Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Soldato
Has anyone got any experience with Custom Production from Doncaster?

My Clio 200 (10 plate) died on the 22nd as I arrived at my brothers for Xmas, after a 200 mile drive, literally stopped 10 yards from his house. Sounds like the rods have gone...

So, man maths says....I can either replace the engine (and inevitably gearbox on one of these at some point), sell the car as is and buy something else or drop the Megane engine and R26 diffed gearbox in it and they'll all end up being the same cost(ish).

Custom Performance will do the work for about £4k with the box being an extra £750 on top of £3.25k on the basic engine package.

Engines are compression checked and inspected, new ancillary parts, downpipe to meet original exhaust and the loom modified to take the new engine.

Work will take 7-14 days and they will recover the car from near Derby, though I am now stuck 200 miles from Newcastle for now....

They're calling me on the 29th to discuss in more detail.

Well I went for it....

I have now got around 250bhp/torques through an R26 diff. New cup dampers with HKS springs with a small drop. Replaced the steering rack which had play in it for a good 2nd hand one.

It's totally transformed the car, I never liked it really, but now it's a decently quick hatch and handles like a dream.

Soldato
Well I went for it....

I have now got around 250bhp/torques through an R26 diff. New cup dampers with HKS springs with a small drop. Replaced the steering rack which had play in it for a good 2nd hand one.

It's totally transformed the car, I never liked it really, but now it's a decently quick hatch and handles like a dream.
Pics please ;)

Soldato
received-3108134732798156.jpg

received-668191284427895.jpg

received-901527833889527.jpg

Soldato
Looking lovely. Just washed mine and am posting to celebrate its first stone chip, just shy of 1 year old.
PXL-20210815-081323862.jpg

She's growing up so fast. Front of the bonnet! Can't be prevented. Seems these will show up on Yellow really badly
Have about 5 of these little stone chips now sadly on the front bonnet & 4 on the front windscreen that seems soft also :( I got a quote of £1899 + VAT to apply Xpel PPF for the bonnet only or £899 + VAT for just the front edge where most of the impacts are :rolleyes: think I will pass on that & just live with it :eek:

The entire car is around £4.5K in the best PPF. As it does not even guarantee complete protection it seems pointless to even bother with it (most of the obscene cost is labour time & profiteering - materials costs are minimal! I guess they figure if you have a nice car you want to give them £££ for nothing!).

Soldato
Back in a Renault Sport 197 after a 10 year hiatus from the series...

Previous cars, 172/200..

Picked this up for 2.2k... 109k + 11 months MOT, in my fav colour & purposely the cheapest in the country, no service history :D it's only a weekend toy for me, plans are get it in for a cambelt change soon as possible, I'm going to do a full paint correction also, oil looks fairly new so will hold on for a while, I absoloutely love it and they're as every bit as fun to drive as I remember.

20220423-130952.jpg

20220423-130942.jpg

20220423-130938.jpg

OcUK Staff
Back in a Renault Sport 197 after a 10 year hiatus from the series...

Previous cars, 172/200..

Picked this up for 2.2k... 109k + 11 months MOT, in my fav colour & purposely the cheapest in the country, no service history :D it's only a weekend toy for me, plans are get it in for a cambelt change soon as possible, I'm going to do a full paint correction also, oil looks fairly new so will hold on for a while, I absoloutely love it and they're as every bit as fun to drive as I remember.

20220423-130952.jpg

20220423-130942.jpg

20220423-130938.jpg

Bargain that, hope it looks after you and go on paint the wheels silver. :D

Associate
I still have a soft spot for an alien green Clio 200 I used to own with recaros, cup pack and cornering headlights.

One of the most fun cars I've ever driven down a country road.

Did let me down with needing a replacement gearbox though, I remember it being a common flaw at the time.

Always look at the classifieds at them, I think it would need to be liquid yellow if I ever bought another. (likely 197 F1)

Soldato
Think the recall is only certain cars (Trophy-R mainly) based on serial number. Its because some cars got a nasty split in the turbo oil hose which can & will cause a nasty engine fire as the oil can drip out in little amounts. The extreme heat in that area means it rapidly gets out of control :eek: Have a look at yours see if its leaking before driving any further is a good idea.

1: Look on the far left hand side of the engine bay facing the car from the bonnet side.
2: Look towards the back near the windscreen you will see the turbo (its got some yellowish metal shielding around it). Well under there about 1.5 ft away is a small metal braided hose perhaps just under 1 ft long (you cannot miss its the only small one in this area).

This is the hose in question if it leaks you will see small drops underneath the top of the engine will be dirty. If its clean yours is fine for now. If its dirty do not drive the car anymore in case it catches fire! Someone's MK4 caught fire recently & got written off!

Soldato
Think the recall is only certain cars (Trophy-R mainly) based on serial number. Its because some cars got a nasty split in the turbo oil hose which can & will cause a nasty engine fire as the oil can drip out in little amounts. The extreme heat in that area means it rapidly gets out of control :eek: Have a look at yours see if its leaking before driving any further is a good idea.

1: Look on the far left hand side of the engine bay facing the car from the bonnet side.
2: Look towards the back near the windscreen you will see the turbo (its got some yellowish metal shielding around it). Well under there about 1.5 ft away is a small metal braided hose perhaps just under 1 ft long (you cannot miss its the only small one in this area).

This is the hose in question if it leaks you will see small drops underneath the top of the engine will be dirty. If its clean yours is fine for now. If its dirty do not drive the car anymore in case it catches fire! Someone's MK4 caught fire recently & got written off!
Cheers, thanks for the info. Tbh I'll just book it in, best to be safe :)

Soldato
First issue today!

PXL-20220716-131158933.jpg

Came up when I started the car. Feels a bit different when driving and none of the central screen display comes on while this is present.

I assume this would be covered under the 5 year warranty?

Whatever it may be. Tried calling today but they were closed so I guess monday

Soldato
Not good might be the heat doing this though! Try the following (incase its just an ECU or sensor glitch). Cheaper than paying the dealer to hook up to their computer as they charge for this service!

1: With the car stationery & the engine bay cool disconnect the negative battery lead (be careful here or you get a nasty shock BTW).
2: Wait near the car for 30 mins approx as no alarm enabled so its fully unlocked.
3: Now carefully reconnect the negative battery lead & make sure you tighten it up properly.
4: Close the bonnet start the engine & the most important part is drive the car a few ft otherwise it will not reset the ECU if you do not start & move the car a bit in 1 direction to register the reset via the wheel sensors!

Now you have just reset the ECU so if the check light comes on & stays on then you have a genuine problem & or parts failure.

If the light stays off its just an ECU or sensor glitch & you cleared it without paying a Renault main dealer £95 +VAT or whatever they charge now to do this on their computer system which hooks up to the OBD port (under the onscreen display computer).

The ECU will now need to relearn your driving parameters & will initially feel way faster & smoother because of this!

Soldato
Not good might be the heat doing this though! Try the following (incase its just an ECU or sensor glitch). Cheaper than paying the dealer to hook up to their computer as they charge for this service!

1: With the car stationery & the engine bay cool disconnect the negative battery lead (be careful here or you get a nasty shock BTW).
2: Wait near the car for 30 mins approx as no alarm enabled so its fully unlocked.
3: Now carefully reconnect the negative battery lead & make sure you tighten it up properly.
4: Close the bonnet start the engine & the most important part is drive the car a few ft otherwise it will not reset the ECU if you do not start & move the car a bit in 1 direction to register the reset via the wheel sensors!

Now you have just reset the ECU so if the check light comes on & stays on then you have a genuine problem & or parts failure.

If the light stays off its just an ECU or sensor glitch & you cleared it without paying a Renault main dealer £95 +VAT or whatever they charge now to do this on their computer system which hooks up to the OBD port (under the onscreen display computer).

The ECU will now need to relearn your driving parameters & will initially feel way faster & smoother because of this!

Thanks for this reply I shall try it out in the morning and let you know how it goes!

I assume if there is a fault, it will be covered under the warranty? (I've not had a newish car before with such a warranty, so not really sure of its extents.)

It sucks that they charge to hook it up, but they did tell me that before when I first got the car and thought I had an issue.

They ended up not charging for some reason

Soldato
Thanks for this reply I shall try it out in the morning and let you know how it goes!

I assume if there is a fault, it will be covered under the warranty? (I've not had a newish car before with such a warranty, so not really sure of its extents.)

It sucks that they charge to hook it up, but they did tell me that before when I first got the car and thought I had an issue.

They ended up not charging for some reason
They will not charge if its a warranty covered item that failed (5 years or 100K miles as long as the rear window warranty sticker is intact!). I think most likely its a sensor or heat related issue and clearing the ECU will fix it! They will charge to diagnose but if its under warranty I think they waive the charge so would not worry about it that's part of the cost of doing business so not something you need to pay for as they could see the dash warning message. What you might need to clear up with them is if you should drive the car as they might use it as an excuse to say you caused more damage driving with the injectors like that though....!! Right now your car is in limp mode that's why the dash is not fully available. Still think its just a caching software glitch like the one I had which said steering failure, brake failure please stop (all went away after the ECU reset & 10K miles later no issues apart from needing 4 new tyres & brakes being worn 40% due to so many miles in 6 months!

When I took mine in for its first service was chatting to the guys while I waited for hours & they have only seen 1 RS MK4 in all of UK with a serious issue (engine needed replacing under warranty as the RS factory technician put some parts deep inside the engine on the wrong way around! cost Renault a lot to fix that one!). Most of the issues are very minor its a pretty reliable stable car overall (apart from DESS battery charging issues! which now outside UK they have an updated ECU firmware so a normal battery can be used instead but they are not doing in the UK for now on Trophy's...!).

Back
Top Bottom