Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Looks a nice example, I did consider these after my S2000 accident but seemed very very few good ones for sale. Lovely colour performance blue, had it on my Fiesta, always manages to look great :)

Soldato
There's an issue on the ST220 because Ford fitted a larger, heavier rear bumper but didn't include any extra support. What people have found over time is that the bumper "sags", and a gap appears below the rear lights. Whilst it's usually just unsightly, some people have actually had their bumpers fall off because of this, and at £600 for a new one, sense of humour failure usually takes place.

Ford issued some foam blocks to hold the bumper, but they're over £100, and not always effective. What is effective though, is the fix that the owner community came up with, which takes 10 minutes and is just drilling 5 holes and fitting 5 screws. The posts below should make it clearer!

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/to...rear-bumper-thread/page__st__1200#entry202717

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/topic/19528-rear-bumper-pics-screws/

Associate
There's an issue on the ST220 because Ford fitted a larger, heavier rear bumper but didn't include any extra support. What people have found over time is that the bumper "sags", and a gap appears below the rear lights. Whilst it's usually just unsightly, some people have actually had their bumpers fall off because of this, and at £600 for a new one, sense of humour failure usually takes place.

Ford issued some foam blocks to hold the bumper, but they're over £100, and not always effective. What is effective though, is the fix that the owner community came up with, which takes 10 minutes and is just drilling 5 holes and fitting 5 screws. The posts below should make it clearer!

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/to...rear-bumper-thread/page__st__1200#entry202717

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/topic/19528-rear-bumper-pics-screws/

oh wow thanks for the links as mine is slightly saggy and has been for a long time now i kept putting it off due to the expense of a new bumper but this looks like a very easy fix

Soldato
OP
Mine has sagged a few mm below the lights but it hasn't moved since I bought the car. I thought about doing the 'fix' but I'm loathed to bodge and drill into the crash bar until I have to :D

I did modify the mounting lugs/screws a bit with some washers to help 'even the load' and stop the plastic lugs tearing any further, whether it's helped or not who knows :)

Soldato
Yeah slight sag on this. Will sort it later :)

Need to top up on some cleaning products. Anyone know any good stuff that will clean the rubber seals around the windows?

Soldato
Nice buy, in the best colour too. Everyone wants the blue and the seem to command more of a premium hence why I got my silver ST220 for a good price.

The wheels are just part of the ownership. First thing I did was to get mine refurbed, make sure you get them sprayed in a normal finish rather than a diamond cut finish as it simply doesn't last. I paid £260 for all of mine.

Soldato
OP
People who have had theirs refurbished, how do you work the logistics of having it done? Take the car to them and wait / drop it off, or ship the wheels off, or...?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
She is a 54 plate with 76k miles on the clock, FDSH, loads of history, 2 keys.

She is far from perfect though unfortunately. Wheels need a refurb, tiny ding on the rear quarter that should come out. Bonnet will be getting reprayed due to a bit of lacquer peal around the stone chips.

Reason for sale, kids and mother moved out so he bought a RX8 and stopped using the ST220 except for when he picked the kids up.

Was up for £3600 and got him down to £2900.

Engine sounds lovely :D

You got it for a decent price I reckon. Most of the problems you mention are on pretty much all ST220's (unless already fixed). My alloys don't look too bad but the peal has caused a bad tyre seal in the past on one wheel so may need to get them refurbed due to that.

That's a smashing buy, I'm still keeping my eye out. I'm in no rush so I'd like xenons and satnav really.
The xenons are worth having but just be aware they are not as good as ones you see on newer cars as they are probably a decade old design.

Do you really want a 8 year+ old sat nav? I think it's fairly straightforward to upgrade the 6 CD stereo (double din) on non satnav equipped cars. I'm probably going to upgrade mine later in the year but I'm just after stereo/phone functionality and not sat nav as I use my phone for that.

Soldato
OP
I think my Xenons are great. I put new bulbs in and they're nice and bright with a nice sharp cut-off, and they look fantastic.

Yes it's easy enough to fit a double-din nav unit. I can't bring myself to spend £800 on the unit I want though.

Soldato
God i missed being able to hook my iPhone up to the unit :D

Heated seats are nice to, burnt my bum when I put it on full wack. Was driving down road like I crapped my self lol.

How do you put cruise on and how do you reset the MPG? Cheers

Soldato
OP
Press the 'on' switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel and then press the 'set' button on the right hand side, to activate cruise. Use the + and - buttons to speed up or slow down by 1mph increments. To temporarily disable it, press 'res'. To re-enable it and have the car accelerate back to your previously chosen speed, press 'res' again. To turn it off completely, press 'off'.

To reset the MPG, switch to the MPG display and hold down the button in the instrument cluster next to the trip display.

Back
Top Bottom