Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Tracked down my squeak, it's coming from the rear left wheel when the car is hot, only present below 10mph. Going to take it to the garage at the weekend for them to strip the brake assembly and clean it, hoping it's just grit or similar in there (had new pads in December and the discs aren't that worn). Car doesn't pull at all, no vibration.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Next on my list of things to do is to fix a couple of dents. The first is one the front passenger wing:

uh3w.jpg

The other is a smaller one on the front passenger door. The paint isn't broken on that one. I think someone did it opening their car door.

Should I get a replacement wing off ebay (~£75-£100) or buy a new one and get it painted (£???) or get the current one repaired (£???).

Same queries for the door dent.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
That's the easiest, and likely cheapest route but yeah paint match is a concern and the fact the car the replacement wing comes off is likely to have seen more miles than mine and may have chips/scratches of it's own. I guess I just have to take a look in person if I can but I think it'll be hard to tell until it's actually on the car.

How much will a new wing + painting set me back? Could that method provide an accurate paint match?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
That's an option as I mentioned - just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of the 3 different methods as I've never had to get a dent repaired before.

I did get a quote from some back-alley place a while back to repair both dents for £150 which sounded ok but not convinced it'll be a professional job. There's a wing on ebay currently not far from me for £75:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121138561067

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Good point tummely - I can still get it painted if the paint doesn't match (which the other 2 options require doing anyway).

I'll check out that wing I linked to as it could potentially save me quite a bit.

My local Ford dealer has quoted me £284.04 + VAT for a new primed wing.

Soldato
OP
XL is a higher load rating I believe. I don't think it is required on the Mondeo - I don't think my Conti SC5s are. I get more than 10k out of them though ;) highly recommended tyre

Imy

Imy

Soldato
The symbols also seem to indicate the XL has better fuel efficiency at the cost of being a bit louder over the non-XL. I wonder if it's better also with higher pressures? I'm running 40 PSI up front at the moment.

Well if I get the AS2's this time we'll be able to compare mileages although I do a lot more inner city driving than you.

Soldato
OP
All that basically shows is how ridiculous these new EU tyre ratings are. :)

I'd say my driving is 60/40 motorway and urban driving. I'll just check how much I got out of my last set of fronts..

Edit: 17k :)

Back
Top Bottom