Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
How often do you guys change sparks on your ST220? Servicing time in November/December, and I'm going to replace the set. I've done 30k/3yr in it on the existing plugs, and I've no idea how long they were in before hand. I used to change plugs every 2 years, anyone else have a set mentality? Doesn't appear to be any mention in the servicing sheets as to recommendations.

Soldato
Another quick parts query since I'm not hope until later and I'm going to ECP first!

100k service advises replacing the "front auxiliary drive belt" listed as LTS 21 567 5 in the servicing schedule. Is the "front" the small separate water pump belt that the V6 has, or is it the big serpentine jobby?

(Yes, I'm really hoping it's just the little water pump one!).

Cheers.

Soldato
water belt is the one to the right of the engine. Really small belt.

Edit: sorry just read your post properly. It will mean the aux belt which is the big belt (left of the engine) what drives the alternator/steering pump etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, that's the debate I need to have with myself - if I'm going to be having the belt changed, do I do the tensioner, idler and crankshaft pulley at the same time. Decided earlier in the thread to put it off, but if the belt is going to have to come off anyways...

EDIT: Just checked my old quote, forgot it was £300 in parts. Just the belt it is then!

Soldato
Downside to the ST220 is how useless Google is for info on the Duratec 3.0 V6 engine. Can find plenty of american cars with the engine in but that doesn't really help with searching for the right parts in the UK.

Mine needs changing aswell. I will just ring ford and get the parts though.

Already spoke to ECP about the parts but they cannot get them for the ST220, only the belt.

Edit: don't think it should be £300, some people are quoting they got parts and labour done at Ford for £300.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Even if they are £300 in parts, does it matter? It isn't going to need doing again soon and is it not worth replacing it all properly in case something that you don't fails a bit further down the line?

I need to do mine sometime too. Need to get a list of exactly what parts are needed though, is it just belt, tensioner, and idler? I wouldn't have thought the crank pulley needs doing.

As an aside, if anyone's going to do their gearbox oil, a) I'd recommend it and b) you don't need to fart around wedging the gearbox away from the subframe, just cut a little bit off of an 8mm Allen key-about 15mm, then it'll go in the plugs and you can use an 8mm spanner to loosen and tighten it. Pretty simple job.

Soldato
Apparently the crankshaft pulley is common for vibration.

It only vibrates once in a blue moon, so definitely not doing it until it becomes a persistent thing. I'll change the belts though, don't want those snapping!

Soldato
OP
Water pump is on the other side by yeah :p

Don't need PAS, I have muscles and it's for the alternator, I'll just put a booster pack on the engine and drive with the bonnet up.

;)

Wonder if it's advised to change the water pump as well as the belt... It usually is when doing a cam belt.

Soldato
Yea, I'm going to change both - if anything, losing the water pump drive would be the biggest problem! The big belt is £20-ish and small is about £7, so makes sense to me.

Couldn't find any mention in Haynes about scheduled replacement of the water pump. Could just be me being blind though...

Soldato
weirdly, mine has the buttons for cooled seats (have an extra little symbol that looks like a fan on them) they go blue as you would expect, but I do not actually have cooled seats, only heated
driver's side heat pad needs replacing though and Ford want £250 :eek:

I'm not sure if its a year thing, but on full you can hear something which I presume is a fan in the seat.

Back
Top Bottom