• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's ditching 48XX for 58XX?

Associate
how have they lied to you?

The site said they had 10+ 5850's in stock, when they had none. Still said 10+ after my order was complete, so I thought I had nothing to worry about. Had I not taken the initiative and emailled them myself I would never have known! As it was they didn't reply until nearly 5, so my following-reply has gone unanswered.

Associate
Not me.

I needed graphics upgrade for two PCs and didn't really want to spend much more than £100 each. I was looking at the 4870 but then got enticed by the £121 4890 deal a few weeks ago.

My assumption was that only the 5850 would be in contention and that was going to be at least £180 and possibly not as fast as the 4890.

I must admit, over the last few years since buying an XBox 360 I have become a console convert - never imagined I would be.

Yes, I still maintain a reasonably good PC capable of gaming and do still enjoy PC gaming. But I do find the amount of money I'm prepared to spend on upgrading PCs (and I'm frugal by comparison) quite horrifying.

For example, I was perfectly happy with my PC and then I bought ARMA II. My graphics card wasn't up to it and my son's PC has been struggling with some games. So I've decided, upgrade the GFX on the two, upgrade my components and hand my old ones down to my son.

So I'm looking at

GFx - 2x £120 = £240
MoBo - £100
CPU - £150
Cooler - £30
RAM - £70
PSU - £70

Grand Total - £660

And all because I bought ARMA II !!!

Absolutely crazy really, I could buy an XBox 360 and a PS3 and have spare for upto 7 games for the price of the upgrade!

Of course I will still do it but I do wonder about the sanity of it sometimes.

Cheers,

Nigel

Soldato
Downgraded to a 260 after coming from a 280 and was pleasantly surprised. Handles my current games without any issues.

While I love new toys I think I will hold off for the 2GB Vapor-X. Might even try a water cooled X2.

Nice card

Associate
I'm going to get rid of my 4890 for a 5870 and get another in a few months, tho im wodering if to just get 2x5850s as i dont really do hardcore gaming anymore as few months back i bought a xbox and enjoy playing online lol tho i didn't think i would play it as much as i do, i only bought to kill my dad in gta lol, but i like to max things out and i got 24" monitor so my resolution is 1920x1200 what would you guys go with in mind that i will crossfire when i get another one.

Soldato
Im waiting to see how my 4850 handles some of next years games......

Because i only game at 1280x1024, my 4850 rips through anything i throw at it, and those it doesnt are because of CPU limitation, such as ARMAII and GTAIV...(even though i run a tri core/quad core @3.6ghz).

Battlefield 3 will be the real test, if it struggles, goodbye 4850, hello 5850......

5 yrs ago i would have been stupid enough to buy a new card at launch, not anymore...

As you get older you realise its not about spending more, but spending smarter.....

Associate
"hardcore gaming" meaning playing games all day maxed out in clans n all that but i work a lot now. And half of me says get the 5850 but the other half says get 5870 as i like the latest and best. And i find my graphics card cant max out everything as i was going to get another and cf but would be pointless as may aswell get 58 card and cf that.

Back
Top Bottom