Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Best person to make that call then is yourself. Sinking £900 into a car that's probably worth under £4k is a big move, but then again if you're going to run it for a long time then that point becomes fairly irrelevant.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Best person to make that call then is yourself. Sinking £900 into a car that's probably worth under £4k is a big move, but then again if you're going to run it for a long time then that point becomes fairly irrelevant.
Yes a very good point - it is a sizeable proportion of the car's value but then I've already spent a fair wad on a JP exhaust, xenons and a new head unit; I guess I'm in it for the long run :) I've always thought if I ever need a different car, I'll just run 2 cars. LPG conversion is always an option too.

£900 is the asking - hopefully can get it under that. Someone else has "first dibs" though so waiting to see what they offer.

:eek:

If you don't, I will...
Haha I'll let you know if it doesn't shift.

Soldato
OP
That's a rip off as surely you don't get the brackets or disks or pads? To use your alloy wheel analogy, surely it's better to just pay twice that and get the APs ;)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Haha

Carriers are included I believe but not discs or pads (same guy who I emailed before a while back). New Ford discs for the ASBOs are significantly cheaper when compared to the AP Racing ones.

Soldato
OP
Bit of a step down from the M5 surely? ;)

Worn suspension components mainly - subframe bushes and ARB drop links. Rear calipers and handbrake mechanisms (and handbrake cables) can stick - make sure the handbrake lever doesn't feel "floppy" or loose when you pull it up before it starts to engage. If you can get underneath check the underside of the sump and/or the gearbox aren't covered in oil - could be the crank seal that is leaking which is ££++ to sort, but it might also be the rocker cover or sump gaskets which are a lot easier to sort. I would expect you're not looking at the older prefacelift versions which were susceptible to rusty doors?

Make sure it's been serviced frequently with plenty of fresh oil etc. Otherwise it's just little niggly things that can be fixed fairly easily.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Aside from the usual stuff you'd check on any 2nd hand car, I can think of:
  • Sagging rear bumper (some pics in this thread)
  • Limited movement of passenger electric mirror
  • Seat electrics - check movement in all 8 directions
  • Seat heating - can be too hot or too cold but fairly normal for there not to be much difference between the 5 settings

Soldato
The M5 isn't going, it's just going to be a second more practical car.

It was registered in December 05 and has the ST220 badge on the front and red stitching inside so I think it's one of the final facelift ones unless they changed anything after that. The seller did mention that it had new rear calipers last year, and front wishbones I think? Also it's had a new clutch and flywheel 10,000 miles ago which seems like a plus point.

Soldato
OP
The rear bumper sag doesn't apply to the estates.

05 is the final facelift, yes. You're lucky in that you're just about escaping the 06+ VED raping, as well. Sounds like a decent example. What's the mileage?

Soldato
It's on 85,000 now, has most of the options ticked (Satnav, Xenons, Sunroof, Rear PDC).

Thanks for the pointers, I'm not expecting it to be in perfect condition but if it drives well and isn't in terrible condition it should be a good buy.

I can't be doing with another car that costs £490 a year to tax so I've ruled out anything much newer.

Soldato
The ad is here, it's Performance Blue and up at £2995. If I'm honest I'm expecting it to be shabby but I hope to be proved wrong! Luckily it's only about 10 miles away so if it's no good I won't waste much time and fuel going to see it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom