Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
Is a mk 7.5 worth an extra 3k or so?

The 7 speed and digital dash look much better than the mk 7 but it's a toss up between a decent spec 15/16 plate for 20k or 23/24k for a 17 plate mk 7.5

Soldato
I'm led to believe there isn't a huge difference between them but if you want Apple carplay or Android auto support them it's maybe worth contemplating spending the extra as it's a monumental task to retrofit it to a mk7 model.

I have the regular mk7 fwiw. Overall I'd buy the car you think is in the best condition/price and has the spec you want rather than worrying too much about mk7 Vs mk7.5 issue.

Caporegime
Considering px'ing my 2009 1.4 TSI for a Mk7.5 GTI.

The one I'm looking at is an 18 plate with 8k miles, sun roof, 19" wheels, leather and is up for....£24,995 :D.

Seems an awful lot to spend on a Golf, but I really want it gaaaah.

Soldato
As above get a Golf R if you are spending that much.

That does sound a little pricey for a 18 plate Golf GTI, 18 plate GTI at a local Arnold Clark is up for 19k no leather but a local company will do a retrim with quality leather for 1.5k. Not looked at carwow etc but I wouldn’t be surprised if you could get an identical spec new one for around 25k

Soldato
At that price is be more inclined to see if there are any run out deals on new cars given the mk8 golf will be out in a few months time.

Though I guess if there's a new model and no new R/GTi versions for a good 6-12 months that may mean prices for the mk7 performance models remain pretty high for the time being.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Considering px'ing my 2009 1.4 TSI for a Mk7.5 GTI.

The one I'm looking at is an 18 plate with 8k miles, sun roof, 19" wheels, leather and is up for....£24,995 :D.

Seems an awful lot to spend on a Golf, but I really want it gaaaah.
It’d have to be a fully-loaded PP at that price. Or as others have said, why not just go for an R?

I’d take a Mk7 Clubsport personally.
Awfully tempted to upgrade my Mk7 1.4 but can’t really justify the £5k plus all the added insurance, tax, etc.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So my Discover Navigation screen decided not to work this morning. It's still responsive and I can see that it's backlit, but it's just blank.
My Google-Fu tells me to reset it by holding the power knob for 10+ seconds. I hope this works, as I'll be quite miffed that a the unit fails after only 3 years!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So my Discover Navigation screen decided not to work this morning. It's still responsive and I can see that it's backlit, but it's just blank.
My Google-Fu tells me to reset it by holding the power knob for 10+ seconds. I hope this works, as I'll be quite miffed that a the unit fails after only 3 years!
...and it fixed itself. FU VW

Soldato
It’d have to be a fully-loaded PP at that price. Or as others have said, why not just go for an R?

I’d take a Mk7 Clubsport personally.
Awfully tempted to upgrade my Mk7 1.4 but can’t really justify the £5k plus all the added insurance, tax, etc.

Correct answer.

Associate

Had that once with mine, the reset worked.

Soldato
7.5 210ps make sense at £22,500? 23k miles but lots of
good options.

Art velours, sunroof, Dynaudio, keyless, standard digital dash of course.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see that many clubsports on AT.
A 210ps GTI 7.5?

I thought they were all 230 or 245 in 7.5 guise?

In fact even the 7.0 was 220ps in it's lowest spec wasn't it?

Soldato
Whilst nice and with a few options, (a likely very bias) part of me questions whether a non PP GTI (guessing it's not a PP) really offers good value when viewed next to a 2017 spec Octavia 245, which should be around £18k or so. The Cupra also offers a strong alternative.

Personally I think if you're going for the GTI, go for the one that gives you what the Octavia can't - ie a Clubsport.

For me the standard GTI sits in a very awkward market position these days. If you want the best Golf you buy the R. If you for some reason want FWD specifically, it has hot competition from the vRS and Cupra and the GTI looks expensive next to them. The Clubsport is a bit different and at least offers the potential of good residuals.

Soldato
I'm led to believe there isn't a huge difference between them but if you want Apple carplay or Android auto support them it's maybe worth contemplating spending the extra as it's a monumental task to retrofit it to a mk7 model.

I have the regular mk7 fwiw. Overall I'd buy the car you think is in the best condition/price and has the spec you want rather than worrying too much about mk7 Vs mk7.5 issue.

7.5 has better looks externally IMO, better gearbox, more power, the virtual dials thing...I believe anyway.

Probably worth the extra as it'll hold its value better?

Soldato
Whilst nice and with a few options, (a likely very bias) part of me questions whether a non PP GTI (guessing it's not a PP) really offers good value when viewed next to a 2017 spec Octavia 245, which should be around £18k or so. The Cupra also offers a strong alternative.

Personally I think if you're going for the GTI, go for the one that gives you what the Octavia can't - ie a Clubsport.

For me the standard GTI sits in a very awkward market position these days. If you want the best Golf you buy the R. If you for some reason want FWD specifically, it has hot competition from the vRS and Cupra and the GTI looks expensive next to them. The Clubsport is a bit different and at least offers the potential of good residuals.
This.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Clubsports appear to be ~£2k more for the same sort of age / mileage. Very few around with this spec.

Bahhh keep looking at Rs instead! Not healthy!
Is there a significant tax/insurance difference between GTIs and Rs?
Are you bothered about resale value? You kept your Mk6 long enough for it not to matter really.

Perhaps just get some test drives to see whether it’s something you want.

Back
Top Bottom