Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Last time I looked into this going full vegetarian and everyone dropping meat meant causing twice as much pollution and industry as we have now. Hurting climate change even worse then the current behavior. Everyone going vegetarian is less space efficient and causes all sorts of scaling problems that would lead to more pollution and worse climate change. If we all dropped meat things like Rice production would increase and Rice agriculture accelerates global warming more then the meat industry: Some of the largest produces of methane come from growing Vegetarian food and in many ways this is worse then meat production. If you are really worryed about that environment you should be dropping things like rice and switching to meat. Over half of all methane is produced by the agriculture industry and if we all dropped meat and changed to vegetarian that would only get worse, much worse.

Don't forget we have to grow extra food we could be eating in order to feed the meat industry, so I'm not sure where you think scaling down meat means scaling up everything else because I'm pretty sure the food not needed for the meat industry would cater for the excess demand from loss of meat and your numbers on co2 production are way off

Caporegime
Then you're not the target audience if you're responsible enough to change your behaviour.

If you had a neighbour who was murdering people daily, would you respect his life decision or would you question his morals ?

Clutching at straws, if murdering people is legal then who am i to judge?

btw, i haven’t really changed my behaviour, I’ve always been this way as long as i remember. Where as OP has lived decades eating meat and only recently changed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have never done this. Interesting. Sounds fun. Don't you feel sorry for it though? There's such a disassociation when buying stuff from the supermarket.

It's pretty easy to keep ducks and chickens too, yes I've killed several, no I've never felt sorry for doing it and yes fresh meat is much tastier than the weeks old trash you get from super markets

Caporegime
I think this is where vegans fail.
When you start comrparing human life to a cows life and start using the word murder.
Then often using morality as a guilt trip.
There's nothing imoral about eating meat....

Soldato
I have never done this. Interesting. Sounds fun. Don't you feel sorry for it though? There's such a disassociation when buying stuff from the supermarket.
I don't feel sorry for it no, I respect it and kill it quickly though. You're right thpugh buying stuff in the supermarket is so far disconnected from killing the animal, I'd bet most people have no idea how their food is killed.

Soldato
Oh man, this squirrel was gorgeous.

Surprisingly fatty, texture like a lamb chop, the fat really crisped up on the outside.

Taste wise I'd say closest to pork.

Here is the thing, squirrel is an invasive species, eating it is environmental friendly. So put that in your vegan pipe and smoke it.

Soldato
IMG-20220601-180403.jpg

Squirrel anyone?

Did some recently in a Paella.

Not that expensive and quite tasty.

Soldato

Don't forget we have to grow extra food we could be eating in order to feed the meat industry, so I'm not sure where you think scaling down meat means scaling up everything else because I'm pretty sure the food not needed for the meat industry would cater for the excess demand from loss of meat and your numbers on co2 production are way off
The food we grow for the meat industry doesnt remotely match and swap to the food we need to grow for a healthy vegetarian diet as we cannot eat the same food as animals eat. The food we let sheep eat often does not translate into land we can grow vegetarian food to feed ourselves. There is no way the food for the meat industry could cater for the food we all would need to all become vegetarian. If we did that we would be massively increasing pollution.

My numbers are not way off. Its not just that growing large scale Vegetarian food is environmentally unfriendly its that you need more space to grow and more machinery to deal with all this extra space. For example grass grown via the sun and rain which is a large amount of what is grown and fed to the meat industry is orders of magnitude more environmentally friendly then Vegetarians getting the same amount of food from rice. Likewise growing plants and stuff vegetarians eat like rice produces worse pollution then growing the equivalent amount in food for animals. I think it was something like rice alone makes up 20% of agriculture footprint in terms of pollution and if we all went vegetarian the pollution scaling up from rice alone would be worse then the entire meat industry and that doesnt even factor in all the other pollution all the other vegetarian foods would increase by.

"I guess vegans/veggies get such a harsh knockback from people being called out on their behaviour because they know deep down it's the easiest planet harming behaviour to change, they just don't want to because they enjoy meat too much and that's fine if you can live with dooming future generations on your conscience"https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35645576/react?reaction_id=1
Growling Vegetarians food like rice produces mass amounts of methane, a greenhouse gas more than 30 times as potent then carbon dioxide. The methane from a Vegetarian diet is massively worse for the environment then the co2 from a meat/hybrid diet. A Vegetarians diet is a major contributor to global greenhouse gas emissions. Vegetarian diets accelerate global warming. If everyone changed from meat to Vegetarian global warming would get worse once you factor in the scaling pollution costs of a Vegetarians diet. Its not all about c02 its the methane from Vegetarian production which is much, much worse then co2 from the meat Industry.

Soldato
OP
That depends if we are talking about the lamb being alive or dead when you cut the foot off. If its already dead then yes its the same. Which is why being a vegetarian is not any better from a moral point of view.

No I am not joking as both are living organisms that you kill. I don't think its wrong to eat meat when the source it comes from didn't suffer. Some plants do have a system that does a similar job as a central nervous system and they do feel the environment around them and know when they are being damaged as they can communicate damage to the rest of the plant. Plants communicate distress with there own kind of nervous system. A few years back I was reading a study by biologists on Mustrad plants and how they use the same type of signals as animals to relay distress.

So if its about suffering you are ok with eating meat that does not suffer? What about when the animal doesnt have a brain or doesnt have a central nervous system is it ok to eat then? If not then just why is that not ok but a plant is? I can understand not wanting to eat meat from sources that suffered like the big breeding factory's but I don't see any reason to not eat meant from a source that did not suffer. Doing so is no different then eating plants. There are lots of reason to be a vegetarian but I don't see vegetarians as better from a moral point of view.

Obviously im talking about if the lamb and plant is alive, they 100% do not suffer in the same way. And no I wouldn't be ok with it because animals still suffer when they are killed, there's no such thing as "humane slaughter", you can kill with LESS suffering but they still suffer to some degree and you're ultimately still taking their life. And You still eat plants though right?

But this is really besides the point, we can't survive on a "meat" only diet, wheres as we have to eat at least some plants.

No, no they're not. You only have to look at how we farm beef, for example, and compare that to the states to realise that we have a lot higher standards.

Oh yea I dont disagree, some countries have even more appalling standards or none at all, but I was actually referring standard practices in the dairy industry.

Hardly an unbiased story. It's full of emotionally charged language to draw outrage from people who have no actual lived experiences of farming.

From the article:

So we have Animal Equality who have an agenda claiming a breach and we have officials from Trading Standards rebutting this claim. Hardly damning

I will stop here otherwise this post could be much much longer as the Guardian article can be ripped to shreds by anyone who even has the slightest of knowledge, something the writer does not.

You should do yourself a favour and go visit an animal operation (beef, sheep, dairy etc) and get some actual first hand experience rather than reading heavily biased articles where the writer is either lazy, has an agenda or both.

It may benefit others here too.

Oh, TLDR - linked Guardian article is full of crap.
Thanks for the info, the problem I have with industry bodies like trading standards or the FSA is that the slaughterhouse footage that turned me vegan that clearly must be breaching some standards by bolt gunning a cow 3 times (waiting in between each shot) and cutting the throat of a cow while not properly stunned was signed off by the FSA.... so you might understand why im skeptical of what they say. https://www.clactonandfrintongazett...lacton-slaughterhouse-recording-secret-video/

Ignoring the "emotional charged language" Cows are indeed maternal animals and ive seen cows following vans across a field after the farmer has just taken away its calf. This is cruelty and something im obviously against, then this will happen again and again to this cow correct? Until its "spent" then ultimately killed anyway, so you see my point?

I actually grew up near a dairy farm when I was 8-18, something never did sit right with me seeing the cows hind legs tied together with rope and their massive unnatural looking udders.... wasnt aware of the other stuff though.

1. How did you think cows were slaughtered? Bolt to the head which stuns them is about the most humane way possible currently.

2. Pretty sure cockrels don't lay eggs so that makes sense.

3. tail docking is fairly common, done for a multitude of reasons, tooth trimming is done to prevent damage to the sows teats when feeding. When a piglets starts feeding they take ownership of a teat and will defend it, trimming of the incisors prevents damage to the sow and other piglets if they get feisty.

I respect your choice to not eat meat, I also don't care what you think other people should/should not do.

It doesnt always work, ive seen video footage of this not happening, it can require more than one bolt. But even if it takes one bolt its irrelevant you're still paying someone to take their life unnecessarily. Cows can live up to 20yrs.

Yes reasons including they get so stressed out in their poor conditions they bite each others tails, and this is before we even mention the being forced into a cage and gassed where they scream and thrash about.

I respect your choice to eat meat about as much as I respect people who use dogs for fighting or other people who abuse animals.

Soldato
I don’t particularly like salmon, but a rod and line caught salmon is much tastier than store bought. Same with trout or mackerel (only other fish I’ve caught on a myself) fresh mackerel is especially much tastier than store bought.
Mack is great and relatively one of the easiest to catch providing you're in the right place at the right time or you've got a boat

Soldato
OP
Last time I looked into this going full vegetarian and everyone dropping meat meant causing twice as much pollution and industry as we have now. Hurting climate change even worse then the current behavior. Everyone going vegetarian is less space efficient and causes all sorts of scaling problems that would lead to more pollution and worse climate change. If we all dropped meat things like Rice production would increase and Rice agriculture accelerates global warming more then the meat industry: Some of the largest produces of methane come from growing Vegetarian food and in many ways this is worse then meat production. If you are really worryed about that environment you should be dropping things like rice and switching to meat. Over half of all methane is produced by the agriculture industry and if we all dropped meat and changed to vegetarian that would only get worse, much worse.

You didn't look very hard then. And you seem confused, you keep mentioning vegetarianism, im not promoting that. And the environment aspect, again which im not promoting, it just so happens that being a vegan is also good for the planet.

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom