Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
I really like that, seems like a great buy. If it is in good condition and all drives nicely with no untoward behaviour then it should represent excellent value! I know it's nothing when you're coming from an E60 M5 but they really are a very well-rounded car.

Howard, does it look like carriers/brackets are included in this listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221287878472

It looks like you're getting some calipers and some discs and pads (that look like they've been dredged up from the bottom of a canal) so no, I would assume not, but it can't hurt to ask the seller.

As far as I understood it, the calipers aren't terribly hard to source, but the brackets appear to double the price of the whole situation :p It's all a great big con really because people on single-make forums appear to be rather gullible :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The prices seem quite condition-dependent. £1,895 is too cheap for a good 06. I'd rather pay more for one that has been well looked after, not chavved, and isn't shabby and in need of stuff doing.

It does affirm that mine is worth sweet FA, though :(

Soldato
Yeah a lot of them are tastelessly modified with black tints and horrible wheels, this one seems to be totally stock. The rear tints are the factory privacy glass option.

One thing I was surprised at was how much insurance is - I guess they must have a bit of a reputation. £450 a year on a multicar policy which is only £100 less than the M5!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks like a good'un, let us know how you get on :)

Edit: My insurance was only £417 which I thought was pretty cheap - they've never struck me as particularly dear to insure.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
It's all a great big con really because people on single-make forums appear to be rather gullible :D

What's a con? It seems to be a commonly held view the ASBO brake setup is a good improvement over standard. I *think* the calipers themselves are larger and possibly the piston too (guessing).

Soldato
OP
Yes but the price that manky old calipers seem to sell for has gone up substantially in recent years, often to more than you can buy new manufacturer-refurbished ones for, that's what I mean.

If I could get a set of clean second hand calipers and carriers for about £200 I'd probably go for it. Let's face it, they're hardly special. They're just a bit bigger than the standard Mondeo calipers, of which you can buy new Pagid items for £70 each :p

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Yeah I saw those (although without carriers as far as I can tell). What is Pagid though and do they differ from OEM?

Agree about the price. The forums are full of "I paid £80-£150 for mine" but when I look they are £300 at breakers yards and ebay.

Even so, £300 is a lot less than £900 and I'm wondering if I'm going to notice the difference between ASBOs and APs off the track.

As mentioned before, there's quite a difference in replacement brake disc cost also.

Soldato
OP
Pagid make decent quality OEM replacement stuff and they remanufacture old stuff. I've had no problems with any Pagid remanufactured calipers I've used.

I know what you mean, you may well notice the difference though in terms of bite and pedal feel. They'll look great too :D

The main reason I'd consider the Focus brake conversion is so they fill the wheels a bit better :D

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Whichever I go for, I will probably get them refurbed and professionally painted so got to factor that into the cost.

In the case of ASBOs I will probably get new discs and pads too seeing as they don't cost much.

Do Pagid do the carriers/brackets also? I couldn't find them. I think they are > £200 from Ford stealers.

Soldato
OP
No they're the only things you have to pay through the nose for, it seems!

You should be able to refurb them and paint them yourself given a weekend, before you put them on the car :)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Don't have the space, equipment or the will :)

The other guy who had first dibs has pulled out. I'm still concerned about the cost of replacement disks (£369) and that's for cheaper 3rd party ones (Godspeed).

Replacement OEM ASBO discs are only ~£90.

Refurb costs for 4-pot discs are obviously higher than single piston ones also.

Associate
Another thing I wanted to ask about the Mondeo. I get a slight rumbling sensation through the gearstick at about 1500-2000 rpm. Don't get it at any other time. I only notice it when driving in town just after I have changed up and the revs are low. Any ideas?

Soldato
Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
They're very nice if you want a large family wagon but I don't think they are an alternative to MK3 STs. They are quite a bit larger and not as sporty. The closest thing these days that Ford sell is the Focus ST estate I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom