Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
I have decided to go for another ST220 as the Mini just isn't working for us. I did say when my last ST220 was written off that I didn't miss the poor fuel economy but things have changed and our mileage has been slashed.

I just can't think of anything better for under £5k. I liked the look of the Mazda 6 MPS but that proved impractical as you can't put the rear seats down properly. Can't think of anything else with the size, comfort and power of the ST for the money.

Guess I'll have to wade through the rubbish to find a good one, took me a long time when I bought my last one :(

Soldato
I have decided to go for another ST220 as the Mini just isn't working for us. I did say when my last ST220 was written off that I didn't miss the poor fuel economy but things have changed and our mileage has been slashed.

I just can't think of anything better for under £5k. I liked the look of the Mazda 6 MPS but that proved impractical as you can't put the rear seats down properly. Can't think of anything else with the size, comfort and power of the ST for the money.

Guess I'll have to wade through the rubbish to find a good one, took me a long time when I bought my last one :(

Saab 9-5 Aero. More power and better economy than the ST. Your 5K will allow for a very good 4K car with a grand left over for a complete suspension refresh, 3" exhaust and a cheeky remap to 300bhp.

Soldato
Inferior in every other way though. Not sure on the economy either.

My long term average (ie brim to brim) is just over 30mpg, which is somewhat higher than the figures I see here for the ST220. And that is for an auto as well, manuals are a couple of mpg better again.

The only way it is properly inferior is lacking the sound and feel of the v6.

Soldato
It would also look like ass.

In what way does a discrete 9-5 look like ass :confused:

And the build quality and the chassis dynamics and the reliability :p

Nothing wrong with the build quality. In the 4 odd years of 9-5 ownership I haven't had to spend any time chasing rattles, as my cars haven't had any.

Not sure what you mean about reliability. First car cost me £950 and had 3 normal services plus replacement front disks and pads during 3 years. Second car hasn't required any work in the first year of ownership either. Granted the auto boxes have issues with the solenoid pack, and the DIs do go but as they are less than £200 and take 5 minutes to swap that really isn't an issue.

Unlike an ST there are plenty of estates and there is the option of the smooth shifting auto.

Associate
hmm my traction control light decided to come on way home last night (was driving in a straight line in slowish traffic at the time), stayed on till I switched ignition off/on then went out again but after another 10 miles or so come back on. ABS light didn't come on so doubt its a wheel speed sensor? anything else to check can check myself ? I have a fault code reader but didn't pick anything up.

Back
Top Bottom