Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I can see the appeal of the pressure washer method. Just drench the engine bay in degreaser, make a cup of tea, drink it, then rinse off the degreaser. Then I guess re-apply lubricant where you need to.

I just don't have the guts to try that.

Associate
I just got the garage to supply and fit new mounts when they were fitting the exhaust. JP didn't have any recommendations for mounts when I asked them.

All I remember was they were black. If I had to guess they were Ford OEM mounts.

I will probably fit a backbox one then which are wider.
Thanks.

Soldato
Anyone got a K&N on? Make any difference to the acceleration feel? Sound? Noticed they are quite pricey at £150.

Anyone ever put theirs on track?

Decided to buy another car at the weekend as I cannot run this for work @ 20mpg over 20k miles. Certainly loves it juice lol...

Soldato
OP
20k miles at 20mpg?Are you sure? That's a lot of short distance driving!

Don't bother with a K&N, modify the standard air box by fitting the cold air pipe to the bottom left of the air box unit which was deleted when they fitted the 6 speed gearbox. This is the most efficient intake method as has been pretty much proven. The forums love their intake mods but they don't help really.

Soldato
You should get 35-ish on a motorway run Rybo, and mid twenties around town.

As Howard has said, the airbox mod is the best one that people have done, the only other significant benefit is from a full Pipercross kit, but that's a fair chunk of money.

Soldato
OP
Mid 20s around town is rather ambitious if there's much stop-start driving. 20 is more realistic in this scenario but who does this for 20,000 miles per year unless they're a taxi driver? :p

Soldato
I am averaging 22MPG, i do roughly 20miles of town roads and 30miles (40-50mph) of country roads every day for work.

Ill be honest and say I was kind of hoping for around 27mpg on my route to work as the VXR acheived 34MPG when super granny driving.

Going to buy a little mile muncher for work and the ST will be for play time / family trips :)

So this air box mod, does it help the engine breath a lot better?

Soldato
OP
I'm sure once the new car novelty wears off you'll find yourself hooning it less. My average MPG has gone up just by driving with economy in mind while commuting, changing gear earlier for example, without labouring the engine. Make sure your tyre pressures are correct too.

It'll cost you much more to run another car than it will to fuel this one.

What do you do for a living? Aren't work paying for fuel?

The air box mod basically helps it breathe cooler, denser air

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got a K&N on? Make any difference to the acceleration feel? Sound? Noticed they are quite pricey at £150.

Anyone ever put theirs on track?

Decided to buy another car at the weekend as I cannot run this for work @ 20mpg over 20k miles. Certainly loves it juice lol...

I had one on mine, sounded good but too much heatsoak, get the pipercross VIS kit, much better and with 85% of the sound!

Permabanned
You should get 35-ish on a motorway run Rybo, and mid twenties around town.

As Howard has said, the airbox mod is the best one that people have done, the only other significant benefit is from a full Pipercross kit, but that's a fair chunk of money.

I will put my neck out here and say unless you drive it at a constant 56mph with no traffic whatsoever, 35mpg is absolutely impossible in this car.

I have managed about 28mpg driving it at 60 on a dual carriageway with very light throttle inputs.

And if I had to drive the car in this way all the time I would just get rid of it.
I cannot see the point in buying a big engined car then having to drive it like a granny everywhere.
By all means drive economically but no point owning this car if you take that to the extreme

IMO ;)

Soldato
I will put my neck out here and say unless you drive it at a constant 56mph with no traffic whatsoever, 35mpg is absolutely impossible in this car.

I have managed about 28mpg driving it at 60 on a dual carriageway with very light throttle inputs.

And if I had to drive the car in this way all the time I would just get rid of it.
I cannot see the point in buying a big engined car then having to drive it like a granny everywhere.
By all means drive economically but no point owning this car if you take that to the extreme

IMO ;)

I concur, best I've seen is 32MPG and thats from driving like a granny on the motorway.

One good thing is that although MPG is pretty bad on motorways, how you drive doesn't make that much of a difference.

Say I drove at 85 rather than 70, the difference is pretty negligible (32 down to 30MPG).

Soldato
Sorry, I should have explained really. The 2nd car will mainly be for the mrs as she has been without a car for nearly 2 years (since her crash if some remember this) and her remaining NCB is abouts to run out of date in May.

Loads of others things to like she starts her new job soon which is a 20mile round trip (3+hours of bus journeys from Chesterfield to Sheffield), twice a week and not to mention the amount of taxis/buses the mrs and little one have to use when I am working (especially at the weekends)

So a 2nd car works out better. Just looking for a little mk6 Fiesta and ill nick it the odd days when both cars ain't needed.

To answer the question about my job, I am a rehabilitation worker. Involves a lot of travelling from Chesterfield to Worksop and sometimes Sheffield.

This was kinda the plan from the beginning anyway :)

Soldato
OP
Well your missus needing a car is a little bit different to wanting it solely for work use, so yeah :p :)

Maybe yours is broken then, because I can manage 35mpg quite easily by sitting at 70 on a quiet motorway. Sitting at 60 in 6th would achieve nearer 40. Obviously if there's lots of traffic, necessitating acceleration to overtake and whatnot, it goes down a wee bit.

Just because you own a performance car doesn't mean you need to drive it like it's on a race track 24/7. To insist that someone isn't "driving the car how it should be driven" because they don't do 200mph on a motorway and treat every set of traffic lights like a quarter-mile drag race is a bit juvenile really.

My commute is dull. Very dull. I drive through town a bit, onto a motorway for a bit, and then through another town a bit. It's boring, so I just sit back in the nice comfortable environment that my car offers, listen to some good music and drive in an economical, stress-free manner. Motorways are boring whether you're doing 70 or 100mph, so I sit back and relax and drive at the speed limit. Find me on a deserted countryside B road, however, and I challenge you to try and keep up. :p

Imy

Imy

Soldato
After a 159 mile trip doing 70mph on cruise control with no traffic and a couple of services stops and a tiny bit of town driving each end I got 30.3mpg (measured at the pump) even though the trip computer had been showing a steady 34-35mpg for 90%+ of the journey.

Tyre pressures had been set correctly just prior to the trip and car was serviced a few weeks prior. I can only assume the trip computer, like every other trip computer I've seen, is showing massaged figures.

I have also noticed the lack of major difference in fuel economy between hooning it and driving normally - especially in town.

Soldato
OP
That's quite strange, I've found mine is accurate to around 0.5-0.7mpg. Maybe I'm just lucky or my car really wants to be a diesel. :p

I have found that adjusting my commuting driving style to be less right-foot-heavy has netted me about 1-1.5MPG, which doesn't sound like much but when it goes up from ~25 to ~26-27 it feels better at least. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to cry into my cornflakes about the economy and sell up for a diesel, that's for damn sure. But it's nice to experiment and whatnot!

Last edited:
Soldato
I brimmed the tank Monday afternoon, done 89 miles and the pin is just over half way on the petrol gauge and the car says it has 178miles left in the tank.

Learnt to take 2/3 of that and that is what you'll get. So I am guessing around 200miles a tank which is pretty bad. Nothing is broken and all my tyres are the right pressure.

Soldato
OP
If your MPG is low then so will your range be. I can get 275-300 miles to a tank when commuting and probably approaching 400 on a long range drive although I've never done a journey long enough for that, but the range is always 380 odd if I start a long drive.

Soldato
35mpg is my standard motorway figure really. That's sat at 65mph in 6th, tyre pressures are 36/33, with just my meagre 80kg in the drivers seat!

My average over the last few tanks has been 26mpg, which is a fair mix of town and motorway stints.

Back
Top Bottom