Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Continental Sport Contact 3 all-round. All 4 were new when I bought it a year ago but the fronts are getting low now.

I think half the problem is the weight shifting to the back. This was greatly exagerated on my driveway one day this winter when I couldn't get out but everyone else could :(

I remember one time last summer the fronts span up while accelerating through 60mph in a straight line on a dry road :confused: - I think because it was ever so slightly up-hill.

There's no turbo on the ST220 bunnox.

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I've only really been doing the 20p test so I'll get back to you on that. I need to order myself a proper tyre depth gauge. I'm about 7,000 miles into them I think and haven't swapped the fronts/backs around but may do so soon.

Soldato
OP
I get about 15-17k from my front tyres. A fair bit more from the rears. Using Conti SC5s all round and although I never nail it from a standstill - I don't see the point in doing that - I can take off pretty briskly and hoon it through 1st and 2nd without any dramas. I've never had any breaking of traction once on the move in the dry (or even in the wet that I can recall) unless I shift particularly brutally from 1st to 2nd. It's just not a powerful enough engine for those short of shenanigans really. It's a great chassis, very balanced. Obviously you will have limitations because of what it is, but for what it is, it drives brilliantly IMHO.

Rybo come to the RR and I'll show you what it can do if you like (if that's not too far into the future of course)

Last edited:
Soldato
That's good of you Howard, nice one. Will likely have a new car by then but if I don't, I'll definitely consider coming down.

15-17k miles is quite impressive really, I'm use to 10k miles with the car I have now.

Thanks for all the info guys :)

Soldato
OP
That one is missing a jacking point cover and, I dunno, just has a bit of an air of scruffiness about it, to me. And I don't like those shadow chrome wheels :(

Things to look out for are generally knocking from the rear which is likely to be subframe bushes, or ARB drop links. There isn't much else other than the usual stuff. Make sure it's been serviced properly and on time, they like fresh oil.

Last edited:
Soldato
Princey get looking better, I have seen lower mileage FSH younger ST220's for less than that.

Howard I did look into it, when gibbo posted it up. It is a 5 hour round trip for me though. Will decide closer to the date.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Looks alright but price is a bit high. Also it *may* fall into the higher tax bracket due to age.

I don't like the colour of the alloys either but your tastes may be different and at least they have been refurbed.

Soldato
Found a nice 06 plate with 45k miles, FSH with all paperwork and receipts. Slightly put off with the £460 tax though :eek:

I'd get one a bit older to avoid the tax personally.

Nothing was really added to last update, so as long as you get one 2004 onwards then you are set.

Mine is a 54 plate on 126k now, still feels great!

Last edited:
Soldato
Anything to really look out for then? Where are the leaks? Anything out of the ordinary to listen/feel out for?

I'll be out for a 54-55 plate to avoid the silly tax price.

Going to have to a Performance blue one with black/grey leather.

Soldato
I think the earlier models had issues with the bottom of the doors rusting but should be all fixed in the facelift.

Only real issues I've had on mine is the passenger side wheel bearing failed (its done a lot of miles mind), an air intake pipe split (cheap fix) and the rear bumper was sagging.

Handily someone went into the back of me so they sorted my bumper and gave me a nice new shiny exhaust as well :D

I can't really think of any major common problems, check the rear suspension and expect any cars on factory alloys to look pretty tatty as they corrode like anything.

Otherwise just get one that has been looked after.

Back
Top Bottom