Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I need about another cm I think. I'll take pics a bit later on.

I'm going to try to get my hand up and behind it from the driver footwell area to see if the cables need dislodging.

Even though it's not fully clipped into the cage, it's not going anywhere on it's own so I may just live with it sticking out a bit. The stereo itself looks a bit "Halfords" but does what I need it to.

Soldato
OP
It's much easier to get your hand in from the passenger side if you take the glovebox out - there's quite a lot of rear access if you do this. Gently push cables down into the voids of the dashboard as you're pushing the unit back, and then get in from behind and gently 'massage' the cables out of the way. You're nearly there so I'd be pretty confident it's just a mass of wires. The ISO and QuadLock connectors (for steering controls and such) are chunky old things, too.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I'll give that a go cheers. The quadlock am pretty sure I've managed to tuck away but there's a black box where the steering wheel controls plug into which may be causing the issue.

If it turns out to be the angle of the hole, I was thinking of maybe trying to angle the cage downwards a bit. Might be difficult to do now that I've bent the locking tabs on the cage.

Soldato
OP
I think people have managed to fit double-DIN units into the facelift dash so it should go! I think it'll end up looking just as bad if you angle it down and try to bodge it. There should still be some space for all the cables and connectors and control boxes to tuck down - there's quite a big "void" down the side of the centre console at each side, where it enters the footwell, if that make sense.

Gentle trial and error is the key. :)

Each time I have mine out for one reason or another, it takes me half an hour of fiddling for it all go to back neatly!

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I removed the glovebox and took a peak behind the stereo but it's all blocked off.

t1mn.jpg

Imy

Imy

Soldato
This is starting to get on my ****.

The hole (quad lock connector tucked down back left, the other bulky bit shown to the back right as I push the radio in):

sg41.jpg

This is how far back it goes when fitted:

zzc6.jpg

Tried removing the brackets on the side of the radio but made no difference with regards to how far back it will go:

sl93.jpg

How it looks at the moment with the bezel fitted:

xp11.jpg

7ra9.jpg

Soldato
OP
So from the looks of it, the cage goes all the way in, so it's not a height/slant issue.

Can you push the radio all the way in without any cables connected, and the ones inside the dash tucked out of the way? My guess is that the hole isn't deep enough and the cables/connectors are hitting the black plastic inner dash

Imy

Imy

Soldato
That's a good suggestion, I will try taking the cables out of the equation then.

With regards to the slant, although it's difficult to tell from the photo, the cage is not at the same angle as the hole ceiling and it does go on to slant a bit more steeply where the cage ends.

Permabanned
This is starting to get on my ****.

The hole (quad lock connector tucked down back left, the other bulky bit shown to the back right as I push the radio in):

sg41.jpg

See the round hole at the back of the dashboard in the middle of where the stereo fits here.

Do you have a corresponding "dongle" screwed into the back of the radio to fit into that ?
If you do, remove it and try again.
Sometimes the dongle is just brass, sometimes it has a rubber cover on it.

If you don't have it fitted then you are probably SOOL :(

Imy

Imy

Soldato
There was no dongle on the back DogsBody but I finally managed to get it to go back a little further and click into the cage after following Howard's advice.

First up removed all cables or tucked them out of the way to confirm it was the cables causing the issue:

92ud.jpg

Then I re-routed the cables so that they wouldn't have to cross-over the central section:

ensn.jpg

I think before the cables were getting trapped between the heatsink you can see on the back of the head unit and the dongle hole DogsBody mentioned.

Head unit clipped in:

nior.jpg

Bezel fitted:

7zvr.jpg

I know the bezel is sticking out at the bottom. That's intentional to cover up the scratches on the fascia :(

There is deffinately a "knack" to fitting these things which I'm closer to having now but wish I had at the start so could've avoided scuffing/scratching the gear knob, gear gaitor and fascia and also avoid wearing out the bracket screw holes.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Yep, cheers for the help :)

I actually saw someone do the rag over the gear knob thing in a vid and thought I should do it too but got lazy/impatient and didn't bother so my own fault. Although the fascia scratches were just due to the amount of times I had to fiddle with the cage and head unit.

Back
Top Bottom