Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
Alpine IDA-X305, with external PXA-H100 Imprint DSP unit. Focal IC570s in the front doors (might put some in the rear doors too at some point), and a 12" JBL sub in the boot for a bit of extra low end oomph.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Oh yeah I think I remember seeing your single-DIN fascia.

That's a proper upgrade you went for then. I don't think I will be going beyond a new HU as I've spent a fair amount on audio equipment at home.

Did you sound-deaden the doors?

Soldato
OP
I've got some rather decent audio equipment at home too, hence my desire for a bit more quality on the move :p

I could probably go even further with some higher quality door speakers and an external amplifier for them, but I think the law of diminishing returns will soon set in. I'm happy with how it sounds at the moment - nice rich, clear sound that isn't harsh and just all highs and lows. I didn't, sound deaden the doors no. I put some on the boot floor to reduce road noise which made a little bit of difference. Maybe one day I'll have the doors apart but it looks like a bit of a pain.

Soldato
OP
Not a great deal, it's primarily to increase the quality of, and get a cleaner / tighter sound by dampening the vibrations from the speakers which resonate within the very "active"/noisy/vibration-prone thin metal cabinet that is the door, and to "deaden" the door's acoustic properties. The doors might close with more of a "thud", too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Let me know how you get on and maybe I'll build up enough "arsed" to do the same :)

Got an SPL meter? Measure the sound level at 70mph on the same bit of road before and after ;)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I don't have a sound meter no. Just had a browse around for a few and I may have impulse bought one but so far most seem to only go as low as 30dBA which would be fine for this task but I was hoping to also test PC setups.

Soldato
I would like to ask some questions -

1. When I start the car up in the morning, if I put it in reverse and leave the clutch down the revs jump up and down. It does not do this in neutral/1st/2nd etc, only reverse. Is this some idler pulley at fault?

2. On start up I can hear a belt squeal not sure which one it is, but it's not too prominent. It's more of a chirp to say the least.

3. I'm getting a very vivid emissions smell, what should I change? It wasn't there before.

Thanks.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
A job like that is way beyond my expertise but I did think it was odd he's placed cooling fans smack bang middle of the boot making his big boot pretty useless to put big things in. Personally I would have gone for a side-mount or floating tray, just under the parcel shelf.

Associate
Howard, in your endless quest to elimate rattles from yours have you ever come across a metallic rattle seeming coming from the rear. It happens at 40 mph above and appears to coincide with bumps in the road.

Looking on st drivers it could be either be exhaust heat shields, drop links or handbrake cable. I also have an annoying rattle from the rear seats which I'd like to fix.

Suggestions are welcome

Daz

Back
Top Bottom