think i may go that route. My only problem with Eibachs, which is quite stupid, is that i'd always have that thought in the back of my head of, "damn, it's not low enough", i always had that same feeling with the Zetec.

One simple mod that i always loved on the old Zetec was the axle spacers. So subtle yet changes the stance on the rear. May do that again to the ST but i'm afraid i may screw my wheel bearings and toe in.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
anyone with a pre facelift spotted this?

244066_10150203383234601_624454600_7151655_5832398_o.jpg

:)

what has been seen...

Soldato
I think it's someone called reed selling them! Will give it a miss then! :p

Yeah, i am still thinking about Eibachs. Had Eibachs on my Zetec before and they were nice to start with but then became quite harsh and bouncy but that's probably due to the cheaper shocks and bushes. The same mate who swears by Bilsteins has always said by Eibachs then save for the shocks for ultimate win. Hmmm i think i may go that route. My only problem with Eibachs, which is quite stupid, is that i'd always have that thought in the back of my head of, "damn, it's not low enough", i always had that same feeling with the Zetec.

One simple mod that i always loved on the old Zetec was the axle spacers. So subtle yet changes the stance on the rear. May do that again to the ST but i'm afraid i may screw my wheel bearings and toe in.

Not sure if you are aware, but there are two variants of the Eibach spring. The normal version, which as Overlag says lowers by 25mm, but I believe Rude Racing do an extra low variant. That lowers by a true 35mm. :)

Back
Top Bottom