Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Caporegime
Is there a significant tax/insurance difference between GTIs and Rs?
Are you bothered about resale value? You kept your Mk6 long enough for it not to matter really.

Perhaps just get some test drives to see whether it’s something you want.
Unsure on the insurance question. Not bothered about resale value.

I've just put down a reservation fee on an 18 plate GTI Performance with 9k miles in Indium Grey.

Options are:

- Art velours
- Keyless
- Sunroof
- Dynaudio
- 19" Brescia wheels

No DCC by the looks of it but I had to draw the line somewhere. Picking it up next Saturday as they don't even have it in stock yet.

£3.5k for my TSI, £25k for the GTI.

I'd already test driven the non-performance GTI and was impressed.

Thanks for the advice anyway all.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Performance gets the VAQ diff and 245PS engine doesn't it? Those are at least two things I'd consider must haves at that sort of money

Caporegime
I've seen the odd Golf TCR for 29k. You weren't tempted by one of those instead?
At £30k someone will come along and tell me to get a Porsche :D. I've got to call it a day somewhere and since the wife will be driving it mostly, she'll be more than happy with 245PS.

It'll be an all-round family car - fun for me, kids to school, shopping trips, commuting for wife, etc.

The interior's much better than the R too in my opinion.

I'm a little worried about the ride on 19s but can always sell them for the standard ones.

Soldato
At £30k someone will come along and tell me to get a Porsche :D. I've got to call it a day somewhere and since the wife will be driving it mostly, she'll be more than happy with 245PS.

It'll be an all-round family car - fun for me, kids to school, shopping trips, commuting for wife, etc.

The interior's much better than the R too in my opinion.

I'm a little worried about the ride on 19s but can always sell them for the standard ones.

I know the feeling :) For what's it's worth, I would have chosen the GTI over the R too. I didn't feel like the R was that special and lost some of the charm that the GTI has. The much smaller boot in the R would have been difficult to live with too.

Man of Honour

Which is the absolute essence of the original GTI concept. What really does the R do better? Other than be even quicker for no real reason?

Sad to see your 1.4 TSI go though. The absolute embodiment of how wrong I can be :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Which is the absolute essence of the original GTI concept. What really does the R do better? Other than be even quicker for no real reason?

Sad to see your 1.4 TSI go though. The absolute embodiment of how wrong I can be :D

It has a party trick, launching and achieving an impressive 0-60. That’s it imo.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Unsure on the insurance question. Not bothered about resale value.

I've just put down a reservation fee on an 18 plate GTI Performance with 9k miles in Indium Grey.

Options are:

- Art velours
- Keyless
- Sunroof
- Dynaudio
- 19" Brescia wheels

No DCC by the looks of it but I had to draw the line somewhere. Picking it up next Saturday as they don't even have it in stock yet.

£3.5k for my TSI, £25k for the GTI.

I'd already test driven the non-performance GTI and was impressed.

Thanks for the advice anyway all.
Seems a pretty good spec. DCC is just more to break :p
DSG & ACC? Whilst the DSG is ridiculously jerky and dopey, it’s a good match with the ACC.

Man of Honour
All Golfs bar the S have ACC as standard and have done for years.

Which makes it all the more annoying that its a £300000000000000000000000000000 option nobody ever ticks on BMW and Mercedes.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The older 6 speed in my R was also not jerky or dopey at all, much better imho than the DQ500 in my RS3.

I liked the R over the GTi, drove both quite a lot (I had an R, step dad had a GTi), but everyone is different!

Associate
My R has just had its 1st MOT a few days ago. passed with no advisories. Still on its original tyres after 26K miles in ! Damn P Zeros are too hard wearing or I don’t drive hard enough.

Caporegime
Curiousity has got the better of me. What point were you trying to make at the time he bought it? :)
Potted summary is that I started a thread saying 'I've bought a new Golf', which was roughly akin to pushing your granny down the stairs at the time, and got absolutely railed for it.

I think the reason was that it was too much money (~£17k at the time I think). It's a 1.4 TSI GT 158PS auto.

Man of Honour
Curiousity has got the better of me. What point were you trying to make at the time he bought it? :)

That he was a complete idiot for buying a brand new Golf for £17k.

10 years later he has paid £1350 a year to drive around in a Golf he's owned from new, which is pretty awesome value really.

Soldato
That he was a complete idiot for buying a brand new Golf for £17k.

10 years later he has paid £1350 a year to drive around in a Golf he's owned from new, which is pretty awesome value really.

Can't argue with that! I really wish that I could drive a car for that long. I'd be much wealthier :p

Back
Top Bottom