Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
That answers half the question I suppose. But I want the unit to fit in the fascia adaptor and the plastic surround to fit around the edges nicely without having to bodge or end up looking crap.

But your suggestion could be the way to go..

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I'm also considering double-din nav units... They're so expensive though and it's tricky to find definitive information as to whether they'll fit properly..
I'd like a double-din unit also but decided against getting one equipped with nav as it's far too low down the centre console. You have to completely take your eyes off the road to glance at it.

Last edited:
Associate
Haven't been able to shake the urge to get one of these.....some questions:

How many revs are you doing at 70mph in sixth?
What is the power delivery like? Does it pull well from ~1500rpm or do you need some revs on leaving junctions etc.
Is it the kind of car you need to thrash to get the best out of or is it best as a relaxing cruiser? Or equally good both ways?
Can you get heated seats on the full leather or is it only on part leather?
How do the folding mirrors work? Do they auto fold when you lock it or do you hold down a separate button on the key fob/interior of the car?
How are the xenons? Are they really bright white light or kind of bluish?
If you get a model with satnav can you listen to a CD and use the satnav at the same time? I'd imagine you can but I think I read somewhere you can't...

Thanks guys.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Haven't been able to shake the urge to get one of these.....some questions:

How many revs are you doing at 70mph in sixth?
Roughly 2,800 I think

What is the power delivery like? Does it pull well from ~1500rpm or do you need some revs on leaving junctions etc.
Can be slow moving off from a standstill - especially if going uphill (even slightly) but once you are rolling it pulls strongly. You can make good progress in normal driving without ever going over 3,000rpm.

Is it the kind of car you need to thrash to get the best out of or is it best as a relaxing cruiser? Or equally good both ways?
It can do both but if you're going to thrash it in a town environment the braking performance may disappoint you as it's not on par with the acceleration.

Can you get heated seats on the full leather or is it only on part leather?
You get heated seats and full leather as standard on ST220s. With part leather you also get the option of cooled seats in addition I think.

How do the folding mirrors work? Do they auto fold when you lock it or do you hold down a separate button on the key fob/interior of the car?
Manual control from inside the car although some people have done a mod to make them auto on central locking.

How are the xenons? Are they really bright white light or kind of bluish?
Not the best on the road as it's a decade old design but still a fair bit better than Halogen. The colour depends on the bulb fitted. I've got 5000k in mine but 4,300k is more common.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It can do both but if you're going to thrash it in a town environment the braking performance may disappoint you as it's not on par with the acceleration.

See now a lot of people have said this but i found the braking is plenty good enough, it just isn't as assisted as modern cars which is good because you get a better feeling to the pedal, that said additional braking power on the ST220 can never be a bad thing if you ever decided to mod it

Manual control from inside the car although some people have done a mod to make them auto on central locking.

oh please tell me more, this would be so much better

Not the best on the road as it's a decade old design but still a fair bit better than Halogen. The colour depends on the bulb fitted. I've got 5000k in mine but 4,300k is more common.
I take it you fitted replacement bulbs then ?
Can you use any or is it a specific brand/type, have you noticed a significant difference on the road with the colour changed ?

Soldato
OP
My xenons work really well, they are quite small projector lenses so modern cars with big lenses might throw a little bit further but for me they're brilliant. And much better than halogen.

2700-2800rpm at 70mph in 6th is right.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
See now a lot of people have said this but i found the braking is plenty good enough, it just isn't as assisted as modern cars which is good because you get a better feeling to the pedal, that said additional braking power on the ST220 can never be a bad thing if you ever decided to mod it
My previous car (MK1 Focus) was a lot lighter and stopped quickly so I kinda expected more performance from the ST220's braking. Not saying it's rubbish - just could be better.

oh please tell me more, this would be so much better
http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Folding_Mirrors_With_Remote_Key

A word of warning though, the mirrors can get stuck in the closed position after a really cold night (ice build-up).

I take it you fitted replacement bulbs then ?
Can you use any or is it a specific brand/type, have you noticed a significant difference on the road with the colour changed ?
Any 35W D2S HID bulb. The colour is mainly down to personal preference, it's the lumens you need to look at for performance.

I have OSRAM 66240CBI bulbs (+20%) in mine. There's a pic of them in action on page 20 of this thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had dents took out, charged me £80. Done a good job too.

Been to DVLA to have private reg put on :)

Then weeped a bit when I realised I am only getting 50miles to £20 driving like a granny :D

Permabanned
My previous car (MK1 Focus) was a lot lighter and stopped quickly so I kinda expected more performance from the ST220's braking. Not saying it's rubbish - just could be better.

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Folding_Mirrors_With_Remote_Key

A word of warning though, the mirrors can get stuck in the closed position after a really cold night (ice build-up).

Any 35W D2S HID bulb. The colour is mainly down to personal preference, it's the lumens you need to look at for performance.

I have OSRAM 66240CBI bulbs (+20%) in mine. There's a pic of them in action on page 20 of this thread.

Page 20 for me is the last page, and this is page 21. Don't suppose you can link to the post instead can you ? or have I missed it somewhere ?

Were the bulbs easy enough to change ? enoughs space to get to them etc ?

I had actually found that link whilst waiting for you to reply, really good guide that, looks like a fairly simple concept but a fiddly assed job.

I may give it a go at some point. :)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Page 20 for me is the last page, and this is page 21. Don't suppose you can link to the post instead can you ? or have I missed it somewhere ?

Were the bulbs easy enough to change ? enoughs space to get to them etc ?

I had actually found that link whilst waiting for you to reply, really good guide that, looks like a fairly simple concept but a fiddly assed job.

I may give it a go at some point. :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23780782&postcount=588

I did the bulbs at same time as upgrading from Halogen units. You have to remove the grill then pull the whole headlight unit out. Then you got easy access to the bulbs. Sounds worse than it is - you just got to undo a couple screws and twist some tabs.

Permabanned
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23780782&postcount=588

I did the bulbs at same time as upgrading from Halogen units. You have to remove the grill then pull the whole headlight unit out. Then you got easy access to the bulbs. Sounds worse than it is - you just got to undo a couple screws and twist some tabs.

Oh I didn't realise you upgraded.
I already have xenon headlights on mine.
Not sure how the bulbs fair over time, wether they lose brightness or whatever. :S

Back
Top Bottom