Who needs aircon when you can just open a window?

Roof down for me :cool:

The gearknob gets stupidly hot though and I do tend to drive to work with roof up and aircon on to be honest as it gets like a fridge and feels like your getting off a plane in a hot country when you get out of the car.

Roof down and feel the BUUUUUURRRRRNNNNN!! :D

I don't really need Aircon in the mx-5, but it was a godsend in the focus. Leather seats and summer weather do not go together!

Tip to any other MX-5 owners, if your still too hot with the roof down make sure you have the windblock down as well. Amazing how much airflow that little thing stops. ;)

i have 2003 golf 1.6. it has air con. I thought when using the air con, it uses fuel so it works? else is it powered from battery?

everytime I turn mine on to setting 2(out of 4) the rev counter goes up by one bar. I also can feel it on the clutch when its turned on. maybe its me?

anyway, I prefer to have the window down. only use air con if on long journeys or on motorways.

hittman said:
everytime I turn mine on to setting 2(out of 4) the rev counter goes up by one bar. I also can feel it on the clutch when its turned on. maybe its me?

Does this on my mate's Mk4 1.4 too.

hittman said:
i have 2003 golf 1.6. it has air con. I thought when using the air con, it uses fuel so it works? else is it powered from battery?

anyway, I prefer to have the window down. only use air con if on long journeys or on motorways.
pulley driven
hit the switch and an electric clutch pack engages it.

Oh, and for the "economy crew™", my best ever fuel consumption for a motorway journey was 40.1MPG, and I had the aircon on.

Difference = so marginal I can't tell.

To all you nay sayers and people who think it pwns their engine. Tip: Get a decent engine ;)

Aircon is for people who wear pink shirts. It's all about windows down and working on the lop-sidded tan:D. Next month I'll even have a sun roof \o/.

hittman said:
how is air con in a car powered?

off a belt much like an alternator.

When it is activated a clutch mechanism connects the aircon pulley to the compressor mechanism. Also the ECU will up the idle speed to stop the engine from stalling.

Simon said:
off a belt much like an alternator.

When it is activated a clutch mechanism connects the aircon pulley to the compressor mechanism. Also the ECU will up the idle speed to stop the engine from stalling.

ok thanks. good to know. happened to me once. my car stalled when the air con button was already on and i started it up, the car stalled. on re-start it was ok.

Back
Top Bottom