Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Soldato
I put a deposit down on a Megane 275 Cup-S a month or so ago. Can't wait for delivery! (Currently scheduled for early June)

Dealer gave me £1200 for my 182 which to be honest, given that it needs belts and a power steering pump, I was more than happy with.

Got a healthy discount via the Friends and Family scheme (30%) which is what made the choice for me (I was considering quite a lot of different options...)

Went for Titanium grey with a few other extras like R-Link. Didn't spec the Ohlins as I drove two cars back to back and couldn't really tell the difference over B-Roads. Certainly not £2K worth anyway imo. Akrapovic was nice but again not worth £2.5K to me.

All in all, a very fun car with 275BHP and an LSD which will only cost me £5K over the first two years (at worst). Pretty good value I thought!

Soldato
Considering getting rid of my fiesta st and buying a 200 Clio. At the moment I'm not too fussed about specs however Recaro's are an absolute must, exactly what does the Cup pack bring? I'm likely going to modify the car for track use with aftermarket coil overs anyway so do I need a cup?

Associate
Considering getting rid of my fiesta st and buying a 200 Clio. At the moment I'm not too fussed about specs however Recaro's are an absolute must, exactly what does the Cup pack bring? I'm likely going to modify the car for track use with aftermarket coil overs anyway so do I need a cup?

Assuming your talking about the clio 3. The cup pack brings a quicker steering rack, it could imo do with a quicker rack still but its pretty good, and stiffer roll bars. There is a few other differences its worth taking the time to research. The full fat sport with cup pack gives best of both. If your planning aftermarket suspension then ignore the damper business, but the roll bars are still relevant. I also have my recaro's for sale :p

Soldato
Thanks Zuban, I think I'm going to try and definitely go for a Cup if that's the case.

Is there any obvious signs that the car I'm looking at is a genuine Cup from the factory? I've seen a few that are advertised as being Cup spec but from the photo's it's hard to tell?

Associate
Cups and non-cups are easy to identify by the side strips. If the side door strips are black, it's a pure cup, if they are colour coded they are non cup. However, they might have a cup pack like mine as it has the red brake calipers (FF with Cup Pack):

UjUPBJm.jpg
(Looks much better in lightroom and in IE!)

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Been looking at 200's myself to replace my diesel Leon FR but even ones without Recaro's seem to be priced quite high. Was hoping to do a straight swap (or close to it) but they are all £1.5-2k over budget.

Been looking at Megane R26's too but both times both dealers undervalued my car more than I felt was worth my time so missed out on both so hunt goes on.

Associate
CC I can live without, AC may be another story. Hopefully going to take a look this week since it's very local, assuming it doesn't sell first :eek:

Yeah, that is the proper cup model. it might not have A/C or CC though.

Someone has spec'd AC you can see it in the pictures. CC wasn't avaliable on the proper cup, you had to buy a "full fat" one.

Unless you really don't care about interior/creature comforts I would suggest looking for a "full fat" one which has had the cup pack spec'd.

The interior/equipment and suttle cosmetic differences are worth it IMO.

I've owned one from new and was a no brainer when deciding between the specs.

Associate
couple other things to look for on the clio 200's is that the full fat ( sport) has better dash materials, keyless entry, adjustable steering height, and air con as mentioned already. None of those are on the pure cup model.

full fat with cup gets all the bits, the keyless, steering adjust, aircon, plus the quicker steering, stiffer antiroll bars and stiffer damping/springs of the cup.

I found when looking at adverts that they were often advertised incorrectly, so a quick way to spot it is by looking at the brake callipers and rubbing strip.

Sport = silver brake callipers and colour coded rubbing strip
cup = red brake callipers and black plastic rubbing strip
Sport with cup pack (ff + cup) = red brake callipers and colour coded rubbing strip

There is about 34kg difference extra weight on the sport over the cup model. Which is mostly the aircon.

Watch out for difficult shifting into 3rd and 4th gear, as a number of cars have had issues with the synchro's, even at low mileage, many were replaced under warranty and the replacement gearbox's seem to be holding up fine. The one I bought had already had this done so worth trying to find out.

As above I went for the full fat with cup pack, the extra's were worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went and quickly viewed the car today, it's very nice indeed however I didn't test drive it and am returning on Friday for this.

Car is due for cambelt change and I've got the dealership to agree to do this in the sale price so am happy to take it at asking due to this. Unfortunately they didn't have the service history present with the vehicle when I went to view so I've put a refundable deposit on the car to hold it until they can locate the paperwork to prove it's history. All being good with the history I'll test drive it and get a feel for the gearbox to ensure it's all good and then hopefully it will be mine :D

Associate
Make sure they do the cambelt, waterpump AND dephaser. Make sure there is no third gear crunch/check if its had a replacement gearbox and listen to the exhaust. It might sound like its blowing as cold startup, that's normal, just listen for a blowing when up to temp, the flexi joints can go and the exhaust manifold is known to fail :). Welcome to the Renaultsport life ;)

On a separate note, I have ordered the cup spoiler! Canne wait! Next thing on the list will be a Scorpion Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust + Remap to removr the anticipated flat spot. Already done the cable tie mod to reduce the flat spot @ 2.5k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought an intake for the 1*2 via the group buy on cliosport.net. A bit of a risk, but early adopters of it seem to have had reasonably good results. I'm going to hold off fitting it for a while a see how others get on. I think there are 15 or so that have purchased it so it should give a reasonably good sample of how it performs.

Hopefully we'll start to see some results in this thread.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/new-sm-intakes-via-group-buy.792766/

Last edited:
Associate
That intake manifold looks interesting, runners are so short compared to the standard manifold!

I applied the rstuner map to my 200 a few days ago, haven't had much opportunity to test it fully, and don't really expect much difference anyway. But the terrible bogging and kangarooing when driving it from cold are now gone which is great!

Soldato
Bought an intake for the 1*2 via the group buy on cliosport.net. A bit of a risk, but early adopters of it seem to have had reasonably good results. I'm going to hold off fitting it for a while a see how others get on. I think there are 15 or so that have purchased it so it should give a reasonably good sample of how it performs.

Hopefully we'll start to see some results in this thread.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/new-sm-intakes-via-group-buy.792766/

Intresting.
you need to do some modification though

Back
Top Bottom