Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
I use 42PSI front 38 rear. I 36/33 is under-inflated. The manual doesn't make it particularly clear IIRC that you have to use the 'fast' settings for the ST models.

Soldato
OP
Well, 40-42 ish.

34 for a standard Mondeo with 16" balloon tyres probably :)

Since I upped mine it drives much sharper and helps a little with the old fuel economy.

Gosh I sound like an old man. I'm not crazy, I promise. :D

I wish I only weighed 80kg.

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Sounds like you're over inflating Howard. That might explain why your fuel economy is a bit better than the rest of us but it may be at a cost of less traction, poorer handling, harsher ride and uneven tyre wear. Pretty sure Ford state 33 or 34 PSI for fronts on the ST220 (single occupant).

I've got Continental tyres on mine and they recommend 2.3 bar (33.4 PSI) at front which matches Ford's recommendation.

Source: http://www.conticontact.co.uk/uploads/downloads/technical/continentalairpressure4x42011-2012.pdf (page 63)

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you're over inflating Howard. That might explain why your fuel economy is a bit better than the rest of us but it may be at a cost of less traction, poorer handling, harsher ride and uneven tyre wear. Pretty sure Ford state 33 or 34 PSI for fronts on the ST220 (single occupant).

I've got Continental tyres on mine and they recommend 2.3 bar (33.4 PSI) at front which matches Ford's recommendation.

Source: http://www.conticontact.co.uk/uploads/downloads/technical/continentalairpressure4x42011-2012.pdf (page 63)

My motorway economy was still good even before I started putting more air in. The grip levels are as good as they were but turn-in is much sharper. I think a lot of it is trial and error for specific cars and what owners prefer. They're certainly not over-inflated IMHO. 33PSI looks flat with my CS5s.

If you look on the ST/Talkford forums most people use more than Ford's "recommended" pressures

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Imy where did you get your jp exhaust fitted?
Arbury Coachworks Ltd, Nuneaton. I had the exhaust delivered directly there. They charged me £40 for the install + £20 for new mounts.

It's a relatively straightforward job as the design is very similar to OEM so whoever you normally use should manage it without problems.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
If you look on the ST/Talkford forums most people use more than Ford's "recommended" pressures
Sure there are some people running a few PSI higher, but I wouldn't say most and I haven't come across anyone but you (yet) running as high as 42 PSI (8-9 PSI higher than Ford/Continental's recommendation).

Soldato
OP
I don't actually run them at 42/38 tbh, I've just tried them that high in the past. 40 for the fronts and 35-36 for the rears I find to be the sweet spot. It does depend on tyres and weather (temp) too :)

Permabanned
Maybe yours is broken then, because I can manage 35mpg quite easily by sitting at 70 on a quiet motorway. Sitting at 60 in 6th would achieve nearer 40. Obviously if there's lots of traffic, necessitating acceleration to overtake and whatnot, it goes down a wee bit.

Just because you own a performance car doesn't mean you need to drive it like it's on a race track 24/7. To insist that someone isn't "driving the car how it should be driven" because they don't do 200mph on a motorway and treat every set of traffic lights like a quarter-mile drag race is a bit juvenile really.

I did make it quite clear in my post I wasn't saying you need to drive like that all the time.
I was merely saying that buying a performance car and then worrying about breathing on the accelerator is no way to own this car.
And I am serious that is how i need to drive it to get anywhere near 30mpg.

I drive economically most of the time and this car does not do 30mpg (do you live in holland :p)

I average about 22/23 mpg add on 2/3mpg to account for the fact i run on gas gives me a figure of around 25mpg

I might try putting a bit more air in the tyres and see if that makes any diff, but I won't be running 40PSI in them (seriously 40 PSI ???)

Soldato
OP
I did make it quite clear in my post I wasn't saying you need to drive like that all the time.
I was merely saying that buying a performance car and then worrying about breathing on the accelerator is no way to own this car.
And I am serious that is how i need to drive it to get anywhere near 30mpg.

I drive economically most of the time and this car does not do 30mpg (do you live in holland :p)

I average about 22/23 mpg add on 2/3mpg to account for the fact i run on gas gives me a figure of around 25mpg

I might try putting a bit more air in the tyres and see if that makes any diff, but I won't be running 40PSI in them (seriously 40 PSI ???)

I'm not worried about anything, it's just a discussion over what people are achieving economy-wise and what's the norm. OK maybe I get a couple of MPG higher than the "norm" but there's plenty of factors that contribute towards it, and tbh why would you accept the fact that the car might not be performing as efficiently as it *could*? You say you drive economically and yet you say you cannot better 30mpg. Understandable in urban environments of course, but yours will do better than 28-30mpg on a run, I'm sure of it. If not then perhaps there's an underlying problem. Sticking rear caliper, for example. They're famous for it, and I replaced one of mine the other week.

Or the fact you're running on gas which is likely to be not as efficient a setup as the factory petrol setup.

And what's so outrageous about 40psi? It's only a small handful more than the 'recommended' figures, and it's a heavy old thing. You should see the tyre pressures modern BMWs with their rubber band tyres use!

Anyway without us all recording how we drive it's very difficult to measure by describing driving styles alone :p

Soldato
Really happy with the new tail lights, look so much better imo.

Does the Mondeo have the same rear calipers as the Fiesta ST? They are known for seizing up to.

Will put it on the check list for the weekend. Was looking into the Focus ST disk and caliper upgrade but it has mixed reviews.

Soldato
I've always run the fronts at 40psi in my ST TDCi. Any less than 36psi and I can tell it doesn't feel right - the steering doesn't feel as alive and it starts to tramline.

Low 30's would kill the inside edges of front tyres.

The manual does say vehicles with sports suspension should use the high speed pressures given in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom