Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

what are the common problems with the diesel one of these cars. i've just seen how cheap the insurance is on them i am think about getting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321391494965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 its got a high mileage, but it will be an upgrade from my alto and its actually cheaper to insure! wtf.

That's quite expensive for the mileage. It doesn't have recaros neither xenons, so I wouldn't bother until a better spec came up.

Common problems are as follows;

Injectors,
DMF/Clutch
EGR
Rear exhaust rusting and breaking
Rear bumper Sagging

Other then that they're ok, and a nice drive. I've had mine for a year now and it's never let me down. I've just replaced the usual wear and tear items. Typical diesel faults, and if you do buy one don't get it remapped, it's not worth it. Just drive it and run it into the ground.

That's quite expensive for the mileage. It doesn't have recaros neither xenons, so I wouldn't bother until a better spec came up.

Common problems are as follows;

Injectors,
DMF/Clutch
EGR
Rear exhaust rusting and breaking
Rear bumper Sagging

Other then that they're ok, and a nice drive. I've had mine for a year now and it's never let me down. I've just replaced the usual wear and tear items. Typical diesel faults, and if you do buy one don't get it remapped, it's not worth it. Just drive it and run it into the ground.
thanks for the advice. i'm not really fused about the spec, as the only thing i have at the moment is electric windows and a heater :p. recaros would be nice, but the main thing with this one is the warranty. i'm going to try and knock down the price a bit and i've emailed the seller about the tyres and tread as well because i'm used to paying £60 a corner rather than £500-600 XD. its also tempting because its had one owner since new so its probably been well looked after. if you think there is a better one then do tell me though :)

thanks for the advice. i'm not really fused about the spec, as the only thing i have at the moment is electric windows and a heater :p. recaros would be nice, but the main thing with this one is the warranty. i'm going to try and knock down the price a bit and i've emailed the seller about the tyres and tread as well because i'm used to paying £60 a corner rather than £500-600 XD. its also tempting because its had one owner since new so its probably been well looked after. if you think there is a better one then do tell me though :)

I haven't had a look at the market for a long time, and prices seem all over the place. To put it against some of the dogs on ebay/auto-trader I think if you got it for less then £3k it would be a good buy. Just make sure it doesn't make any weird noises and drives well.

Also check for exhaust smoke, and start it up from cold, with you stood at the back. If it puffs out a little smoke it's normal, but excessive then injectors could be due for a change. Check the coil springs as standard ones are known to snap.

I haven't had a look at the market for a long time, and prices seem all over the place. To put it against some of the dogs on ebay/auto-trader I think if you got it for less then £3k it would be a good buy. Just make sure it doesn't make any weird noises and drives well.

Also check for exhaust smoke, and start it up from cold, with you stood at the back. If it puffs out a little smoke it's normal, but excessive then injectors could be due for a change. Check the coil springs as standard ones are known to snap.
ok. its nice to know what to look for, for once. :).

took the mondeo in for MOT today, it passed but as it was reversing out the garage the engine managment light came on, got it hooked up to the computer jiggy but didn't show any errors.

any ideas?

took the mondeo in for MOT today, it passed but as it was reversing out the garage the engine managment light came on, got it hooked up to the computer jiggy but didn't show any errors.

any ideas?

The most common reason is there UIM breather hose leaking, causes engine light to come on intermitantly, can cause rough idle but not always. Usually does generate an error code though. The only other common one i know of is the fuel vapour purge valve - again you should see an error code on even the most basic reader.

first test he did was a small little machine, tiny like the size of a key ring, then when it came on again he hooked it up to the bigger hand held one.

he said if it comes on again to bring it back.

ill check out the fuel vapour valve, i dont have rough idle, infact its driving fine.

Need a new EGR, coil light came on flashing. Went into limp mode. Disconnected mine and have been running it for a day without any coil light flashing. So ordered a new EGR and should be fitting it sometime this week.

Can anyone recommend where to purchase a wheel bearing? And how much should it cost to fit? Got a rumbling noise, and when I turn right it goes away. I'm sure it's a bearing.

Just an update on mine, engine warning light went out on sunday and been off ever since, took it to the garage and hooked it up to the error reader and still no codes.

Looks like a glitch >.>

The most common reason is there UIM breather hose leaking, causes engine light to come on intermitantly, can cause rough idle but not always. Usually does generate an error code though. The only other common one i know of is the fuel vapour purge valve - again you should see an error code on even the most basic reader.

breather pipe went on mine, only symptom was rough idle - no engine lights came on.

Posting in a dead thread.

Well, had the odd day off so i have had time to give some love to the ST. The other day i changed the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body and cleaned up the engine bay along with refreshing the front brace with some paint.

14591033686_01cc4d6653_z.jpg

14427329060_1fdc25e5f8_z.jpg

14427573687_dfa107f953_z.jpg

14611896614_17953b11c3_z.jpg

Only thing i need to look at is the parcel shelf, bloody rattly thing! O and the number plate, it fell off with the heat (Halfords stick pads :rolleyes:)

Finally got an ST220 after wanting one for the last 18 months but always getting bored trying to find one. Its very quick compared to my 2.0 focus and a great drive.
2004 in Black with 82k on cost me 3.5k with 12 months mot and 6 months tax.
The last guy had owned it for 9 years! and had traded it in at a ford dealers,they went and lost the service book and owners manual :mad:
But it looked really well cared for and the oil was clean and the 12 months mot was all clear so went with it.

How much does a regular service cost for these ? as i might get one done with not having any service history.
also seen on other forums people getting the brake fluid replaced or changing the gear box oil? is there any things like that need doing with it having 82k on the clock?

2dvpzf8.jpg
[/IMG]
2lkwjrm.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Posting in a dead thread.

Well, had the odd day off so i have had time to give some love to the ST. The other day i changed the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body and cleaned up the engine bay along with refreshing the front brace with some paint.

Only thing i need to look at is the parcel shelf, bloody rattly thing! O and the number plate, it fell off with the heat (Halfords stick pads :rolleyes:)

thanks for making me jealous u know i would have waited to buy yours if i had of known u were selling so soon i wanted that colour :p

Yup sorry, my fault! There has been 4 people off these boards i have let down by not selling straight away.

Was you the one i emailed saying come fetch it? Took me ages to send that email after all the humming and arrrr'ing i was doing. Back to turning everyone away again now lol.

Yup sorry, my fault! There has been 4 people off these boards i have let down by not selling straight away.

Was you the one i emailed saying come fetch it? Took me ages to send that email after all the humming and arrrr'ing i was doing. Back to turning everyone away again now lol.

yeh i contacted u after seeing it on the piston heads classifieds and u said your gonna take it off for a while then u emailed back the day after i left a deposit on mine so i was gutted as yours looks way better than mine.
Its a great car for the money though i can see why there's so many owners attached to them and why people snap them up every time they appear for sale.
It sounds great even with the standard exhaust but i really want a milltek on it eventually. Just hope i have not made a mistake buying it with no service history but having had the same owner since 8 months old it looke like he has took good care of it over the 9 years

Mondeo ST's are getting common round my parts now (especially the dervs). They're great all round cars that's why I've still kept mine. Might look to spend a bit of money on it as it does need a respray up front. Other then that, nearly 139k miles and still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom