Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

that is the camera mic whilsing. i did say it was broken. you can't really hear it in the car at all and it doesn't do it if you change gear quickly. its decatted and has no silencer so it does sound beast as long as you don't lift off all the time. i just think anything is better then a normal diesel clatter.

You've removed the silencer on a diesel? What?

Can anyone tell me what other places can a bad oil leak be coming from on the 3.0 v6?
my dad's Mondeo is leaking oil only little drips but if he goes out and comes back it will leak where he is parked etc. And there's always a couple drips on path also.
When he purchased it the dealer replaced the sump gasket and oil filter. then last week he took it to his local garage and they changed the sump plug and had a good look around but its still leaking.
They said the only other option is try replacing the rocker cover gasket both sides and if that doesn't solve it then its the crank seals or something and there an expensive job as the gear box has to come out or something?
Is this just a common problem with 3.0 duratec engines or what as all the ST sites have posts on oil leaks but nobody has a straight up answer.:(

Mine's weeping a bit - the bottom of the engine/sump gets a partial covering of oil. It doesn't drip so it's not severe. Dunno where it's coming from, can't tell - possibly the sump gasket as it's pretty common. Might put it in to a garage for them to investigate at some point.

Mine was a gearbox-out job. Thankfully noticed it before I picked the car up so the dealer covered the cost.

I've heard it happening to a few owners.
How much u talking for the gearbox out job for the crank seal?

Mine's weeping a bit - the bottom of the engine/sump gets a partial covering of oil. It doesn't drip so it's not severe. Dunno where it's coming from, can't tell - possibly the sump gasket as it's pretty common. Might put it in to a garage for them to investigate at some point.
Is it something that happens with most of these engines? My dad's has only done 59k miles. Is the crank seal all that is left for bad oil leaks after doing the sump gasket and rocker covers?
He's considering just getting rid as I have seen crank seal jobs cost a lot of money with mention of gearbox out and in some cases replacing flywheel etc while doing the job

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/F...14be6c53bd7267b8715bb5fc4ccb440b8e8040&000210

Does anyone know if this is the right lambda sensor?

Ford's inspection report (was in to the garage to look for something completely different) suggests that the o2 sensor in the left down stream is causing the EML to come on

I don't really want to pay Ford's 200 odd quid charge to replace it, have a mate who can do it for me if I find the right part

[TW]Fox;26744464 said:
You've removed the silencer on a diesel? What?

I drove my ST TDCi with no backbox for a few days after the weld rusted through as they do, and it fell off. There's no intermediate silencer on these.

It was remarkably quiet - apart from being a bit boomy at certain RPM's and when you lifted off it was fine.

Hi guys,

Bit of an odd one, over the past few weeks i noticed (when the passenger window was down) that when changing gears there was a bit of a clunk, as you move the stick not as you clutch in/out. May have been doing it for ages but i never usually have the windows down so only noticed it then. Didnt think too much of it because the gear changes were fine and it wasn't that noisy. Then more recently it started popping out of 2nd gear as you take foot off the clutch. Kind of as it bites it jerks it out of gear.

Anyway i changed the gearbox oil couple days ago and its been fine, no noises, gears are smooth as butter now and the car i swear accelerates much faster and has less reistance on down changes if that makes sense. It doesnt pop out of gear either. Whilst this is great i do worry that i have done some damage running it as it was for so long. I also dont understand how changing the oil can make such big difference when ford say the gearbox oil shouldn't ever need changing??. i measured the oil that came out and it wasnt missing any i dont think, pretty much bang on what i put back in it. The oil was black as black and very watery. Cars on 76k miles now. I would definately recommend doing it if your around this mileage and have never had it done...such a difference.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Bit of an odd one, over the past few weeks i noticed (when the passenger window was down) that when changing gears there was a bit of a clunk, as you move the stick not as you clutch in/out. May have been doing it for ages but i never usually have the windows down so only noticed it then. Didnt think too much of it because the gear changes were fine and it wasn't that noisy. Then more recently it started popping out of 2nd gear as you take foot off the clutch. Kind of as it bites it jerks it out of gear.

Anyway i changed the gearbox oil couple days ago and its been fine, no noises, gears are smooth as butter now and the car i swear accelerates much faster and has less reistance on down changes if that makes sense. It doesnt pop out of gear either. Whilst this is great i do worry that i have done some damage running it as it was for so long. I also dont understand how changing the oil can make such big difference when ford say the gearbox oil shouldn't ever need changing??. Cars on 76k miles now. I would definately recommend doing it if your around this mileage and have never had it done...such a difference.

I can hear abit of noise from mine when changing gear like yours was. When I had it serviced the mechanic said no need to change gearbox oil as it's a sealed unit etc. but I might get it done with you saying that. How much did it cost? Mine is on 84k miles now

Mine does it too, you hear a bit of a noise as the gears engage. It's always done it and it's not got any worse so it must just be the way it is.

It's definitely not a sealed unit, there's a drain and a filler plug. Change it for genuine Ford oil (1.75L I think it takes) and it should feel smoother after 84k.

just looking at these again and came across this one for sale :)

image.jpg

just looking at these again and came across this one for sale :)

image.jpg

How can anyone destroy such a good looking car with a plastic go faster spoiler like that. Such a shame as there is getting less and less about as the months go on. U can count on one hand how many are for sale with less than 90k on and the prices are rising constant.

Mine does it too, you hear a bit of a noise as the gears engage. It's always done it and it's not got any worse so it must just be the way it is.

It's definitely not a sealed unit, there's a drain and a filler plug. Change it for genuine Ford oil (1.75L I think it takes) and it should feel smoother after 84k.

Yeh I was thinking it must be the way the car is. I'll change the gearbox oil then with it having done 84k .

Yeh I was thinking it must be the way the car is. I'll change the gearbox oil then with it having done 84k .

When you do it you'll need a tiny 8mm hex bit I used a 3cm one and it was too long to just slip in as the gearbox is almost flush against the subframe so I had to prize the gearbox a tiny bit with a breaker bar to get the hex bit in the drain plug, bit of a bad design by ford! Unless u have the 5 speed box in which case you don't get this issue apparently

When you do it you'll need a tiny 8mm hex bit I used a 3cm one and it was too long to just slip in as the gearbox is almost flush against the subframe so I had to prize the gearbox a tiny bit with a breaker bar to get the hex bit in the drain plug, bit of a bad design by ford! Unless u have the 5 speed box in which case you don't get this issue apparently

An easier way is to find a sacrificial 8mm allen key and cut a ~20mm bit off, put it into the drain plug, and use an appropriately-sized spanner to undo it.

But MAKE SURE YOU GET THE FILLER PLUG UNDONE FIRST!

Also, buy two new plugs. Mine were a bit mullered by the time I'd managed to get the drain one undone. Ford part number 6732263 x 2.

Back
Top Bottom