why all the hate for hs2?

Soldato
Anyone else find it weird that the media have been all about hs2 for a few days? Nothing happened to cause that, it's not like they're reporting the news, they're trying to create the news.

Associate
And I believe they've already compulsory purchased quite a lot of property at inflated prices along the proposed line. Rest assured these will end up in the portfolio of a hedge fund headed up by a well respected tory peer for a rock bottom price.

Soldato
Anyone else find it weird that the media have been all about hs2 for a few days? Nothing happened to cause that, it's not like they're reporting the news, they're trying to create the news.

Not really. It’s been leaked that Sunak is binning it, and he’s not answering the questions. It’s also the Tory conference in Manchester.

That‘s political news for certain.

Soldato
So what's the point of HS2 again now then?

Other than creating transport links for people to commute into london
Well people like to complain that we have no high speed rail and why can't we be more like France or Germany or somewhere else that isn't the UK. The media like to report this as the Great British malaise then one day some politicians accidentally took it all seriously and committed to billions of pounds of spending. Shortly afterwards St Barts hospital was overrun with barristers whose palms had burnt from all the rapid rubbing. The general anti state community in the UK (read most of the establishment) proceeded to find every single way to make this seemingly good idea more expensive and painful. The bill finally turned up everyone **** the bedsheets and decided the good idea was a bad idea and the media got a fresh story from yesterdays news to bleet on about. All of the poeple who complained about not having something French or German like then complained about how much it cost. Then the man in charge said maybe I don't want to spend quite that much on a train set and the people got another chance to complain about the thing they wanted then didn't want getting cancelled, because it cost more than they really did or didn't want to pay. Depending on which way the wind is blowinng.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do find the eb and flow of post here interesting.

The media prints a few stories about how expensive it is and people post here saying it should be cancelled.

The media prints some stories to say the government may cancel it and people complain it’s being cancelled.

Almost like they are being told their opinion by the media…

Soldato
All this to make a train which will arrive in London about 10 minutes quicker. Assuming it turns up on time or isn't on strike.

We should have just bought the tech to make a maglev/bullet train from Japan. The US is building one which will hit 700kph. That's a true high speed train, even though the tech is old now. HS2 is just a regular train TBH.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I do find the eb and flow of post here interesting.

The media prints a few stories about how expensive it is and people post here saying it should be cancelled.

The media prints some stories to say the government may cancel it and people complain it’s being cancelled.

Almost like they are being told their opinion by the media…
There are many groups of people with differing opinions on aspects or the whole of the project, to infer there is only one opinion that shifts infantilises the individual.

At least with this singular railway there was a chance it could actually be finished and we'd have something for the trouble, instead we now get a vague promise of dozens of smaller projects that amounts to this funnel turning to a sieve and all same benefactors will just get bigger slices of the pie whilst we end up with... nothing.

Last edited:
Associate
All this to make a train which will arrive in London about 10 minutes quicker. Assuming it turns up on time or isn't on strike.

We should have just bought the tech to make a maglev/bullet train from Japan. The US is building one which will hit 700kph. That's a true high speed train, even though the tech is old now. HS2 is just a regular train TBH.
Capacity is what (would) have made HS2 a success, the speed thing is always easy sell to the public but largely mute.

Soldato
I vividly remember some bod on LBC breakfast around 5/6 years ago saying the north to Birmingham leg would never get built. He said the only way to guarantee it got built was to start it in Manchester (cos they'd never scrap the london section, despite the london bits costing a hell of a lot more).

I think virtually everyone knew this was going to happen.

I always said that too, if they had faith in HS2 being completed then they would have started from the North and worked down to London.

UK Government are a bunch of jokers. Everything is built and formed around London, a city which is over populated already. While the rest of the UK major cities crumbles due to lack of funding.

Soldato
To reduced the commute by a massive 12 minutes compared to the current infrastructure :rolleyes:
It could also be characterised as additional parallel capacity that is immune to knock on effects from other network users unlike the existing lines.

I would love to have seen this build with an EDS maglev system whizzing along at 350mph, a genuine alternative flying at least for the short journey market. But that's the engineer in me speaking.

Soldato
I always said that too, if they had faith in HS2 being completed then they would have started from the North and worked down to London.

UK Government are a bunch of jokers. Everything is built and formed around London, a city which is over populated already. While the rest of the UK major cities crumbles due to lack of funding.

Would have likely gotten further south for less money.

Soldato
It could also be characterised as additional parallel capacity that is immune to knock on effects from other network users unlike the existing lines.

I would love to have seen this build with an EDS maglev system whizzing along at 350mph, a genuine alternative flying at least for the short journey market. But that's the engineer in me speaking.

Seems to me we are wasting billions on yesterday's technology, are these trains actually as fast as say Japan/France?

Soldato
This seems another situation, like covid, of government moving billions of tax payer money in to private hands (their mates?).

It's starting to become obvious these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to me we are wasting billions on yesterday's technology, are these trains actually as fast as say Japan/France?
Actually yes, the top operating speed of 225mph is faster than anything in France or Japan. One could argue we dont need that speed, its caused all sorts of issues with the routing, a slightly lower speed would have delivered many of the benefits at far lower cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe these are effectively the same speed as the French TGV, HS1 was built to that standard for interoperability. The Japanese SC Maglev is about 100mph faster it uses electro dynamic suspension type maglev which is highly fault tolerant because induced current from movement creates the lift. So in the event power was lost the forward momentum would make it float until the speed has dropped low enough that it drops onto some wheels. Super clever system, but would be expensive per mile because the track has to act as a linear induction motor would also one assumes require quite substantial electrical equipment along it's length to work. But it would be really fast. The same fundamental technology could be updated in the future to vac tubes which increases the speed further.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom